Can't Get Over You, Can't Get Through to You

Beach Day

Brian's POV

"Daddy?"

I slowly opened my eyes to see Mari, right in front of my face, staring at me. It took everything for me not to yell in surprise. There was my daughter, right there, looking at me and that was the first thing I saw as I woke up. Her brown eyes that she inherited from me were staring back at me, filled with joy and mischief. Mari is too damn adorable for her own good but then again, her mother was just as beautiful. I smiled as I hugged her and pulled her into the bed, laughing.

"You woke me up, Mariemaia," I laughed, tickling her, "You're not supposed to wake Daddy up."

"But- But- But Mama told me to," she said, trying to talk as I tickled her, "Stop it Daddy!"

"Oh fine," I said, still hugging her.

I kissed her forehead as she tried to squirm away, "Daddy's breath is stinky!"

I pretended to pout and be upset as I said, "Fine, I'll go brush my teeth."

She laughed as she skipped, literally, out of the room. That's when I saw the little white fluff known as her cat, Snowball, was with her. I smiled when I saw that Snowball had a little paper hat on his head. I taught Mari how to make a paper hat yesterday and she's been making them for everything, including my fedoras and my guitars. So now my fedora has a hat of its own and my guitars now wore hats. I don't understand it but whatever makes her happy is good.

"I see one of my two favorite girls," I announced as I walked into the kitchen, "But where's the other?"

Mari was sitting at the table, watching cartoons. I couldn't find Nikki but she soon appeared as she came in, carrying the newspaper. She was wearing a pair of my boxers and a shirt that was way too big for her but it looked good on her anyway. Now this was a sight I would wake up for.

"Morning Brian," she said, kissing my cheek, "I'm making bacon and eggs."

"You want me to make some coffee," I asked, as she grabbed a couple of plates from one of the cabinets.

"If you want to. Could you get Mari some milk though?"

"Alright," I said, walking towards the fridge and opening it, "Do you want chocolate milk, regular milk, or the strawberry milk?"

"Chocolate!"

"Alrighty."

Nikki just laughed as I poured some chocolate milk into two glasses. "Are you doing anything today," she asked, placing some egg onto the plates.

"Yes, I'm going to spend the day with my girls," I answered, feeling smart.

"How about we go to the beach," she suggested.

"Beach," Mari chanted as she clung onto my leg, giving me her puppy dog face, "Please, Daddy?"

"Of course we can go to the beach."

Nikki's POV

"Help me make a sandcastle, Daddy," Mari called as she pulled Brian to the sand.

Brian just laughed as he sat down, helping our daughter make her desired item. I just watched, sitting on the towel, amused. There was my future husband making sand castles with our four-year-old daughter. It brought a smile to my face because this is what I always wanted: a family.

We had brought my dogs with me as well just because I didn't like the idea of cooping them up in the house. Both Dartanian and Velken were lying next to me, asleep as the sun shown on them. They tend to do a lot of sleeping now that we were in Huntington Beach.

"Why don't you find some seashells so you can decorate your castle," I suggested as Mari and Brian declared their masterpiece done.

"Ooh, can I," Mari asked, looking at both me and Brian.

"Yeah, go for it but don't go to far," Brian warned, "Don't go into the water and don't talk to people you don't know."

Mari nodded, grabbed her pail, and skipped to find some seashells. Brian sat next to me, wrapping his tattooed arm around my bare waist and holding me close. "I like you in a bikini," he smirked, kissing my cheek.

"Well, I like you in those trunks," I replied, signalling to one of my dogs to go follow Mariemaia.

"And I like the fact that Mari's swimsuit is my all time favorite color," he replied, watching as Dartanian got up and went to follow our daughter.

"You picked it," I retorted, "So you better like it."

I laid my head on his shoulder as we just relaxed. Occasionally, he'd give me a kiss or something but either way, I was content with everything right now. I absolutely love just being with Brian. He made me feel special and feel like that there were people that do give a rat's ass about me. I never felt that way when I was growing up with my father. Nope, not at all.

I'm in love and happy with my life.

"Mama, why did Daddy draw on his arms," Mari asked as she came back with her pail filled with seashells and pointing to Brian's arms.

I looked at her and smiled, "Those are tattoos, sweetie."

She looked confused as Brian pulled her onto his lap. "I like being colorful," Brian said, ruffling her hair.

Her big brown eyes, wide with amazement, looked at Brian in amazement as she said, "Daddy is a coloring book?"

That's when I started laughing. Man, as much as I love Mari, she says the most amusing things ever. Last night, she asked us the sky was blue and Brian tried to answer it. He finally just said that it was magic.

"No, I'm not a coloring book," Brian said, trying to fix his earlier statement.

I just stayed out of it, amused to no end, as Brian tried to explain why his arms are covered in tattoos, what tattoos were, and why he was not a coloring book.

"So Daddy is not a coloring book," Mari yawned as we tucked her into bed.

Brian nodded as he kissed her forehead, "That's correct. I am not a coloring book."

"Alright. Night night, Mama. Night night, Daddy."

I smiled as she fell asleep and walked out, Brian closing her door behind him. We walked to the master bedroom and I sat on the bed, smiling at him. He looked at me and asked, "What?"

"Today was Mari's first day at the beach," I replied.

"Really," he asked, walking towards me, "Then its a good day."

"Sure thing, Mr. Coloring Book."

"I am not a coloring book," Brian muttered as he kissed me.

"Nope. You're the guy I fell for."

"Good."
♠ ♠ ♠
Since I got a couple of comments of people suggesting that I put up pics of how I envision my characters, here you go

Mariemaia, portrayed by Hailey Deegan
Nikki, soon to be Haner, portrayed by Olivia Wilde

Others will be up when I feel like it