Can't Get Over You, Can't Get Through to You

Rocket ship

Brian's POV

"Daddy," Mariemaia asked as we drove back home..........in the Corvette!

"Yeah?"

"Why do you wear a ring around as a necklace?"

I bit my lip as I knew which one she was talking about. I didn't know how to explain to her that it was a promise ring that I was originally going to give her mother but Nikki disappeared to Colorado because she was pregnant and I never got the chance to give it to her. I didn't know how to say that without it being confusing or making Nikki sound like the bad person.

There was only one way I could think of to make it sound good.

"Do you think mama would like it," I asked, trying to distract her from her own question.

"Yeah, why?

Yes. Success!

"Because I think I'll give it to her," I answered.

"Will we be a family," Mari asked.

"I don't know, Mari," I said, ruffling her hair, "But not matter what, daddy will always love you."

She was a bit upset. Nikki had called yesterday, telling us that she wouldn't be able to make it for her birthday party. Apparently there was a land slide and the road out of Woody Creek was blocked and they couldn't get out. So this morning, to make Mariemaia feel a bit better, I decided to make her a special birthday breakfast.

Yes, my daughter is now four years old.

My cell phone rang and I pulled over to answer it. Mariemaia hated it whenever I answered the phone while driving; she got so mad that she would start yelling at me. She's just like Nikki, I swear.

"Hello?"

"Brian, its Tash. Where are you?"

"I'm by the Palms. Why?"

"Get to the house now."

"Why," I asked, getting concerned.

"Just do it. Its important," Tash said before she hung up.

Two minutes later, I pulled into Nikki's house and saw that the whole backyard and front lawn was decorated. It was like a mini carnival. There was a merry-go-round, a mini petting zoo, the whole nine yards. Leane came over and handed Mariemaia some cotton candy. "I have an order to bring to the somewhere," Leane say.

"What's going on, Daddy," Mariemaia asked, holding my hand as we followed Leane.

"No clue."

We were by merry-go-round when Leane left us. It started up and both of us where extremely confused.

"Mama?"

"What?"

"Daddy, there's Mama," Mariemaia said, pointing.

Sure enough, riding a black horse was Nikki. She waved at us and then pointed behind here. There was Hunter, waving from the control booth. Mariemaia ran towards her mom when it stopped. A smile was on Nikki's face as she picked her up, spinning her around. "And you thought I'd miss your birthday," Nikki said, kissing Mari's forehead.

Nikki's POV

"And you thought I'd miss your birthday," I said, hugging Mariemaia close to me.

Yes, I told them a lie. Hunter and I got in two days ago and have been hiding out. Hunter's been at the Luxor while I spent my time hiding in my office. The only people that knew that we were back was Criss, Tash, Leane, and Liz. Everyone else thought we were still in Colorado. We got back early and that's when I went planning. I had Tash get Brian and Mariemaia out of the house so that I could have everything set up for when they arrived.

I'm such a brilliant person.

Mariemaia just hugged me as we walked towards Brian. "Hi," I said, smiling.

"Hi. I thought you got caught in a rock slide."

"I should be a good liar by now, Brian."

He just shook his head, giving me a kiss on the lips. "That you are, Nikki. That you are."

The party was a blast. Brian got Mariemaia a kitten and I got her a little charm bracelet. She got stuffed animals and various other toys from everyone else. I groaned when I saw the sight of the pile of stuffed animals she now owned.

"Just great. Even more," I muttered.

"Well, at least she's happy," Brian said, wrapping his arm around my waist.

"That's true."

"I'm going to get a beer," Brian said, standing up, "You want one?"

"No, but can you get me a bottle of water?"

He nodded as he walked off. I sat and watched as Mariemaia played with the kitten Brian had gotten her. It was a pure white one and she had decided to name her Snowflake. I thought it was funny because we lived in Las Vegas and snow is very scarce here.

"So, how you doing," a guy said as he sat in Brian's seat.

I narrowed my eyes, annoyed. "Fine."

"I'm Darren," he said, holding out his hand.

"Nikki." I refused to shake his hand.

"So how about you and me-"

"I have a boyfriend," I said, interrupting him.

"Aw, don't be like that. I-"

That's when Brian came back. He pulled the guy away from me and yelled, "Stop fucking hitting on my girlfriend!"

Darren freaked as he ran off, returning to help out with whatever he was here for. I held Brian's arm as he started mumbling something. "Brian, relax," I said, trying to calm him down.

"Stupid asshole was hitting on you," he muttered.

I placed a hand on his cheek and said, "I love you and only you, Brian Elwin Haner Jr."

He relaxed and said, "Stay here, I want to do something first."

I nodded and he walked off, leaving me confused. Val walked up to me and said, "You really know how to throw a party for your daughter."

"She deserves it. What's with Brian? He's all protective," I asked.

"He really loves you and is scared that you'll leave again," Val answered.

I bit my lip. This relationship would be hard. I live here in Las Vegas and run a business and he's a rock star, living in Huntington. And poor Mariemaia. I don't want to ship her ever other week just so that she could be with her dad. And when he goes on tour! What are we going to do about that?

"Nikki?"

Brian was standing there, holding his guitar. "Mari told me this was your favorite song," he said as he sat down and started playing.

Fly to the moon
We'll take my rocket ship
It's outta sight
Oh so outta sight
Leave your head
Check into this time
Check your mind
Let your sparkle shine

Pass the sun
Say goodbye to everyone
We'll fall in love
As we pass the sun
Hang from a star
Forget just who we are
It's outta sight
Oh so outta sight
From the moon
To the stars
To the sun
Baby I'm in love


I bit my lower lip as I tried to fight back the tears. He played me Rocket ship by Motley Crue and it was one of my absolute favorite songs ever.

"Why'd you play that," I asked.

"Because, I want to ask you something," he responded.

Brian got down on one knee and took something off his neck. "I was originally going to give you this as a promise ring but I realized that I can't live my life without you so Nicole Storm McCade, will you marry me?"

Everyone was watching, waiting to hear my answer but I couldn't answer; I lost the ability to talk so instead I just nodded.
♠ ♠ ♠
Eh, I like it more than I usually like my stuff.