Status: In the works!

Close My Eyes,and Fly

Close My Eyes, and Fly - Aftermath

Aaron had no idea that Scott had such a temper, but she soon discovered it as the two boys rushed outside and began viscously beating each other. Aaron stood in horror as the blood covered boys yelled and screamed at each other, throwing punches and kicks until finally the police showed up.
Aaron had only seen a fight once more in person, and she was 11 years old heading home on the bus with her Grandmother after a day at the zoo. There were two homeless men, standing outside of the bus as it stopped, and they tried to jump a man that was passing by. The two homeless men beat and wailed on this man, and Aaron at t he mere age of 11 sat horrified at the display out the window until finally her grandmother made her look away.
Aaron now sat on the pavement outside the coffee shop as the two boys were separated and being questioned by police. Her cheeks were tears stained and her eyes puffy, when she looked up at a cop that had approached her. “Can I have a word with you miss?” He said, standing over her authoritatively. Aaron nodded and stood up, walking behind the police man as he led her away from the crowd that had gathered.
The police officer handed her a tissue as he begin his questioning “First of all, are you okay” he started, looking up from his notepad with concern, Aaron nodded. “Did any of the boys hit you?” He asked, Aaron shook her head no. “Who started the fight?” Aaron paused. It had been Scott who started the punching, but Jack who had initiated the harassment. “I- I don’t know.” She lied, a sniffle escaping her. “You sure?” He insisted, looking up at her with a stern look.
Aaron glanced over at the boys, neither of them were in hand cuffs and she assumed they both had been left off with a warning. Scott was intensely talking to a police officer who was writing notes down vigorously. Aaron smiled, and then glanced over at Jack, he was smoking a cigarette, chatting casually with a cop. When he caught Aaron’s gaze, he turned his attention to her, a smirk spread across his face, and he winked, before turning back to the story the man was telling, laughing on queue without missing a beat.
She turned back to the officer, “Yes I’m sure.” She said, more confidently this time. The policeman nodded and shut his notepad, before walking off and joining the other officers. Aaron lingered just a little longer to watch the flashing lights fade and the crowd disappear, before giving an apologetic wave to Scott and starting the short journey home. She didn’t know why her mind was racing with such fearful thoughts, but all she wanted was to go home and talk to Madison and talk about Scotts brave fight for her at lunch that day.
“I’m not even kidding Maddie, it was some scary shit” Aaron said into the phone. She had called Madison as soon as she got home, and now she was pacing the length of her room eagerly relaying every detail from this afternoon. Her best friend stayed silent “Jack sounds hot” She said finally, giggling into the phone. Aaron rolled her eyes, typical Madison. “I guess he’s kind of cute, in an obnoxious macho man way” she said. “Can we stay on topic please?”, she heard the squeaking of springs in the background and assumed her companion must be shifting on her bed.
“So he did the hair tuck, big deal? Don’t let him in until you know he’s for real” she responded. Aaron sighed, she knew that would be the logical thing to do, but her heart skipped a beat at the thought of being folded into Scotts nice strong arms.
“I guess I should go to bed.” She said finally, bitterness ringing through her voice. “Yeah, get to bed kiddo, you got school tomorrow” Madison teased back. Aaron wasn’t in the mood, and with short goodbyes she hung up.
Her house sat empty and silent that night and as Aaron lay in bed tossing and turning, she felt lonely once more. Her mind wandered about the events of the day, replaying every aspect in her mind. She didn’t understand why she didn’t pin the blame on Jack, she hardly knew the guy. However, she managed to justified her actions. She hardly knew Scott either. But that, she decided, was something she was about to change.