Can't Get Over You, Can't Get Through to You

Alone and Drunk

Nikki’s POV

I woke up, alone, as my alarm started blaring. Lazily, my hand reached out from under the covers to turn it off only to have my other alarm start ringing. Yes, I had multiple alarms set up in different areas in the room so that I had to get out of bed to turn them off. It was an absolutely brilliant way to insure that I wouldn’t fall back asleep after I turned one off. I’m so smart!

My dogs were already in the kitchen when I came in after my shower. They sat right behind their bowls and I knew that they were hungry. “Fine,” I sighed as I opened the cabinet where the dog food was, “I’ll feed you.”

Dartanian looked around as I scooped some food into the bowls, as if he was looking for something. Velkan laid down, not really paying attention to anything. They were used to having Mariemaia around and they were now used to having Brian around but now, they both were gone. The dogs were confused as to why Brian and Mari were gone. Hell, Dartanian even started whining.

“I miss them too but Brian has to go to the studio,” I said, rubbing both their ears, “We’ll see them soon.”

The phone started ringing so I grabbed it, not even bothering to look at the caller ID.

“Hello?”

“Morning, Nikki,” answered Brian’s voice.

A smile crept onto my lips as I balanced the phone between my shoulder and head as I grabbed a bagel and some cream cheese from the fridge. It was nice hearing from Brian. Sure, it’s only been a day but I still miss them.

“Morning, Brian. How’s Huntington,” I asked.

“Lonely. I miss you,” Brian whined.

“Aw, I miss you too.”

In the background, I could hear Mari tugging on Brian’s pants, telling him that she wanted to talk to me. The mental image was absolutely adorable in my head and it just made my smile bigger.

“Mari wants to talk to you,” Brian said, handing the phone to our daughter.

“Mama,” Mari asked as she got it.

“Hi, sweet pea,” I answered, happy to hear from our daughter.

She squealed as she told me all the things that they did as soon as they got into Huntington. Apparently, they had dinner at Brian’s parent’s house and she got to meet her Uncle Brent and Aunt McKenna. They also went to the park for a bit and then went to Jimmy’s house.

It seemed like they did a lot of things since they got back.

“Really,” I asked when Mari told me that Brian let her go on the pony ride that was going on at the park, “Did you have fun?”

“Yeah! I got to ride this pretty white pony named Frost,” she told me.

I took a bite of my bagel as I heard Brian in the background talking to Mari. It sounded like he wanted the phone back. A few shuffling noises were heard and soon it was Brian on the phone.

“Sounds like you two had a fun evening,” I joked as I went upstairs to brush my teeth.

“Yeah, we did but we miss you a Hell of a lot. Mari slept in my bed because she was crying last night,” Brian said.

“Aw, poor thing. Well, I might a have a free weekend this weekend so I might be able to drive to Huntington,” I said.

“Seriously?”

“Seriously.”

I think Brian started doing a little happy dance because I heard some random noises in the background, including one little yelp.

“What the Hell was that,” I asked.

Brian laughed for a bit before he said, “I got a dog. She’s a little white fluff ball that I named Pinkly.”

I raised an eyebrow after I spat out the tooth paste from brushing my teeth. “Alright then.”

“Are you going to work soon?”

“Yeah,” I muttered as I grabbed my jacket that was on the couch, “Got some meeting because someone wants to have a wedding at the hotel.”

“Ew,” Brian joked, “Well, I’ll let you go and Mari and I will talk to you later. Love you!”

“Love you too, Brian,” I said before we both hung up.

I grabbed my keys as I let the dogs out into the garage. Today, I felt like taking my Hummer so that my dogs to come along as well. Normally, I’d drive my Mercedes or something but today was a Hummer day. Maybe tomorrow, I’ll drive the Lamborghini. I don’t know, I’ll figure it out later.

“Get in you two,” I said, opening the trunk.

They barked at me as they jumped in, taking their places in their usual spots. Yes, my dogs are strange like that.

After I closed the trunk, I walked over to the driver’s side and pressed the garage door button so that it would open. I turned the ignition and headed out to Las Vegas boulevard and to being alone in the hotel.

Rapturous. I’m so looking forward to this. I’m so looking forward to being lonely.

Brian’s POV

“Mari, are you going to eat your vegetables,” my dad asked as we sat down for dinner.

After being in the studio all day, I decided to have dinner at my parent’s house. Partially because I really can only make breakfast and partially because my parents wanted to see my daughter.

Currently, we were just finishing up dinner and Mari was poking the salad that Suzy made. Like Nikki, Mari had no patience for salad and wasn’t fond of it so of course, she didn’t like it. She just sat there, poking it with her fork. I had my hand strategically placed over my mouth so that I could hide my smirk.

“No,” Mari said, still poking the salad, “Salad is icky.”

“But it’s good for you,” dad said.

“It icky.”

“Dad, Suzy, Mari is also Nikki’s daughter and Nikki hates salad,” I finally said.

That’s when they started laughing. There was a time when Nikki and I were both teenagers and she was over for dinner. There was salad and of course, Nikki didn’t even touch it. She does not like salad and just doesn’t understand its point. Hell, that’s what she says whenever she sees it. “What’s the point of salad?”

And to think that someday, I’ll be able to call her my wife.

“Guys,” Fred said as I sat on the office chair with Mari on my lap, spinning around like the strange people we were, “We should work.”

I laughed as Mari just sat down on the floor, completely dizzy from spinning around on the chair. She whined as Liz went over to pick her up as Leane went to go get a cup of water for her. Tash and Val shook their heads, knowing that Nikki probably wouldn’t like the fact that I made our daughter dizzy. Oh well, I thought it was all amusing.

The guys were amused as I tugged on one of her pig tails. God, I have a cute kid.

“Yeah,” Zacky said as Liz handed Mari the cup of water, “We should work.”

“That probably would be productive,” I said, putting Mari on the couch, “Stay here and don’t do anything stupid. Alright, Mari?”

“Okay, Daddy,” Mari replied, smiling.

I ruffled her hair as I got my guitar. A little thought formed in my head and it absolutely made me smile. Sitting down one day, with Mari on my lap, as I taught her how to play the guitar. Of course, Nikki would be there and she’d be painting one of her kick ass paintings. And possibly, there would be other little kids running around and laughing as we enjoyed each other’s company.

Now, that’s ideal.

“Be good for Grandpa and Grandma,” I told Mari as I dropped her off at my parents’ house.

I was going to a bar with Jimmy tonight and Nikki had forbidden me of letting our daughter see me drunk. Sure, Nikki has drunk scotch or vodka in front of Mari but only one glass. She absolutely refused to let herself be drunk in front of our daughter. Hell, when she was back in her heroin addiction, Nikki went to another state to get high. So after all that, there was no way that I would refuse to do the same.

“Okay, Daddy,” Mari said as she hugged my leg.

“I’ll pick you up tomorrow afternoon,” I said, hugging her, “And then we can see Mommy soon.”

“Okay, I loves you, Daddy.”

I kissed her forehead as my dad picked her up. Suzy smiled at me as I waved good-bye and got into the driver’s side of my car. Jimmy was going to meet me at the bar so I figured I better be heading off now. I waved as I turned the ignition. Mari, my dad, and Suzy waved at me as I pulled out of the driveway and headed off to my destination of tonight.

While driving, I was pretty excited to go to a bar with one of my best friends in the world, Jimmy. He’s been my best friend since eighth grade and he never fails to amuse me. Besides, he’s the only one who knows Nikki better than me but that’s because they are family.

After about twenty minutes of driving, I finally got to the bar and there, already parked, was Jimmy’s McLaren. I guess Tash let him drive that awesome car his cousin had given them as a wedding gift. It was pretty funny seeing some guys drooling as they stared at the Mercedes McLaren with lust in their eyes. I’ll admit, it’s a nice car but then again, I have a fiancée that has a strange habit of buying really nice cars whenever she feels depressed or something.

“Brian, about time,” Jimmy yelled as he walked towards me, carrying two mugs of beer.

“Unlike you,” I said as I grabbed one mug from him, “I have daughter.”

“Hey! Tash and I are expecting!”

I smirked as I rolled my eyes, shaking my head as I followed Jimmy to the nearest empty pool table.

An hour and about five bottles of beer, eight shots of vodka, and a glass of scotch later, I was full blown drunk. Jimmy was leaning against the wall, singing some random song to his pool stick. I was sitting in a chair when I think I saw a familiar flash of mischief in green eyes.

“Nikki,” I questioned as I stumbled over.

“Hi, Brian,” said the person that looked like my fiancée.

“Your voice sounds different,” I said as soon as I figured out what I was thinking.

Maybe I shouldn’t have drunk all that alcohol. I can barely think straight whenever I’m like this.

“I was sick and the altitude is making my voice sound different,” Nikki said quickly.

“What are you doing here? I thought you still had worked,” I said as I grabbed my bottle of Jack Daniels and drank it.

“Got off early and I thought I’d come see you,” she replied in a quick pace again.

“Aw, my girl’s always amazing,” I said, hugging her.

She hugged me back and whispered in my ear, “Let’s go home and spend some time together.”

I nodded, sloppily, as I took another swing of my bottle. I waved at Jimmy and said, “Nikki’s here to take me home. La-la-later man.”

Jimmy waved as he fell to the ground, now sobbing. The barkeeper was calling Tash to pick him up. Nikki clung to my arm as I stumbled out of the bar and tried to get my keys out of my pocket.

“Home, yeah, home we go,” I mumbled as Nikki took my keys from me, insisting that she drove, “You take such good care of me. I love you so much, Nikki.”

Nikki didn’t say anything so I assumed that she didn’t hear me. “Come on Brian, let’s spend some quality time together.”

“Alrighty…..”
♠ ♠ ♠
Update, can I get a yay?