Miserable at Best

Everything Is Not For Certain.

The rest of the evening was full of laughter, happiness and love. Too bad I wasn't involved in the festivities. By the end of the evening my jaw was hurting. Smiling for six hours straight takes a lot out of you, I would be completely happy if I never smiled again in my life. Hell, I don't think I'll ever smile again.

I sat down at the head table and took a drink out of my water glass as my eyes dully scanned the entire ballroom. Nothing interesting really, people talking, people dancing, and people fighting. Wait, hold up. My eyes darted back to the couple fighting, when I realized I knew who one of them was. It was Alex, and a girl. From the distance I couldn't really get a good look at her, she looked fairly pretty though, I had to admit. She was shorter than Alex, light light brown hair, what's almost considered dirty blonde, greenish eyes, and a small frame. I was sure she was beautiful, but right at this moment she looked anything but beautiful as she yelled at Alex. I switched my gaze to Alex now, watching his reaction. He looked utterly shocked, but none the less, he yelled back with just as much malice. She turned to walk away, when he grabbed her wrist and spun her back around, whispering harshly to her. I was waiting for her to snap back at him, and when she didn't I was the one shocked. She tilted her head slightly, and I could have sworn I saw the tears fall from her face, as she backed away from Alex, and made her way for the door. My eyes followed her until they no longer could, finding their way back to Alex. He was looking at the spot where she just stood, and as if he knew I was watching him, he turned and looked at me. We made eye contact, and I knew at that moment, he had loved her. I adverted my eyes to the crowd dancing on the dance floor, but I could still feel his eyes burning holes into me.

We didn't talk the rest of the evening, not until it was time for us to say our goodbyes. Alex held my hand as we waved goodbye to our family and friends and headed out the door. Recieving a yell from what I'm thinking was Jack, "USE PROTECTION!..The last thing we need is little Gaskarth's running a muck."

It made me laugh, not at what he had said really, but more like how could he possibly think that Alex and I were sexually active. I mean sure no one the FULL story, but that was definitely NOT going to happen tonight, if ever.

The elevator ride up to our floor was excruciatingly long and quiet. We stood on opposite sides of the elevator. I stared at the glowing red lcd screen, illuminating the floor status..three..four..five..six..seven..eight..nine..ten...eleven. I stared looking at the screen, wondering why the increasing numbers had stopped, when I heard a light laugh from in front of me. Alex was standing outside of the elevator, "You coming? Or would you like another ride in the elevator?"

Truthfully, I'd choose the elevator. But my feet moved without my consent to join Alex in the hallway. And I would have successfully made it out if the damn train on my dress wouldn't have still been in the elevator when the doors closed. "oomph."

Alex who was about five paces ahead of me, turned and looked at me oddly. "Come on. We're down this way."

"Alex I can't.."

"Brooklyyn come on."

"Alex I really can't."

"I know this is hard for you, moving here and all. Marrying someone you don't want to marry but-"

"Alex this has nothing to do with any of that!" I shouted in frustration.

"Then.."

"I'm fucking stuck in the elevator."

He walked back over to me and looked behind me,laughing heartily, "You seem to be stuck my lady."

"No, really?" I asked sarcastically. "Hurry and help me before the elevator goes down or up!"
And just my luck, my dress started tugging, and I soon found myself up against the elevator door.

"Alex! Help me!" I screamed as I watched him doubled over in laughter. The fabric was getting tighter and tighter as the elevator seemed to be moving.

"Alex!"

"I'm coming I'm coming!" he said as he made his way over to the elevator, trying to pull the material out.

"Hurry I think my dress is going to te-"

But it was too late, my dress had teared, just below my bellybutton, revealing my red underwear, and my now bare legs. I squeaked as I tried to cover myself up, but then doors had opened all over the floor, with people standing out of their doorways, looking for the cause of the noise. Alex took one look at me, and then all the people, quickly he shed his coat and wrapped it around my lower body. And guided me down the hallway, headed toward our room.

"Hey little darling." a gruffy man said as we walked by.

I swear I heard Alex growl at the man, before spitting out, "Keep it in your pants old man."

We walked hurriedly down the hallway, as Alex struggled with the door key, finally opening it and shoving me inside quickly. Clumsy as I am, I had managed to drop the coat as I was shoved into the room, leaving me in the remainder of my dress when Alex had shut the door, and turned to look at me. His eyes wandered all over me, I was obviously something he wasn't expecting.

I don't know how Alex was anymore, he was probably used to getting girls. But I, was one girl who wasn't going to give it up to him like they did. And truthfully, his stare scared me, a lot, the way he looked at me as if I was a piece of meat, something to eat. I ran into the bathroom, locking the door behind me.

"Brooklyyn please open the door." he pleaded.