Melt Your Headaches, Call It Home

For Diamonds Do Appear to Be

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

"Spencer!"

"Sorry."

Silence.

Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Ta -

"Spence! They're asleep."

"I'm nervous."

"So am I but..."

"Mmmmmmphff," I said, peeking out into the drab waiting room with one eye, I could see Jon and Spencer (Alice had to go to work.)

I was lying on my back and Jon was looking down at me. I had my head on a pillow which was in his lap. On my right was Jon's torso, so on my left was Brendon's head, which was also in Jon's lap and had just connected with my face rather forcefully.

I groaned and reached for my nose with my un-encased hand while Brendon clutched the back of his head, moaning. At least I hit him with the least bruised part of my body, my face...

"Hey guys! The doctor is coming over," said Spencer excitedly from the plastic folding chair that he was sitting in.

We were all immediately awake. I sat up, (with a little help,) and slowly swung my legs over the couch, I was careful not to hit my right foot, which was currently in a cast up to my knee. I was off the intense drugs and the other pain killers weren't as strong.

"So?" Brendon asked apprehensively, "How is he?"

The doctor smiled reassuringly, "Don't worry, everything went as planned. He will recover fully and won't have any except for a scar to ever show that it happened."

We grinned at each other.

"We just finished the procedure but he'll have to stay one more night. Ryan will then be able to go home at any time." And after nodding to us all, she left.

So I forgot to mention that Ryan was in surgery.

-------------------------------------------------------------
5 hours ago

I looked at the clock.

10:59 ............. 11:00.

Exactly one hour until Ryan and I are released from this hospital hell.

I was getting antsy, I needed to get up and go somewhere, (going to the bathroom or to visit Ryan didn't count.) The truth is even though it's only been three days; it feels like Alice and I have gotten close with the boys. I guess someone saving your life can do that.

That first day I was awake, Alice and the rest of the band were late from getting sandwiches because they were mobbed by three or four fan girls and had to go hide in a bathroom at a nearby McDonalds to escape. They wanted to know why they were cancelling the tour. Really badly, apparently.

Since that was kind of a give-away that they were famous, we had a fan girl chat about how amazing they were and blah blah. She is absolutely infatuated with Brendon, and when it's just us two all I ever hear is Brendon this and Brendon that...

As I was reminiscing about the past couple days, Spencer burst in on my thoughts.

"Hey, Charlotte?" he called from the doorway.

"What’s up?”

He walked over and sat on the edge of the bed, as he fiddled with my sheets he said, "So I have some bad news. Ryan has to get surgery on his arm."

“But I thought it wasn't that bad?" I asked, my heart sinking.

"It wasn't. The setting that they did on the bone wasn't healing right so they have to go in and fix it."

He replied, "So he's having surgery in about 2 hours."

"I officially suck big time, well, even more than I already do," I said, brought down from my prison release high. "So that mean's another day here, for everyone."

"You should go home; you've already been through enough," he contradicted me.

"I did this and that means I'm staying!" I said firmly.

He sighed, "Fine. Anyway so the doctors will come to release you in like 45 minutes. I gotta go take a shower, I'm starting to smell."

I laughed (which hurt), "Too much information Spencer."

He smiled and gave a little wave as he headed out the door.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Present

"Hello?” Jon waved his hand in front of my face.

"What" I exclaimed.

"You were off in LaLaLand."

"Oh," I stuttered sheepishly, "What were we talking about?"

"Well" Brendon put in, "One of us is going to drive you home, but we'll need you to give us directions."

"I'm not going home! Everyone else is staying,” I argued stubbornly, “You can't make me!"

Jon said, "The rest of us aren't heavily medicated like you are."

Spencer argued, like I wasn’t even there, "I mean if she wants to stay its only one more night."

"Thanks, but I’m right here and you guys don't get to decide. This isn't a democracy."

"You're right," said Jon, quite agreeably. "This isn't a democracy. It's a dictatorship, and I say that you are going home."

"What?" I sputtered, "You can't -"

"Yes. I can. And you will," he said smugly, and with some help from Brendon, scooped me up and sat me down in the stupid wheelchair that I was confined to for at least a week.

I sat there fuming for a minute before deciding that is was pointless to argue with them and that going to sleep in my own bed sounded like a fantastic idea. I couldn’t help Ryan at all by being here.

"Let's go," I said perkily, and they all look surprised, I gave them an evil smile, "Hey, my revenge will come when you least expect it, but for now, I want to go home."

They all looked at each other. "Before I die of old age please," I said with some sass.

"Alright, alright, your highness," said Jon, wheeling me off towards the elevator, "Let's roll."