Status: In the works!

Close My Eyes,and Fly

Close My Eyes, and Fly - Day One

The general consensus for teenagers is that one of the most universally hated sounds is that of your alarm clock in the morning when you know it is school that awaits you.For Aaron, the blaring of her alarm clock from upstairs didn’t wake her, at least not at the hour it was intended.
Aaron awoke on her living room couch, which she had so carelessly fallen asleep on after a long night of HBO movies. She struggled to motivate herself to remove her person from the comfy leather cushions that her body had formed into, but she couldn’t bare the thought of enduring her alarm any longer. Conjuring enough strength to walk upstairs, Aaron slapped the snooze button on her alarm angrily and stretched. Yesterdays clothes were wrinkled and fitted to her body, and Aaron groaned as she searched for something to wear. She hadn’t woken up nearly early enough to shower that morning, a routine she looked forward to on a daily 2. Today she would have to go without, or at least until she got home from summer school. The thought made her cringe, and she rushed off to the bathroom to wash her face as best as she could.
The phone rang as Aaron patted her face dry with a clean towel, and she groaned as she fled from the bathroom to locate it. “Hello?” She said out of breath, she had run downstairs after failing to locate the upstairs line. “Hey sweetie, It’s mom” she said, in the background Aaron could hear her brother Carter screaming how he didn’t want to take a bath, and she smiled at the familiar voice. “Hey mom, I was just getting ready for class.” She said, twisting a strand of her hair impatiently. “Ooh okay, I just wanted to make sure you were up.” Her mother responded. “Is everything going okay at home? Mrs. Callage called and said you had a boy over, you know how your father and I feel about that” she continued, in the background Aaron heard her father coaxing Carter into the bathroom with candy. “Ooh its nothing, he was just stopping by to check on me.” Aaron lied, biting her lip nervously. There was yelling in the background and then a shuffling static noise errupted through the phone. Carters breathless voice tickled her ear. “Aro why aren’t you here?” he said, his tiny voice struggling on the simplest of words. “ I wish I could be there with you Car” she said, smiling to herself.
Aaron had always been protective of her little brother, she remembers when they brought him home from the hospital, wrapped in a tiny blue blanket with a blue cap. She remembers peaking over the blanket at the tiny pink face, and wanting to hug him and protect him forever. Thats the way it had always been. The two of them, although with a significant age difference, were always there for each other. Aaron could feel herself tearing up, she missed him the most, and his tiny voice made her lip tremble.
“I’ll see you soon okay Car? I have to get ready for school, but I love you” “love you too” he responded, uninterested, his voice muffled by a mouth full of candy. His father must have won him over. “We’ll call you again in a few days, stay safe sweetheart.” She heard her fathers voice take over the line. They said their goodbyes and Aaron hung up, hiding her face in her hands as she suppressed more tears.
The rest of her morning was filled with mindless preparations of appearance and her school bag.
Because the school bus didn’t run over the summer, Aaron was forced to make the mile long walk to her school every day, twice. Groaning she slid her bag over her shoulders and started the journey, observing the surroundings around her as she walked.
Aaron had lived in the same neighborhood her entire life, which in retrospect isn’t a long time since she was only 17 years old. She knew most of the families that lived on her street after years of trick or treating and holiday parties, and had babysat for most of the younger children in the neighboring streets as well. As she passed by each house the neighbors that were out either tending to their gardens, or ushering their children into the car, waved politely at her, and Aaron would shyly wave back. She had always hated these awkward interactions between neighbors, but at the same time felt safe in a neighbor hood in which she was familiar with the people.
As Aaron turned the corner to the street her highs school was located, she sighed. Her school from this angle looked like a prison, the high chain-linked fence was meant to keep trespassers out during school hours, but to Aaron it was a barrier to keep the students from escape.
Aaron attended John Adams High school and their mascot was, as predicted, a Pilgrim, not exactly the most intimidating rival for any high school. Their school colors were blue and white and it was tradition that the day before a big game the entire school would dress up in these colors. Some of the more dedicated fans would paint their faces or entire bodies blue, but the majority of the school population would just sport school pride in a blue or white t-shirt.
As she approached the entrance to the school, she could see the morning class exiting in a relieved crowd. Smiles on their faces that they were once again free to enjoy the sunshine. She frowned, and swung open the door, searching the roster at the front of her school for her room assignment. Room E13 how appropriate. This whole summer turned out to be bad luck, no doubt this class was going to suck. Aaron shrugged her backpack further up her shoulders and departed down the English hallway.
The hall smelled of fresh paint and floor wax, and Aaron couldn’t help but flinch at idea of Janitors preparing for the next school year already. Peering through each doorway she could see other classes that were still in session. Some creative writing classes, others English classes for those few rare exceptions of students who wanted to get a head start on the next school year. Outside the classroom E13 stood a short man in a plain brown suit. His head was bald except for a ring of grey hair that he managed to maintain around the back of his head. His square glasses sat comfortably on his nose, and beads of sweat rolled down the back of his neck to the collar of his button down shirt. “Welcome! You must be Aaron, we’ve been waiting for you.” the man said, signaling with an extended arm for her to enter the classroom. Aaron brushed her hair out of her face and gave a weak smile, entering the classroom, all eyes turned on her.
The room was brightly lit, the windows along the far wall were all open and a cool breeze greeted her as she passed the through the door frame. At the front of the classroom sat a desk, littered with papers, on the edge of the desk sat a class set of “The Scarlet Letter”. The classroom itself was small, and although she had never been in it before it mirrored the other classrooms she’d had the pleasure of enduring her past three years of high school. Behind the desk was a blackboard and scrawled across it in neat cursive was “Mr.Welch, English 11”.
The rest of the desks were displayed in four neat columns, and the students that had arrived first, occupied the two rows. Aaron politely smiled at the curious faces she passed, and plopped her stuff down in a seat towards the back of the room. She slid discreetly in her seat and placed her chin in her hands, gazing around the room at the other students.
There were two boys, sitting in the corner at the front of the room, both were hunched over a video game in one of their hands and they were yelling out obscenities over what Aaron could only guess was a shooting game. Another girl sat quietly in the front of the room completely absorbed in a book. Aaron recognized her as Lux Brown, a girl that was in her art class last year. She had short black hair that she pinned out of her face. She had green eyes, much like Aaron’s and her smile was accompanied with shiny silver braces she’d had as long as Aaron could remember. She found comfort in the one friendly , recognizable face in the class room. The rest of the students, she concluded, were from the neighboring high school that joined them in the summer sessions for make up classes.
Mr. Welch entered the classroom and stood in front of the class, clapping his hands together with a startling slap. The students in the classroom jumped in surprise. “Welcome to summer school! I’m Mr.Welch and I will be your teacher for the next five weeks!” he said enthusiastically. The students faces remained blank, and Mr.Welch shifted awkwardly on his feet. “I was thinking that just for today we could uuh.. Do a name game and then uuh tomorrow i’ll give you your assigned seats.“ All the students groaned.
Mr.Welch had the student arrange their desks in a circle in the center of the room. The students awkwardly stared at each other as they went around the room and exchanged names, their favorite color and their favorite subject. It was clear that no one in the class was interested in any of this information, but it was a first day ice breaker and Aaron could care less. After the student had shared their basic information, the floor was open to ask anything they were curious to know. The boy next to her took his turn. “Daniel, Yellow, Lunch” The room laughed, including Mr.Welch. “Thats not a class Daniel.” He said with a smile, before nodding in Aaron’s direction, it was her turn.
“Hi, I’m Aaron” She said awkwardly, her face turning red “um, my favorite color is purple and I guess my favorite subject is social studies.” She glanced around at the room and one of the girls called out of the silence “Is that your natural hair color?” Aaron blushed and nodded. Her hair had always been a white blonde, and she was frequently asked if it was natural, which it was. In fact, the only unnatural part of her appearance as the makeup she wore on a daily basis and the streaks of brown that lined her bangs. The girl who’s name Aaron had discovered was Megan smiled and the game went on.