Can't Get Over You, Can't Get Through to You

Discussion Time

Still Nikki's POV

I stood in my kitchen, chopping carrots. Tash and everyone else were coming over to my house soon. Seeing as I said it was okay to have the reception at my place, she wanted to make sure it was perfect and visualize what she'd put where. Either way, I was fine with it. I killed two birds with one stone. Tash got to finally see the new place and she got to go around it and plan.

Actually, this place wasn't new. It belonged to my grandfather but he never actually lived in it. Cody McCade bought it and passed away shortly afterwords. It was one of the many properties that I had inherited. I had it remodeled to fit my liking and bought the surrounding land. Ten minutes away from Vegas seemed like hours away when I'm home.

Mariemaia was off in her playing room, playing with her millions of stuffed animals. She spent hours there, just having the time of her life. It made me happy seeing my daughter happy. I could buy her whatever her little heart desires. Mariemaia was my little world.

Velken and Dartanian were laying around on the kitchen, being lazy bums as usual. It was a typical sunny day and that made those two just plain lazy. I laughed as Dartanian's leg twitched, signaling to me that he was asleep. "C'mon you two spazzies," I said, grabbing their dog food and pouring it into their bowls, "Lunch time."

That got them to get up to immediately shoot up and run to their food. I shook my head as I washed my hands and resumed making lunch.

I grabbed the remote and pressed one of the buttons, music started playing in the background. Beethoven's Ode to Joy started playing. "I guess Mariemaia was experimenting with the stereo," I muttered, remembering that I had a HIM CD in the stereo.

The doorbell rang and I was holding a piece of raw steak. "Mari, can you answer the door," I yelled, asking her because I needed to marinate the steak.

"Okay, mommy," she called, running down the stairs and to the door.

Brian's POV

We looked at mansion that had become home to Nikki and Mariemaia. Large with wide open spaces..............something ideal for someone like Nicole Storm McCade. It was obvious that she preferred to be alone and her home was proof of that.

Besides me was a little bag from yesterday's trip. I wandered around Vegas yesterday and found myself going to Cesar's Palace. Originally, I was going to gamble but I ended up going into FAO Schwarz, aka one of the coolest toy stores ever. Seeing that I now had a daughter, I wanted to get Mariemaia a little something, just so she knows that no matter what, I love her.

"Auntie Tash," Mariemaia squealed as she opened the door.

"Hey, sweetie," Tash said, giving the small girl a hug.

Mariemaia looked at all of us but hugged my legs, simply repeating, "Daddy."

"Hey, Mari," I said, picking her up, "I bought you a little present."

"Really?"

"Yup."

"Mariemaia, don't leave them outside," we all heard Nikki yell from within, "Let them in!

"Yes, mama."

We all laughed as Mariemaia led us into the house. Jaws dropped as we looked around. High ceilings, marble flooring, expensive looking art and furniture, and it all matched Nikki. The couches were all dark leather with huge dark purple pillows. Detailed paintings adorned the walls and some looked to be done by Mariemaia's mother. One of the two rottweilers we saw yesterday walked by and we instantly recognized him.

"Velken," Matt asked as that we saw that familiar collar.

He stopped and looked at Matt, sitting down. Velken started barking while Mariemaia laughed, "Silly puppy."

Nikki walked in and rolled her eyes when she looked at Velken. The other rottweiler following her. "Shut it, Spazzy," she simply said.

Velken stopped barking and laid down. "Hey everyone and welcome to my house."

We sat in her kitchen, eating a lunch of steak and salad. I looked at Nikki who was talking with Tash about something. She obviously had gotten older but it looked like she was only eighteen. Those green eyes were still mischievous. Her black hair had gotten longer, now reaching to the middle of her back with bangs falling over her eyes. Her skin was still tanned but then again, she lived in the desert known as Las Vegas.

Mariemaia was sitting next to Zacky and Jimmy, talking with them and everyone else. It seems like every one's developed a little fondness towards my daughter. She's adorable in every way possible.....and she's beautifuljust like her mother.

"You do realize that I need to go with one of my friends to pick up your wedding present," Nikki said as she poured herself another glass of red wine.

Jimmy dropped his fork and his jaw. "You got us a wedding present? What is it?"

"Tch, like I'm telling. I need to pick it up and hide it at Criss' place. That way I know its safe."

"Who's Criss," I asked, scared that it was her boyfriend or something.

"Uncle Criss," Mariemaia asked.

"Yes, Uncle Criss," Nikki replied to Mariemaia but answered to us, "Criss Angel.......... Mindfreak.............. Dude that lives at the Luxor. I'll him watch it. Who better to make sure that your present doesn't disappear than an illusionist."

Everyone else decided to wander around Nikki's place, leaving me, Nikki, and Mariemaia in the kitchen. Mariemaia was opening the present I had gotten her while I sat on the floor with her and Nikki sat on a chair. She instantly hugged me when she saw the stuffed tiger I had gotten her. "Kitty! Thank you, daddy," she said, hugging my neck.

I smiled, knowing that I made her happy, "No problem, sweetie."

Nikki said nothing. In fact, she was biting her lower lip and I knew that she was annoyed with something. "What," I asked, "I'm not allowed to get my daughter presents?"

"Its not she doesn't have a room filled stuff animals already, Brian," Nikki snarled, "I totally enjoy having to clean up her millions of stuffed toys everyday."

She sighed and calmed herself, "But I guess its the thought that counts. You got her a cat stuffed animal and Mariemaia tends to love those."

I got up as Mariemaia went off to go play in her play room and sat down at the table, across from Nikki. "At least tell me the basic facts about her, please," I begged.

"What do you want to know about Mariemaia?"

"When is her birthday?"

"July 11th."

"She was born on 7/11," I asked, "She's a lucky kid then."

"She was supposed to be born on your birthday but she was late," Nikki replied.

"Alright, what's her favorite color?"

"What's your favorite color?"

"Purple."

"Then there's your answer."

"What's her favorite food?"

"Pasta."

"Mine too," I said, not thinking about it.

"She is your daughter," Nikki said, as if was nothing, "She's more like you than you would believe."

"Does she call all your friends 'aunt' or 'uncle' or in Hunter's case, 'grandpa'," I asked, remembering Mariemaia referring to her mother's friends with those names.

"Yes."

I looked at Nikki as she just sat there. That girl I knew had grown up but she grew up into the most beautiful woman in the world. Just looking at Nikki made me feel the same way when I first had met her......all those years ago.

"I've missed you," I finally say.

She just looks to her side, trying to avoid all eye contact with me. "Brian, don't start this. You don't want me. How many times do I have to tell you that? I was perfectly content with living a loner's life with only my daughter."

"Mariemaia is my daughter as well," I said quietly.

Nikki glanced me and sighed again, "She is your daughter as well, you are correct. And I suppose you want custody of her or at least joint custody."

"No, Nikki. What I want is for us to be a family. You and me back together, raising Mariemaia together."

"Brian, I don't want to be that one."
♠ ♠ ♠
Getting better but whatever....

I really should update the others but this story happens to be one of my favorites