Miserable at Best

I'd Put Myself First & Make the Rules As I Go.

The van ride was too long, it seemed like it would never end. Of course, I ended up sitting next to Alex the entire way there. Couldn't let our guard down, now could we? But that doesn't mean I still couldn't be upset with him. Couples fight, it was normal, so what we were doing was normal, right?

"So Brook, how's being married to Alex?" Jack asked turning in the passenger seat to look at you. He was trying, which was more than I could say for Alex.

I turned my gaze from the scenery outside the window to the lanky brown eyed boy watching me. I could tell him the honest to goodness truth, but I don't think that would go over very well. So I decided to keep my comments to myself, I shrugged my shoulders, and returned to watching the scenery change ever few seconds.

"That bad huh?"

"Hey that's not fair." Alex interjected, "I'm not that bad."

I snickered at his comment, if that wasn't bad, than I didn't want to know what bad was in his eyes. Alex turned in his seat next to me, and stared at me, "You know you're not the easiest person to live with either, miss-I-act-like-I'm-pmsing-everyday."

"Asshole." I said lower than a whisper and turned completely in my seat so that my whole body was facing the window. It was an umcomfortable silence in the van. No one talked, I could just hear the shifting of seats, Rian clearing his throat, and the humming coming from Zack in the back of the van. Who had completely missed out on the little argument as he was listening to his ipod.

Truthfully, I don't know why what Alex said got to me. But it did. I just couldn't believe this was going to be how I spend the rest of my life. Married to a jerk, traveling around the world with said jerk and his band mates. This wasn't how I pictured my happily ever after. I imagined myself marrying someone I actually loved, settling down around tweny-seven, having three kids, two boys, and the last a girl. Spending the rest of my life happy, not wishing that this was someone else's life I was currently living.

I could feel the bench shift, heat radiating from Alex's body made me uncomfortable. "I didn't mean that Brook," he whispered into my ear, "I just.."

"Save it for someone who cares Alex."

He sighed annoyed, "Brooklyyn, let me fix this." He set his rough calloused hand on my shoulder, in attempt to turn me around to face him.

I shrugged off his hand quickly, and spat out, "Don't touch me!"

He quickly retreated to his side of the bench, and stayed there quietly.

Somehow during the van ride, I fell asleep, and when I woke I was laying down on the van bench, pillow underneath my head, resting on Alex's lap. At that point I was too tired to move or be rude to Alex. I snuggled up closer towards him and went in and out of sleep for the remainder of the ride. Until Alex shook me gently, "Brook, wake up, we're here."

I didn't move, I didn't want to move, staying here to sleep sounded good to me