Can't Get Over You, Can't Get Through to You

Checkmate

Brian's POV

"I just remembered that I need to buy food," I said as I looked into the empty fridge.

I totally forgot that I didn't go grocery shopping before I left for Jimmy and Tash's wedding. I didn't see the point because I would be in Vegas for a couple of weeks. What's the logic of buying food and then leaving and having it expire? None. See, I can have my smart moments.

"Then let's go grocery shopping," Nikki replied as she carried Mariemaia down stairs, "And we can also get Mari whatever she wants for her room."

I smiled as Mari wanted me to carry her, which I did. I think she really likes having me around now because whenever she gets the chance, Mari always wants me to hold her instead of Nikki. Its really great having the three of us all together. Nikki and I are getting married soon and now Mari will have both parents in her life. That was something I was just looking forward to: finally having a family with Nikki. There was just one little thing I wanted to add to this dream.

"I want more kids," I said as Nikki grabbed her keys.

"What," she asked, looking at me funny.

"When we get married, I want more kids," I answered, "I don't want Mariemaia to be an only child."

"I was an only child," Nikki muttered, "I didn't like it so yes, we are going to have more kids just not this moment."

"What does that mean," Mari asked as I helped Mari put my fedora on.

"It means that someday, you're going to have brothers and/or sisters," I replied, kissing her forehead.

"Yay!"

Since we were going grocery shopping, we all decided that the hummer would be easier to drive just because there was room in the back. That and the fact that my BMW was messy at the moment and choppers would be hard to go grocery shopping with.

I was going to be driving this time because Nikki drove the whole way to Huntington so I felt like that I should be the one driving now. Mari was in the back, staring out the window. I think she liked being in Huntington Beach already.

"Daddy, Mama, can we go to the beach," she asked as we passed it.

"Yeah but not right now," I said, turning to Wal-Mart, "How about tomorrow?"

"Yeah!"

Nikki just smiled as she said, "I haven't been to the beach in five years."

"You're going to the beach," I said, firmly, "You, me, and Mariemaia. Its going to be one big family thing."

Nikki's POV

"Oh, I want Tonka Trucks," Mari said as she ran towards me with a box of the gummy Tonka Trucks.

"Where's your father," I asked, remembered that Brian went with her, "I thought he went with you."

"We so have to get these damn Tonka Trucks," Brian said as he walked towards us, also carrying a box.

I laughed when I saw the two of them, standing in front of me, holding a box of these gummy treats. "Alright, get your Tonka Trucks," I said, shaking my head.

"See, I told you Mama would let us," Mari said.

"Well, I wanted to make sure, Mari," Brian replied as he helped her put the box in the cart.

I just shook my head as I looked at the bakery. There were donuts and cupcakes and things to that caliber. I was tempted to buy some just because it would make breakfast easier but I don't know yet. I was worried about giving Mariemaia sugar because if she has sugar, she goes on this little hyper tangent and it is horrible. Its like having to deal with me during a temper moment but for Mari, she's in a good mood.

"You're Nikki," I heard someone say.

I turned around to see a girl around sixteen or seventeen standing there. She wore an Avenged Sevenfold shirt and had a glare on her face. It was as if she hated me for my very existence. I don't even know who this is but I guess I'll find out why she has a problem with me.

"That I am," I replied, calmly, "Why you asking?"

"You don't deserve to be with Synyster Gates."

"Really, now," I said, raising an eyebrow, "What makes you say that."

"That' you're probably some dumb skank stripper from Las Vegas," she replied, still glaring at me, "Yeah, I know you're from Las Vegas."

"Nikki, there you are," Brian called, carrying Mariemaia, "I have found fruit! Oh, who is this?"

"Some chick who thinks that I'm a dumb stripper that you just picked up from Las Vegas," I replied with a smile on my face, "How smart are you?"

"I'm one of the top in my class," she smirked.

She really thinks she has me beat, doesn't she? I still smiled as I knew that she had made the stupid mistake of underestimating me. Silly girl.

"Get me a chess board and a clock."

Brian just looked at me and asked, "What?"

"Trust me. I think its time that I show someone her place," I replied, cracking my knuckles.

"There's a chess match going on."

"Someone insults someone else and now she challenged her into a chess match."

"Who?"

"Rachel Ward insults some person."

Word spread of this little match spread like wildfire. I sat in the chair, setting up my section, as the girl, who I learned her name as Rachel, set her side. Brian sat with me as did Mariemaia. I told them what happened and Brian was all for standing up for me but I told him that maybe she really doesn't know who I am and what she's really going up against.

No one insults Nicole Storm McCade and gets away with it.

"You first," she spat, glaring at me.

I said nothing as I moved my pawn and pressed the clock. She moved her knight. This went on for a couple of minutes. Spectators watched interested as pieces were moved. Brian just sat there, relaxed because he's seen me play with Hunter. He knows that I can play. Mari was just amused with the queen I had taken earlier from her. She moved her rook and I smiled. Then I moved my bishop and finally said, "Checkmate."

"What," she screamed, looking at the board.

Her king was cornered by my rook, queen, and bishop. I had done this in a matter of minutes. Not only is chess one of my strong suits, I spent much of my time when I was in Woody Creek playing against Hunter. I definitely should know how to play.

I sat there calmly as I said, "I'm not some dumb skank stripper, as you called me. I'm not anything you say I am. I graduated when I was fourteen, I went to the Colorado School of Mines and I have a master's in Mechanical Engineering and I have a degree in Civil Engineering, I own the Atruskia Hotel in Las Vegas, and I am Nicole Storm McCade and I am much more than you give me credit for. Oh, and I actually was born in Van Nuys not Las Vegas. I just happen to live there."

People just stared at me as Brian smiled. I guess they never really saw what I looked like before now. Mariemaia just hugged my leg as she said, "Mama's smart."

"That's why I'm marrying her," Brian replied, "That and she's the love of my life."

She just stared me as I stood up. I just grabbed my stuff and headed to the checkout, smiling. "Checkmate, Rachel. Checkmate in everything."
♠ ♠ ♠
Never insult Nikki McCade.

I don't know what to think of this. Parts I like, parts I don't. What do others think of?