Tell Me Angel, Where Are You

Gurney Wreckage

"Oh God." I whispered with a shaking hand covering my gaping mouth as we slowly walked into the death-scented room.

A swollen crimson-stained head was wrapped with white bandages. The short black hair was plastered to available skin. The once beautiful face was enveloped in various shades of blue, purple, and black. Stiches claimed the whole siding down the face. A thin neck was decorated with a pale brace and propped up against a limp pillow. Both an arm and a leg were molded into pure white casts. One ghostly pale arm had an IV attached into it and a scarlett bag was held around the bed. There was a clear mask covering the face, allowing the lungs to pump oxygen in and out. The bulky machines next to the bed hummed an clicked. The heart monitor bleeped and echoed like some vivid tune on a broken record.

She looked so lifeless, so already gone, so already dead.

"Oh God." I repeated groggily as moist tears claimed hold over my onlooking eyes. I turned to Frank and whispered, "This can't be her, Frank. This can't be her. Are you sure this is the right room?"
"'Fraid so, baby.I'm so...sorry..." He trailed off, completely at a loss for words of comfort.
I slowly released my hand frim his and walked over to her bed. I pulled a chair closer. I lightly touched her hand but it was so cold, so limp, so silent.
She was somewhere in there, in that human wreckage laying on that hospital bed. She had to be.

"God, you can't do this to me, not like this."
I deeply buried my face into my shaking hands.
"Not like this, not like this."

I let a few tears glide gently out out of my burning eyes and I sniffed once or twice before letting out a sigh and sitting back. I couldn't allow myself to believe it. I haven't seen this woman in nearly nine years and I...I couldn't reach her. She was right there and I couldn't reach her, no matter how hard I tried. I just found out my mother, my mom, is still alive but I felt that I was letting her slip right through my fingers. I felt so terribly helpless. Never in all my life had I felt so desperately alone. I couldn't do anything but watch and wait and hope. This was all in God's hands now, he held the cards in this fatal game, I just hoped Death wouldn't cheat.

That's my mommy. I broke down completely. I slowly lifted my knees up to my chest and held onto myself tightly. I felt a hand tenderly rub my back as I continued to sob. My flimsy arms burned and ached but I didn't care. I heard a sniffle and a cough trying to cover it up.
"This can't be real, it can't be."
Then I heard silent crying as whoever was rubbing my back, sat down beside me. I turned to see Frankie's puffy eyes looking into mine. He sniffed as he slid pieces of hair that dangled in front of face, behind my ears.

"Frankie, tell me I'm dreaming. Lie to me. I don't care. Please, just lie to me. Please, just lie. Tell me...tell me it's okay. Tell me it's be alright." I shakily whispered, barely able to get the words out, every other word cracked as it left my lips.

He took my head and buried it into his heaving shoulder.