‹ Prequel: Hope Came With Wings

In The Shadows Where We Lie

The Search Was On

It was the next night, around 6:00, about 20 minutes after sundown, and we were gathered outside of the vacant department building. Most of the crowd from the previous night had showed up and others who hadn’t made it before. This pleased me knowing we had such a large group. Still, I didn’t let my hopes get too high, since I still had no idea what to expect. There were a million things that could go wrong tonight, and I wasn’t about to celebrate something that wasn’t even close to happening yet. Right now I’m just staying calm and dealing with the present. I should have no reason to celebrate until Gracie is back in my arms, where she belongs.

I looked around me. Eryn was next to me, clearly concentrating on getting in tune with the group. She needed to be connected with them, so she would know immediately if there was any danger or if anyone found something useful.
Draco Falkon was close beside her. He had become quite attached to Eryn, and was fascinated by the strength of her power. His previous doubts seemed to have dissipated.

Aiden was now making his way through the crowd towards me, Emily on his arm. I smiled at them, glad that Emily was true to her word.
“Hello Seth.” She greeted me with a polite hug, as did Aiden.

“I’m very glad you could make it Emily. Thank you.”

“Of course. I told you I’d be here.” I nodded at her response.

“You know, I’m not sure I ever asked what your power is, Emily. I mean, obviously we don’t talk enough for me to know, and Aiden has never mentioned it.” I asked, getting to the point.

She smiled and turned to Aiden. “May I?” She asked him, raising her hand as if to touch him, but hesitated. He narrowed his eyes at her, sighed, but nodded. “Oh don’t worry, I won’t send you too far.” She grinned at him. “See you in a few!” She exclaimed, and gently put her hand on his shoulder. And then, right before my eyes, he was gone.

“Extraordinary!” I gasped. “But where…”
“He’s about a mile that way,” She pointed to the east. “at the old putt-putt golf course.” I raised my eyebrows at her.

“Wow. So, you sent him there with just a touch of your hand?”

“Exactly.”

“That’s very interesting. How far can you send someone?” She seemed to frown at this question.

“As of right now, only about 5 miles away from wherever we are. I have been training to make it stronger in order to send them farther, but it has been difficult. It seems to be easier the more familiar I am with an area, but not always.” She explained, somewhat frustrated. I nodded, now understanding better.

I opened my mouth to say more, but was interrupted by Aiden coming up behind Emily, surprising her by scooping her up into his arms. She squealed, laughing as he swung her around.
“That was a painful landing, you know. I just barely missed landing in the pond by the little bridge!” He exclaimed, setting her down.

“Sorry!” She giggled. “The putt-putt course was the first place that came to mind.”
He rolled his eyes but laughed with her. I sighed, and made up some excuse to go talk to Eryn. Really, I just wanted to get away from their “couple cuteness”. With Gracie gone, it’s hard for me to be around other couples and know that I can’t be like that with her.

“How is it looking?” I asked Eryn, hoping I wasn’t breaking any intense concentration.

“From what I can see, it’s all good. Kradence is nowhere to be seen, and no one here seems as a threat, so I think it’s safe to say the coast is clear! We can start whenever you are ready.” Usually, this would have come from her with enthusiasm, but her tone was one of forced happiness hiding annoyance. What’s eating her?
“It’s Falkon.” She whispered harshly, answering my unspoken question. “Someone better get him away from me soon, or I just may rip his throat out! Really, I have had many people interested in my power, but never someone so curious in such an annoying way!”

“Hey Eryn!” Draco called to her. She rolled her eyes and groaned under her breath.

“Shoot me.” She whispered to me, making me laugh. “Yes, Draco, what is it now?” She turned to him. I just shook my head as she walked away.

I finally made my way over to the rock near the edge of the building. Standing on it, all eyes turned to me.
“Okay everyone. Eryn says the coast is clear. Now remember everything she told you. Stay with your group so that Eryn can stay better tuned with you; if you find anything, just stay where you are at and we will come find you; and most of all be careful. I couldn’t bear for any of you, my fellow friends and vampires, to be hurt while trying to help Gracie. We will meet back here in this exact spot in 11 hours, approximately 5:00 am. Good luck.” I bowed my head to them politely. It was amazing to have an entire crowd of vampires return the same gesture to me all at the same time.

And then the crowd dispersed, and finally the search was on.
♠ ♠ ♠
ugh.
short filler.
not much, sorry.
Hopefully more soon. I'm working on it...

Thanks for putting up with me readers :)
Glad you like it.

-Jay