Drunk in Paris

La Vie antérieure

Point du vu du Billie Joe

She hasn’t spoken to me for ages. She isn’t the only one either. Brittany has refused to speak to me over the Sarah thing and Mike has been literally locked in the house from me till his fiancée sees fit to relive him. He’s such a fool when it comes to that woman. He needs to grow some balls when it comes to bloody Brittany.
I’m not happy.
I’ve been at the studio all this week, messing around with the few songs that I’ve got.
The boys are glad I’m back, they don’t seem to care that Sarah isn’t around at the house any more; I get the feeling that they disliked her more than Ava.
They are behaving themselves this week but then again so am I.
We all know what’s coming…that day. That day will be horrible and when it finally arrives all three of us will be walking around in a zombie-like state once more.
God I hate this month.
The sick feeling I get when Ava doesn’t answer phone isn’t helping. I wonder what’s wrong with her. I couldn’t shake the feeling that she had fallen for some French bastard who claimed to be a descendant of that poet she likes. I knew she had sorted herself out now but I still had this spinning web of worry in the back of my mind, what if she couldn’t shake that Charles guy?
He said to me he would stay out of her life until she contacted him, but what if she just snapped and called him again? I don’t think I could compete with Charles, he knew all about wine and literature and what do I know about stuff like that?
There’s wine and there’s beer and that’s it.
He spoke to me quite nicely down the phone when I rang him; he just seemed very protective over her.
But I’ve found myself feeling the same way towards her, I want to just hold her, make her feel safe, make sure she knew I was always here.
That’s why I bought her those earrings. I wanted to be more like him, I thought he would do that; he would just lavish something so expensive on her. She didn’t seem too thrilled by them; I can’t even do that right.
Maybe I should just vent all of this shit into a song,
Now,
What rhymes with fuck up?

Point du vu du Ava

I stood nervously at the bottom of the electric gates that towered in front of the building. I was positive this was the right house, I remembered the lush green lawn littered with abandoned balls that sat comfortably in front of the bricked building.
I shuffled on my feet nervously as I willed my index finger to push the intercom.
“Hello can I help you?”
It was a female voice, my eyes narrowed in worry behind my sunglasses, who was this? Was this Sarah?
“Err, Hello, I’m a friend of Billie Joe’s and…”
“I’m sorry but he isn’t here…”
I panicked then, whoever this woman was now she thought I was a crazed fan.
“Oh, no, no…I’m sorry I think we have misunderstood each other, my name is Ava Crawford and…”
The intercom fell silent.
I fidgeted with my gold bracelet as I waited for a reply.
“Oh”
“May I come in?”
The silence returned, and then sharp intakes of breath hovered across the speaker.
“I suppose so.”
The gates opened slowly and I slinked through the parting to begin my short walk up to the front door.
It opened before I got to attach my knuckles to its wooden surface. The woman who stood there was pretty, with dark hair and friendly eyes. Her smile seemed somewhat forced but quite familiar.
“Hello.”
“Hello I’m Ava” I smiled reaching forwards and taking hold of her outstretched hand.
“I’m Holly, Billie’s sister, come in; he’s not here at the moment…”
She looked me up and down for a second before gesturing me to follow her.
I walked into the familiar surroundings of Billie’s house, his scent erupting from the very walls and sending shivers through my back. So, Holly, this was one of his sisters, she certainly looked a lot like him.

“I was just dropping off some groceries for him and the boys, but then I decided I may as well surprise him with dinner but I’m sure he’ll be more shocked to see you.” She grinned at me as she led me through the hall.

As she took me into the kitchen a funny feeling erupted in the soles of my feet when I saw THAT particular kitchen island from my first visit to this house.
“He doesn’t know you’re here then?”
I shook my head as I stood uncomfortably watching her as she continue to cook.
“Err, no, I thought I would, like you said, surprise him.”
She nodded her head as she stirred at the pasta on the stove. The aroma wafted through my nostrils, reminding my stomach that I hadn’t eaten for a while.

“So I thought you lived in Paris…”
“Oh I do, I have some time off so I thought I would come over and see Billie.”
She turned to the cabinet to shuffle amongst the contents.
“You’re welcome to stay for dinner…”
“Thank you, do you need any help?”
She turned to look at me a small sign of horror showing on her face, “Can you tell?”
I giggled, “Oh no, no, I just offered…” In that very moment, I immediately warmed to this girl; I saw a small part of Billie in her.
“I’m having trouble cooking this pasta thing; I wish I hadn’t attempted it now.”
I smiled, removing my coat and placing it on the back of a kitchen stool.
“Let me see” I clacked over to the steaming stove.
“Well…I’m no chef but I suspect it just needs a little…” I began rummaging through Billie’s cupboards.
“…Ah! Basil…does he have any peppers?”
Holly shrugged and dashed over to the vegetables to inspect the collection in a small basket that lay abandoned in the corner.
“Yeah, here…”
“Thank you” I smiled, beginning to stir the pasta. She watched with interest, looking slightly relieved that she could just sit back and watch me take over the kitchen.

“Wow, so you’re French yeah? Is that why you can cook so well?”
I giggled as we sat opposite each other with mugs of coffee, the dinner simmering till Billie and his sons got back.
“No I’m English, but I live in Paris. I’m not a good cook, I just I don’t know…do it because I have to?”
She nodded at me,
“Well I’m glad you came along, otherwise I would have ordered in and looked like an utter fool. Billie would go on about it for months.”
I giggled, “He’s not exactly a master chef.”
She laughed as she placed the coffee on the table in front of her, “I know he’s such a pain in the ass.”
I chuckled into my own mug. Holly reminded me of Billie, it was her nose, she had his same perfect little nose and gleaming eyes. I was intrigued to meet the rest of Billie’s family; I wondered whether they were just as sweet.
“So, how many siblings does Billie have?”
She grinned, “There are six of us, and Billie is the youngest.”
I nodded with interest, “Six? That’s a lot”
Holly chuckled, “I know, we’re a huge family; you should see us all at Christmas.”
“I haven’t met any of Billie’s family before.”
Holly smiled, “Billie’s really busy though, I mean he doesn’t have time for a lot of normal things. We never see him as much as we would like to.”

I nodded again as I heard the front door slam loudly. My heart thudded as I heard his voice yell something as loud plundering footsteps echoed up the stairs.

“Hey Holl, how are you?” That voice wafted over the top of my head and I froze in anticipation. He grew silent for a moment and I pictured him craning his head trying to look at my face…

“AVA?”
I giggled, before I swirled around to meet with Billie’s open mouth.
He stood staring at me, jaw loose, navy polo shirt frozen, black Adeline cap tilted to one side and a gleaming whistle around his neck.
I glanced at the whistle strangely before practically diving on him.
The feeling of his strong protective arms made me quiver in excitement, “Hey Billie” I whispered as he clung on to me tightly.
“Ava…what are you doing here?” he asked his palms running smooth lines down my arms as he pulled away to look at me.
I smiled, “I had some time off”
He nodded at me, eyes shining.
“I missed you” I sighed wanting nothing more than to dive back into those arms once again.
“Ava, you, you haven’t called or anything I mean… I thought...what?”
I swallowed, shuffling on my feet, very aware that Holly was watching closely behind us.
“I’ve been to England…” I felt tears prick behind my eyes, oh god, don’t cry, don’t…

“Charles…Charles died”

I collapsed into his stunned arms; too scared to look into his sweet face for fear that I would just plummet to the floor.
“Oh Ava, I’m sorry, I’m so sorry…”
He stroked my hair tenderly, his arms gripping tighter around my frame. I sobbed into his neck for what felt like an eternity.
He stood holding me and I felt like I was home. His arms, his smell, his body was home for me, the comfort they produced made my calves turn to jelly, I wanted to stay here forever.
I had waited hours for this moment; I’d made myself so sick with worry and grief…
Oh God I loved this man more than I could ever show.
“Come on…” he led me into the living room after nodding slightly at Holly, pulling me down next to him on the couch he tugged me closer.
“Come on now, I’m sorry, Oh Ava I’m so sorry, I know how it feels, I know…”

I sobbed harder into him, not knowing why I was crying like this. I thought I had gotten over Charles’ death, but within Billie’s arms everything became emotionally heightened.
My heart ached as he rocked my slowly, his smell intoxicating every sense I possessed.
I wiped my eyes, his hand clutching my free palm tightly,
“Are you okay? Want something to eat now?”
I nodded in reply as he pulled me towards the, now closed, kitchen door.
He turned to look at me as I fussed with my running makeup.
“You look beautiful”
I let out a choked sob.
He suddenly whisked down and planted a soft lingering kiss on my lips.
“I’m so glad you came…are you alright now…sure?”
I nodded again as he turned the door handle and entered the kitchen.

Holly sat at the table with Joe and Jake whose smiles were quite unsure towards me. They probably thought I would never come back.
Holly smiled at me, giving me a friendly nod as I sat down next to her.
“Holly did you cook this?” Billie asked frowning at his plate.
She cringed at me and I giggled, “Yeah she did Billie, it smelt gorgeous when I walked in before”
The singer looked up at us, eyebrows raised, “And you expect me to believe that? She can’t tell the difference between salt and pepper.”
I chuckled as Holly frowned, “excuse me I’m a better cook than you.”
“She is Dad; remember when you gave us food poisoning?”
We all turned to Joe who sniggered across his fork at his father’s horrified reaction.
“Next baseball practice you’re doing 50 sit ups for that comment kid.”
Joe laughed as his father winked at him.
“Is that what the whistle is for? I was going to ask” I smiled, sipping at the water in front of me.
Billie nodded, “I am the best assistant baseball coach ever… you’d have to be coaching this lot over here…” he gestured to his two sons who rolled their eyes amusingly.

“He fell on his ass this practice” Jake snorted as everyone started laughing at Billie who began to pout like a spoilt child.
“Why am I being the subject of all this abuse?” He asked quite sharply, enjoyment clearly showing on his face.
Everyone giggled again.
“I help out when I can Ava, I enjoy it.”
I nodded, “I’ll have to come to the next practice and watch you fall on your ass”
“God it was so funny” Joe snorted as his brother joined in.
“Yeah, he just went flying backwards”

Billie smiled at me, ignoring his son’s comments “Yeah the next one is on… it’s…err…it’s…”
“…Wednesday” Joe finished his sentence as I withheld a laugh.
“…yeah Wednesday” Billie repeated shoveling another mouthful of food between his lips.
As Joe, Jake and himself told me and Holly about the finer aspects of the Baseball League I wondered why this was running so smoothly.
I was quite relieved that Joe and Jake were being tolerant towards me; Holly must have told them I was upset. They kept giving me small smiles which were quite surprising, but still scary…maybe they had plans to place a skateboard at the top of the stairs for me to conveniently trip over.

Holly went home after dinner and I and Billie were left in the kitchen, staring at the empty plates like they would magically get up and clean themselves.
“So where are you staying?”
I turned to him slowly, “Just outside of town, it’s a small hotel, it’s quite cute.”
“That’s silly, stay here”
I smiled at him, “Is that a good idea? With Joe and Jake?”
“It’s my house…stay here…they are fine…please.”
I nodded at him, “Okay, I’ll stay.”
He rose from his chair with a grin plastered under his nose fervently.
“So, err…how have you been then? Is that a silly question?”
I stood up also and began to collect the used dishes, stocking the dishwasher as I answered him.
“I’ve been, well, accepting I suppose. I don’t normally break out into tears like that, I think I’m okay, maybe just seeing you triggered something.”
He exhaled, “Well I do have that effect.”
I shook my head, “Yes I know. You make me cry and send me hurtling to the floor at every opportunity.”
He chuckled before pausing for a moment.
“So, err…what did…how did he..?”
“He had heart disease, probably from all those cigars and divorces; I suppose it doesn’t do your health much good.”
“No I suppose”
I closed the door to the dishwasher and leant against it, looking at my blue heels like they fascinated me.
“You will never guess what he left me…”
I felt Billie move next to me and lean against the counter top in a similar fashion.
“A broken heart?”
I inhaled, “No, which has surprised me, but he…he left me a title.”
“What?” the man next to me shifted, “Like a HRH thing?”
I nodded.
“Lady Ava Crawford Winchester to you now”
Billie burst out laughing, “You’re kidding right?”
I chuckled and shook my head, “No, err…I think he did it to annoy all his relatives, he did have a wicked sense of humor.”
Billie was doubled over laughing, “That’s…hilarious…”
I chuckled, “I know, I know…”
Billie shook with laughter as he tried to regain control.
“That’s hot.”
I sniggered as his fingers trailed a line down my cheek.
“So, my Lady Ava, do have any royal duties to perform?”
I whispered, “No, I don’t actually do anything with it, it did help me to get a plane over here though.”
“Well it does have its uses then doesn’t it?”
His voice became murderously gruff and my stomach tossed as his lips moved lower and lower to my own. They seemed to take an eternity to finally join with mine but as soon as they did I melted against him like an ice cream in the sun.
I pulled away slowly and he smirked at me.
“Well then your majesty, ladyship, duchess Ava lets go get your stuff from that hotel”
“I wish I hadn’t of told you now”