Can You Walk Through the Looking-Glass Now?

Alice In Wonderland, part 1 of 3

“Alice? Alice, where on earth are you, darling? You have to get ready for the party! You’re late!”

Alice sighed, holding her old stuffed bunny to her chest and wishing to be somewhere else. She was sixteen; and her mother still felt the need to treat her like she was five. The bunny, she supposed, didn’t help her situation; but she wasn’t about to discard her only comfort of the moment. She looked down at her rather revealing dress and sighed once more. Except for the dresses; Mum seems to find joy in this indignity.

Alice ran hear hand through her shoulder length, mouse brown hair, throwing the bunny to the ground and pulled up at the strapless, navy blue dress. Having to sit through another five hour party in which her mother looked for a ‘suitor’ for her was not her idea of fun. Still, in an attempt to avoid incessant nagging she agreed to sit, regardless of the fact that she had a loving girlfriend already. Mother was not at all pleased when she found Alice with Nancy in the rose garden, Nancy’s deep pink lip gloss smeared across Alice’s lips and on one cheek.

“Coming, Mother!”

Alice quickly looked into a mirror, making sure her nude lip-gloss was perfect and her eyes strangely mysterious from smoky makeup. “If only I could escape to Wonderland; like when I was young,” she muttered to herself as she walked in what she hoped to be a dignified manner towards the hall.

----♥----

Three hours into the party, Alice felt herself dozing off in a chair. Her mother had tired of introducing her to every guy there; mingling with her father in the background as Alice desperately ignored every attempt at conversation or a pass to get her to leave the room. The incessant chatter and soft lull of the classical music was too powerful for her struggling eyelids, and she closed them; almost relieved. I’ll only rest them for a few moments; Mother surely won’t notice.

Her eyes fluttered and she caught a glimpse of a white rabbit dashing between the feet of the suitors, the aforementioned men not seeming to notice or care. “Rabbit?”

The rabbit was mumbling a familiar mantra underneath his breath, his nose twitching as Alice got up to follow him. “Oh, I’m late. I’m late! For a very important date! I’m late, I’m late, I’m late!”

Alice laughed softly as she caught up to the rabbit. “Curious, Rabbit, that after all these years you still are running late.”

Rabbit barely glanced at her, still running with her close behind. “Alice, it is so very nice seeing you again but Wonderland has gone awry with the Queen finally taking over completely and I’m late! I shall surely lose my head, so if you’ll excuse me.”

During the Rabbit’s hurried speech, Alice was unaware how they had made it to the garden and almost screamed as the Rabbit jumped out of sight, straight down the rabbit hole. “Rabbit?”

Hardly without thinking, Alice slide into the rabbit hole and spread her arms out as she fell, landing with an ‘oomph’ at the bottom on her butt. “Rabbit, where are you?”

The Rabbit’s poor, terrified voice came down the corridor, repeating the mantra of “I’m late!” in a watery echo; no doubt, Alice thought, hopping towards his little bizarre house to get ready to be in the Queen’s presence. “Oh, poor Rabbit. I do hope the Queen isn’t as mean as last time I came here.”

Alice dusted her dress off, and began to prepare herself for the twisted land of Wonderland.

----♥----
♠ ♠ ♠
Not very long, but I wanted to cut it off so Wonderland had three parts. When she falls asleep; when she goes through Wonderland; and when she wakes up.

Comments appreciated.

xoxoxo,
Romance