Can't Get Over You, Can't Get Through to You

Colorado

Still Nikki's POV

Three weeks had passed and I found myself hiding out in my office, at my house, or with Criss. I tried to avoid everyone, especially Brian. The only people I'd speak to was Mariemaia, Hunter, Criss, Tash, and Jimmy. Everyone else, I just ignored. But I knew I had to talk with Brian eventually; I was heading to Woody Creek, Colorado to talk with one of my friends, Liz Parker, about moving to Las Vegas and managing the Pirate Bar at the Atruskia. He wanted to be the one to watch Mariemaia so I guess this was the perfect time but I was too busy hiding.

"Dartanian, you are staying here," I said as I packed my final bag.

My rotweiller whined as he watched me pack for my trip. Velken was used to the fact that he was could not go with me on the majority of my trips, Dartanian still had to learn that. Whenever I left, I had Tash watch my dogs but I guess Brian could do that considering she'd also be in charge of Mariemaia.

"Leaving," Val asked as she watched me.

I sighed as I turned to look at her. "I need to convince one of my friends to work for me."

"Really, is that why you're leaving now," she asked, walking towards me.

"That and I can use the time to think about things in my life," I replied as I grabbed my bags and went to put them in the Hummer.

Tash was going to drive me to the airport; I was paranoid about leaving my cars at the airport so I had Tash drive me and drive the car back to my place. With all the cars I had, of course I had a reason to be paranoid.....especially now that I had a new Lamborghini.

"How long are you going to be gone?"

"A week or so. Depends on how I feel," I replied.

"When are you leaving?"

"Tomorrow so I need to see if Brian wants to take of Mariemaia while I'm gone."

And I wasn't looking forward to that.

I walked into the Atruskia to see Mariemaia laughing as Brian tickled her. It made me smile to see how well she was adjusting to her father; she absolutely loved being with him. It was amusing to watch the two of them. Whenever I was hiding in my office, I'd often would use one of the security cameras to keep an eye on the two. Brian, of course, spoiled Mariemaia, buying her more toys and stuffed animals. He did it so much that it didn't bother me anymore. I just was happy to seemy our daughter happy.

"Hi mommy!"

"Hi, sweet pea," I replied, hugging her.

"Hi, Nikki," Brian said, walking towards us.

I bit my lower lip when I glanced at him. Messy hair, as usual, but I wanted so much to touch it. Then again, I wanted so much to be with him but I was too damn proud.

"Hello Brian. I need a favor."

"What?"

"I'm leaving tomorrow to head to Colorado to offer a friend a job and I was wondering if you'd like to take care of Mariemaia while I'm gone."

Brian just looked at me, as if was obvious. Well, then again it was but I rather ask to be on the safe side. "Yeah, I'd love to that. Can I just have a list of things that she can and cannot have?"

"Yeah, I'll write that up now," I said but out of the blue I added, "Want to do that over lunch? Just the three of us?"

"Hello Nikki, Mariemaia, and guest," Leane, my entertainment manager and manager of food and beverage, said as we headed towards one of the restaurants.

She was another one of my friends from Colorado. Like Liz, the person I'm looking to manage the Pirate Bar, she lived in Woody Creek but went to college in Denver. I met her went I wandered around the Denver metro area. We hung out and became friends. She knew Morgan as well but never was an addict, just a depressive person wanting to escape. Funny, misfits attract misfits.

But hey, we're all better now.

"Hi Auntie Leane," Mariemaia said, giving Leane a hug.

"Leane, this is Brian, Mariemaia's father. Brian, this is Leane, my manager of entertainment and food and beverage," I said, doing the introductions.

They shook hands and we went to sit down. Mariemaia was coloring on the table. We had tables with paper on them so that little kids wouldn't get bored.....just like Macaroni Grill. Leane had stuff to work on so she left to do that and I was left facing something I was dreading: being alone with Brian. He just watched Mariemaia as she drew a picture, smiling. "She really is something, Nikki," he said, amused when he realized that she only used the purple crayon.

"I know she is."

"So," Brian started as he glanced at me, "What is she allowed to have."

"Pretty much anything. Don't let her have too much sugar. She's not allowed to a lot of soda 'cause it gives her a stomach ache, she's allergic to bee stings but there's a Epipen in the cabinet above the kitchen phone," I listed.

"Alright. Um, is it okay that my parents meet Mariemaia," he asked.

"That's fine."

"I'll see you sometime in the near future," I said to Tash as I got out of the Corvette.

She wanted to drive the Lambo but there was one problem: Tash didn't know how to drive stick. So of course I refused to let her drive it. I wanted to live and I wanted that car in mint condition for as long as I can have it.

"Alright, just give a call and say hi to Liz for me," she said, giving me a hug.

"Roger that. Tell Mariemaia that I said hi," I said getting out.

"Will do. Later, Nikki."

"Laters Tash."

I headed to the terminal and waited around thirty minutes until I could board the plane. As the plane took off and headed straight for Colorado, I sighed and thought about things. I hated myself for leaving Brian. I was miserable and he was not. I hated myself so much for that.

"Ma'am," I heard a voice mutter and my shoulder was being shaken, "We're about ready to land."

I groaned as I blinked a couple of times, looking at the stewardess. "Alright, thanks."

She nodded and walked off, waking the next sleeping one. I looked out the window and saw the familier Denver nighttime skyline.

Waiting for me at the Denver International Airport was a familier person. Short, straight, black hair that went to the shoulders, hazel eyes, a little taller than me, and a pale person due to the Colorado winter. There was my good friend, Liz McCourt.

"Hey, Nikki," she greeted, giving me a hug.

"Hey, Liz."

"Why so serious?"

"Nothing, I just have a lot on my mind."

She raised an eyebrow and I knew this subject was not going to be dropped for long. I got in her car and we drove an extra two hours to Woody Creek.

"You want to head to the cabin first or tavern," she asked as we reached the city limits.

"Cabin," I replied, wanting to rest for a while.

I had a cabin out here that I stayed at whenever I was in Colorado. Its my paranoia acting again.

"I'll see at the tavern later," Liz called as she drove off, leaving me to kick the door open and toss my bags onto the table.

I had a key but I liked kicking the door open. Besides, this was mine and mine alone.

"Back home again," I sighed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I might do another update because I'm strange that way