Status: In the works!

Close My Eyes,and Fly

Close My Eyes, and Fly - The Cult

“Aaron! So nice of you to join us!” Mr. Welch said warmly as Aaron entered the classroom on Friday. She had spent the week recuperating enough to walk without a substantial amount of pain and she was ready for the accumulated make-up work she would get to do this weekend.
“Jack told us about your little slip, I trust you’re feeling better?”, Aaron nodded and walked back to her seat. Her movements were no longer robotic like, and she slid into her seat with ease, Jack was already in his.
“Nice to see you again Aragorn” Jack said warmly, placing his hand gently on her shoulder. Aaron plastered a smile on her face and turned around, “Madison told me the good news” she said, watching his face for any give away as to the events of their date.
As no surprise to Aaron Madison hadn’t called her with the details, and truth be told she was relieved. Aaron had spent the last few days with Scott, the two of them had spend their evenings cuddled on the couch enjoying reruns of The Office. Aaron hadn’t wanted any news from Madison to ruin the good week she intended on having with her new significant other.
“Oh, yeah.. I hope you’re okay with that..” Jack said, his face falling. “Yeah, go for it.” Aaron said flatly. “Yeah, madison told me you’re good news too” Jack responded, Aaron couldn’t tell if he was upset or genuinely happy for her so she took it for what it was, no deeper meaning. “Thanks..” She said, before awkwardly spinning around in her seat.
As she had anticipated, Aaron was loaded up with makeup work as she approached Mr.Welch’s desk at lunch. There was an assortment of grammar and reading questions to keep her busy for the remainder of the weekend, and she groaned at the idea of spending the beautiful weather indoors calculating how many dependent clauses there were in a paragraph.
“Hey beautiful” Scott said as Aaron exited the school later that afternoon. it was warm sunny day and Scott looked as handsome as ever leaned up against his car, his hands dug into his pockets. He pecked her on the lips as she reached him and embraced her in a gentle hug, being careful not to disturbed the bandages. “How are you feeling today” he said, his arms locked around her waist. “I have so much makeup work to do” She pouted, looking him in the eyes.
Out of the corner of her eye Aaron could make out Jacks figure watching them from a distance, his arms clutching either side of his bike but is figure staying as still as a statue, as if he had been struck by some immediate shock. Aaron smirked to herself and leaned in for another kiss, savoring the moment. She didn’t look again at Jack, she only heard the sound of his motorcycle kick off and then zoom down the road and out of earshot.

“I got a job” Aaron said, laying across the couch her head resting on Scotts lap. It was saturday afternoon and after much delay on starting her makeup work Scott had convinced her to sit down and finish it once and for all. “Is that so?” Scott said, looking up from the novel he was reading, he raised an eyebrow and smiled. “and where might that be little missy?” he said. Aaron laughed, “It’s actually at the coffee shop you got fired from.. they were looking for a new waitress, seems they haven’t filled your spot yet” Aaron said, scribbling down some nonsense about verb agreement.
“Thats great babe” He said, leaning down and kissing her forehead. “At least they didn’t give it to some incompetent idiot” “Oh don’t be so sure about that!” Aaron said, motioning to her burn wounds that were healing but still painful to the touch. “You’ll do great honey, I have faith in you” He said, before returning to his book.
The truth was, after strong letter of recommendation from Mrs. Caillage Aaron had managed to land the job at the coffee shop down the road. She had told the manager about her current condition but promised she would be able to start wednesday of next week after she had long enough time to recover from her burns and the extremely strong effect of the Oxycodine her doctor had prescribed.
Aaron had never waited tables before truth be told, and so the idea of serving people beverages and hot food or maybe even cold food intimidated her. The night before her big day Aaron hadn’t spoken to Jack or Madison in days. She didn’t know the current status of their relationship and she didn’t know the current status of their friendship. She had the sneaking suspicion that after her display on friday her and Jack were no longer on friend terms, and she was proven correct when he came into her work on that wednesday afternoon with his friends.
“I’ll have an ice tea but I want it unsweetened and just a tiny hint of lemon cut no more than a 1/4 of an inch thick.” Jack said, not looking up from the menu. Across from him his friends snickered. Aaron sighed and tucked her pen and pad back into her apron, sulking off into the kitchen to prepare their obscurely ordered drinks.
“Great, back to this.” Aaron thought, as she sliced the lemon an half and casually dropped it into his drink. “That isn’t a forth of an inch” Jack said as she approached the table wtih the tray in her hands. Aaron grumbled and put it on the table “Than how about you cut it to that.” she said bitterly, sliding the drink in his direction.
Jack smirked at her and sipped it. “On second thought, I think i’ll have a coke” He said, sliding it back in her direction. Aaron sighed and walked back to the kitchen. She knew that his behavior was warranted, but she didn’t expect him to be such an ass, especially in front of his friends who thought she was a joke anyway.
When Aaron returned she took their order. “I’ll have a burger sweet thing” One of the boys said. Aaron looked at him trying to understand why he decided to wear a sweatshirt in the middle of summer. “ But I want it cooked well done, and I want my fries burning hot” he said, sipping at his drink and winking at her.
There were four boys jammed into the booth in Aaron’s section. Jack was sitting on the inside next to the window, his arm casually draped over the window sill. The other boys were sprawled out, one of them had their leg rudely sticking out into the isle of the restaurant.
When Aaron turned to return to the kitchen, the boy who ordered a hamburger leaned out and smacked Aaron on the butt, the other boys laughed, all except Jack.
“Bro, what the fuck, we don’t treat women like that” he snapped, looking at Aaron who had chosen not to turn around and acknowledge them. Instead, she walked silently back into the kitchen as tears filled her eyes.
“What’s the big deal man, we’re just messing around., just like you were” one of them said. “Yeah, but I’m not sexually harassing her” Jack said, shoving the boy out of the way as he exited the booth.
Aaron watched as Jack stormed out of the restaurant, his fists were clenched in rage and his normally handsome face twisted with anger.
“What the hell is his problem” She heard one of the boys say as they watched Jack exit the restaurant. “Probably has the hots for her” Another one said, rolling his eyes and crumpling up bits of napkin and throwing it across the table.
Aaron turned from the door And wandered back into the kitchen the depth of the kitchen. Around her chefs were buzzing around, dropping pots and pans onto hot stoves and picking up food from trays, arranging them particularly on a plate. She had only been here a week, but she was enjoying the hustle and bustle of the kitchen as well as her companions out on the floor.
She wandered back into the sitting room for the staff and put her feet up. Her torso was still bandaged but she was more mobile than she was before. She hadn’t spoken to Madison since their phone call a few days before, but she had heard from Scott that she managed to convince her dad to let her stick around for a little while. She had no news about their date though, and that was probably the thing that irked her the most.
“Aaron honey, I know you’re tired but you have ables to serve” Her manager said, wandering into the back room out of breath. Aaron’s manager was a heavy set woman, her hair was always nearly braided in a long tail down her back. She was an african american woman with a beautiful smile and Aaron loved her rambunctious personality. “I’ll be right out Rita” Aaron said, stretching her legs and tightening her apron around her waist.
Her shift ended in an hour and Aaron estimated she would weight six to eight tables. That would be enough to accumulate at least $20 in tips. This alone was motivation enough to continue the frenzy that was on the other side of the double doors. Aaron stood, determined to prove herself to a table of idiotic boys that she was a force to be reckoned with.