Miserable at Best

Forget the Lives We Used To Live.

Danielle and Jack took seats on the other side of the counter as they made small talk with Alex, including me as much as they could. But I still didn't feel quite that comfortable with anyone, not even Alex, so it would be awhile before I opened up to them.

Jack and Alex began talking about something to do with their next tour, as I scanned the kitchen looking for the box of pancake batter that I had just seen five seconds ago. I was beginning to stress myself out thinking that I had maybe finished using the batter, when I took a glance at Alex. He was biting his lip, trying to keep a smile from forming on his lips, twinkle in his eyes, and his hands resting behind his back.

"Alex have you seen the cake batter?" I asked as I pointed the spatula at him.

"What is this pancake batter you speak of?" he replied.

"You know..that white stuff that you like to eat-" that's all I managed to say before both Jack and Alex started laughing hysterically. It's then that I realized why they were laughing.

"You guys are sick."

"You're the one who said it!" Jack struggled to say through his laughter fit.

"Alex, pancake batter please." I said extending my hand out, wanting the box.

"You want it?" he asked still keeping his hands behind his back.

I nodded my head in the positive, as I walked a couple steps closer to him.

"It'll cost you one kiss."

I looked at him, as I thought as an alternative to getting the pancake batter without the kiss, "Well I guess no more pancakes for anyone." I walked back over to the stove, setting down the spatula and shutting off the stove.

"But but, I didn't even get any yet! Jack ate them all already!" Alex accused as he held the pancake batter box in hand.

"I don't think that's my problem." I stated as I shrugged my shoulders.

Alex looked from Brook to Jack, his eyes turning to slits as he did so, "You fatass, I hate you."

Danielle took a sip of her mug of coffee, set it down, and made an obvious point to Alex, "Hey fag, just give her the pancake box and she'll make you more pancakes."

I knew I liked Danielle.

Alex looked from the box in his hands, to you, walking towards you and then extending his hands out, handing you the box nicely, "Can you please make me some pancakes? Seeing as fatass over there can't share."

I took the box from his hands, and replied, "Sure." Mixing the powder and milk together I was equipped with enough batter to make Alex some pancakes. I poured batter into the pan, when I felt Alex's arms find their way around my waist, nuzzling his face into the crook of my neck, making me giggle, I was just slightly ticklish.

I heard someone snort, I looked to see Danielle with a gag me look on her face as she said, "Ew PDA."

Alex laughed, and replied, "Don't be jealous we're cute and you two aren't."

Jack threw his fork onto his plate, and threw up his hands, "We're so much cuter than you guys, it isn't even funny."

"Jack it's not good to lie," I replied before I even realized it had escaped from my mouth. Honestly I think I shocked everyone that I said that, or that I even said something, let alone that.

"I don't like your wife Alex, she's mean." Jack sulked as he furrowed his brows and crossed his arms over his chest.

"Jack she's not mean, she just..says the truth." Danielled added.

"WHAT THE HELL?!" Jack exclaimed, "Is it pick on Jack day or something?"

Everyone exchanged looks, even those just walking into the room catching the last bit, and replied, "Yes."

"Well.." he started, "I hate all of you guys. I quit this stupid band!"

"And what are you planning on doing now?" Rian asked as he took a seat next to Jack.

"I'm calling Derek! They're looking for a guitarist!" he explained as he walked out of the room putting his cellphone to his ear.

Coming back into the room, looking slightly defeated, I asked, "So how'd it go?"

"They aren't looking for a guitarist..so I'm stuck with you guys."

Everyone erupted into laughter, "It's okay babe, I still love you" Danielle said as she cuddled up to Jack.

"EW PDA!" Rian exclaimed as he gagged on his orange juice.

Jack groaned, "Not again!"