Writing Words To The Music In Her Head

Awkward

“This is going to be so awesome”, Lucy exclaimed. “We so have to play truth or dare!”

I rolled my eyes.

“No thanks”, I retorted. “If you only knew what kind off trouble I've gotten into because of a dare...”

“Stop being so boring, Sarah!” Lucy sighed. “I can always dare Mike to kiss you.”

She winked at me and I smiled, but I was already starting to regret inviting her to our little 'sleep over', which would include Green Day, me and Lucy. I tended to embarrass myself when I spent time with more than two other people. Or at least I thought I embarrassed myself...

By the way I really liked Lucy outfit today. She was wearing a pair of skinny, gray jeans and a baby blue college-shirt. I really liked how the blue contrasted to her light blond hair, and how it complimented her blue eyes. When I told her that she just blushed and shrugged it off, but I really thought she looked great.

On our way to lunch Lucy couldn't stop talking.

“Do you have that album Nevermind by Nirvana?” She asked.

“Um, no”, I answered. “I've never heard of them.”

She just stared at me.

“Do you ever listen to the radio?” She gasped. “'Smells Like Teen Spirits' is like the most popular song ever! It's played every third song you know!”

“Yeah, between every nice chat with the DJ and the endless commercials”, I sighed.

I didn't want to admit that I actually had heard that song. I mean seriously – who had missed it? I never listened to the radio but that album was played in every CD-store imaginable. I swear, they played it in outer space if there was life there.

“I'll have to lone you that CD sometime”, she said. “It's freaking awesome! And the Kurt, the singer, is so hooot.... I think I'm in love.”

When I laughed, she blushed again. I thought she acted really cute.

“You shouldn't check up things about some Nirvana, when your spending time with Green Day this weekend”, I reminded her.

“Do you think they'll want me to be a fan?” She asked, clearly nervous.

“Want you to?” I replied. “I don't think they'll care.”

She sighed in relief, as if I just picked up a stone from the bottom of her stomach.

Anyways, truth was that I really liked that Nirvana song. I hadn't heard of them before but that song rocked, and Lucy just danced around, singing their lyrics all the time.

Somewhere I've heard this before
in my dream my memory has stored
As a defense I'm neutered sprayed.
What the hell am I trying to say?
” She sang.

And this girl said that music didn't affect her? Pff. That was long gone by now. She was crazy about them.

* * * * *

When I got home I changed my clothes to a pair of blue jeans and a gray t-shirt. Yeah, kinda normal, but it would have to due.
While my hands were in my hair and the toothbrush was in my mouth, I heard someone knock on the front door.

Shit. I wasn't expecting anyone to come before five. I took a look at the clock. A quarter to five. I grinned, spit out the tootpaste and let my hair fall to the sides. There was nothing I could do about it anyway, it looked ridiculous. And when I say that, I don't mean ridiculously cool, I mean butt ugly. But it always looked that way, people would have to get used to it sooner or later.

I opened the door, and on the doorstep stood Mike. His blond, shaggy hair was in it's normal 'I just woke up'-style, and he was wearing a pair of baggy jeans and a skinny, gray t-shirt. I looked down on my own outfit. We had dressed kind off alike.

“Um, hi”, I mumbled. “Come in.”

“Thanks”, he smiled and hugged me.

My heart fluttered, but I pulled away soon. I wasn't the body-contact kind off person. Y'know?
So there we were, in the middle of the hall. Mike looking hot and me looking like I always did. Like a complete freak show.
My eyes screamed 'Get used to it', but I didn't think that Mike noticed anything. He just stood there, tapping his foot to fill the silence that was embracing us like a sweaty pedophile. Gross.

“So...”, Mike cleared his throat. “When are the others arriving?”

“Um, in 10 minutes or something”, I answered.

Awkward....
I was always so shy when Tré wasn't around. It was like he was a safe shield around me, so I couldn't really feel safe without him. I never cared for what other thought of me when he was around, because I knew that he would stay by my side even though nobody else did.

So when I was here, alone with Mike, it felt like he wanted to run away and scream on the top of his lungs, because I was such a freak.

Paranoia? Yes. Surprised? No. Thought so.

“About the time y'know, when we met”, Mike suddenly spoke.

“Yeah?” I answered.

But right in that moment, the door bust open and in ran Billie and Tré, like the party animals they were. Shouting in excitement and Billie kissed Mike's cheek. It actually looked kinda sweet.

Tré smiled.

“When is Lucy coming?” he asked.

“Wait – another girl's coming?” Mike asked, surprised.

“Yeah, Sarah's lame friend is coming”, Tré replied.

“She's not lame”, I retorted.

“Sure, she isn't.” He nodded sarcastically and pinched my cheek, as if I was a child.

I shook my head to get out of his grip, and in walked Lucy. She was still wearing those cool clothes she wore in School, and it made me so proud of her that I wanted to hug her, almost.

“Hi”, she said.

“Hi”, Billie, Tré and Mike nodded in unision.

Dead silence.

Awkward....