Status: Slight hiatus. Sorry guys, lots of homework.

Distractions.

0005.

I burst into the classroom for Advanced Math causing everyone to look at me. Blushing, I apologized to the teacher for being late and quickly took my seat next to Ray.

“What’d I miss?” I asked under my breath, quickly getting out my book.

“Not much,” Ray whispered, “Just some of the normal equations. You’ll fly through them.”

I nodded, glancing at Ray’s book so I could copy out the things I’d missed. Even leaving Frank as fast as I did didn’t stop me from being late. But Mr. Jones didn’t seem to mind.

After completing the problems with ease; like Ray said I would. I ripped a page from one of my notebooks and scribbled the words, “Was Jess with you at lunch?” on it and passed it to Ray. He read the note inconspicuously and scrawled something back in his big, loopy hand writing.

No. Why?

I frowned, looking over at Ray out of the corner of my eye; he couldn’t lie to save himself so if he knew anything I knew I’d get it out of him.

I was just wondering. Where was she?

I passed it back to Ray, ducking my head and pretending to write when Mr. Jones looked my way suspiciously. Looking up towards the front of the classroom, passing the glance off as if I needed to read the board, I could see that he’d gone back to writing on it. Ray passed me the note under the table, not once taking his eyes off his book.

She ate out with the new guy, Sam; he took her to McDonalds.

Oh, okay. Did she tell everyone?”

I passed the note back with trembling hands; I was a little worried that she hadn’t told me. She must’ve told the group if Ray knew. No one in their right mind would tell him something and ask him to keep it a secret, he also requested us not to anyway.

Yeah. She told us that Sam asked her out to lunch and then she left. What’s with all these questions?

She just didn’t tell me.

Well, you weren’t exactly there when she told us. And we had no idea where you were. Where were you?

I didn’t mind telling Ray where I was, it’s just who I was with that bothered me; I didn’t want to tell him. I still can’t believe I went with him.

I was at McDonalds too. That’s how I know, I didn’t speak to her though; she didn’t see me.

I knew writing that would be a mistake because Ray would most likely ask who with because he knew Icouldn’t refused to drive because I’m horrible at it.

Who with? You don’t drive.

See? There it was.

A friend, was my reply, hoping that Ray would leave it at that. He wasn’t the type to press any issues, so I was surprised that he wrote something back.

Jess is mad at you, you know? She wants to know why you stopped hanging out with us. You really should talk to her.

Reading the note, I felt bad. It wasn’t her fault; it was mine. I was too scared with Ray, Bob, Worm, Pete and Patrick there. None of them knew anything about my personal life and I wanted it to stay that way. If I got any closer to any of the guys, I was screwed. I would have to invite them to my house and they’d find out my big secret.

It wouldn’t matter so much to anyone else but to me it did; I just didn’t want to take the crap I’d get for it. They’d treat me differently just because I had money. That’s my big secret; my Mum’s loaded. I don’t know about my Dad though; I don’t live with him. But Mum has a lot of money and I live in a big, fancy mansion type house on the edge of town.

I have enough in my bank account to buy my own house in cash if I wanted too. Hopefully that gives an idea as to howrich much money my family’s got. My little brother, Mikey, goes to a different school, one that takes gifted students. I would be there too right now if I hadn’t chosen to have a shot at a normal life. No one knows, not even Jess. If anyone finds out I’ll be treated differently and I really don’t want that.

I quickly scrawled a small note back to Ray promising I would talk to her, before continuing with the Math Mr. Jones had written up on the board. The lesson seemed to go past faster than usual, the bell coming a lot quicker than I expected. Gathering my stuff, I said goodbye to Ray and hurried from the classroom; I now had a bus to catch.

I walked out of the school grounds and down the street filled with two-story houses, with picket fences. You know? The homey types, the ones that actually feel like home? Whenever I walked down this street I always felt jealous of the people who lived in those houses. Always.

The bus pulled up just as I arrived at the bus stop, I got on giving my fare to the driver before taking a seat at the back. There were two seats behind me and they were both taken, one by a boy with a dark black hoodie on that covered his face so I couldn’t see him at all, although he looked quite familiar, and the other by an old man who was staring out the window intently.

I got out my Ipod and put the ear buds into my ears, intending to listen to The Misfits all the way home. It wasn’t long before the guy behind me tapped me on the shoulder though. I turned around to look at him – his hoodie had been removed to reveal his face – and as soon as I realised who it was I felt a wave of anger engulf me.

“What the fuck are you doing on this bus, Frank?” I hissed, glaring daggers at him. He just grinned back at me.

“You tell me,” he replied, leaning on the back of my seat.

“Being an annoying little fuckhead?”

His grin widened and he shook his head. “No. I needed to talk to you about a certain ski trip that’s coming up in two weeks.”

My expression was blank. I either had no idea or just couldn’t remember any ski trip.

“To Thredbo,” he explained. It took a moment, but it clicked and I wasn’t quick enough to hide that I finally understood what he was on about.

“Well, I was wondering if you were going.”

“What would it matter to you?” I asked, gripping the seat at the sudden lurch of the bus, trying to keep my grace.

“Are you?” he pressed, a coy smile playing on his lips.

“Okay, that’s it. Why and how the fuck are you on this bus and asking me about my ski trip?”

“So, you are going?”

I face-palmed. “If I answer will you answer my questions?”

He nodded, smiling at me.

“Yes. I am going. Now why and how are you on this bus?!” I asked, completely exasperated and a little anxious because we were nearing my stop.

“I already told you; I wanted to talk to you about the ski trip. Because I’m going too,” he answered cheerily. I stared at him, dumbfounded. How the hell did he manage to go? It was only for my year and he was a year older than me!

“This is where I get off, so see ya later Gerard,” Frank said softly, smiling at me as he passed. I watched him walk off the bus, awestruck. I can’t believe he got on my bus just to ask me that, I really can’t.

I put my ear phones back in and waited for my stop to come, frowning. It didn’t take long until I was tripping down the aisle as the bus lurched to a stop. Getting off, I walked the five blocks to my ‘house’ distractedly. I was thinking about Frank for the umpteenth time since I had met him.

It took me a moment to realise that I was walking up my driveway because I was so deep in thought, but when I did I noticed that there was someone else here. My Mum owned three cars, each one of them painted silver and the car I could see was red.

Once I reached the house, Mikey came bursting through the front door and jumped on me causing both of us to nearly fall.

“Mikey!” I cried, trying to push him off of me, “What is it?”

Mikey grinned up at me. “Mum’s going out with her friends!”

I stared at Mikey for a long moment now calm, “You’re kidding right?”

He shook his head, “Nup! For real. And she said I could cook too!”

“Now, I know it’s a joke,” I replied, laughing outright, “She would never let you cook.”

Mikey pouted before running back inside dragging me after him.

“Mum,” he called, frowning when she didn’t answer. “Mum!”

“What?!” Mum replied in the same tone as Mikey, walking down the stairs with her ‘friend’ in tow. I gave her friend a quick once over. Female, around the same age as Mum, tall, blonde and snobby looking.

“You said I could cook didn’t you?” Mikey whined. Mom laughed at him.

“Honey, I said that you could help the Morris if he lets you. Not that you could cook on your own,” she replied, smiling at Mikey as if he were God’s gift to the world. It’ll probably be my turn next. Morris is our chef, he just meant to cook and serve our food but he’s really cool and fun to be around.

“Gerard, sweetie? Mummy’s going out tonight, will you be alright here?” she asked, turning to me with that “God’s gift’ smile. I let my mouth drop and heard Mikey give out a small snort.

“Mum!” I gasped, “I’m nearly an adult! I’m a sophomore now! Of course I’ll be fine. Besides, Morris is here. So are our maids and butler.”

“Yes, I know. But I worry about you.”

I blushed a little, “You can go now Mum. You’ve officially embarrassed me enough to last a week.”

“Okay, okay,” she sighed, “I’ll see you later, okay? Mia and I won’t be out too late.”

Mikey and I nodded, watching her walk out the front door with ‘Mia’ trailing behind her. I don’t think I like Mia too much; she didn’t even acknowledge me. Stuck-up snob.

“So, what are we going to have for dinner?” Mikey asked as soon as the front door was closed.

“I don’t know, you can choose; I’m not eating. I’ve got homework,” I answered, already walking up the stairs, my bag dragging along behind me.

“I’ll get Morris to send you something up,” he called after me.

“Yeah, whatever,” I grumbled in reply although he couldn’t possibly have heard me. I walked along the long hall down towards my room, avoiding looking at the creepy paintings adorning the walls either side of me. Once in my room, I flung my bag into the corner and flopped down on the bed with my books.

I opened the first; Advanced Math stuff. Just some algebra.

I continued doing all my set homework, extension work and extra credit stuff all night with only one interruption; Morris. He gave me a small plate of nachos and left quickly, as he knew what I was like when I was concentrating. I wasn’t really concentrating but I wanted to be alone.

I don’t know what time Mum ended up getting home though as I was already sleeping heavily by the time it rolled around to nine ‘o’ clock.
♠ ♠ ♠
Slight filler.