Tell Me Angel, Where Are You

Bring A Smile To Survive

Frankie gently squeezed my hand as I turned the cold metal knob in my other. The stench of beer and an assortment of drugs entangled my senses as the door creaked open.

Men I already knew were lurking around each corner, with a beer gripped in their greedy fists and a burning drug attached to the other. Ah, yes, another employees party. Some men with their shirts carelessly tossed over their shoulders, others making themselves quite at home. Very professional, if you ask me. I felt myself being stared at like some sort of zoo animal. It was such dirty feeling that felt like it was burning from the inside out through my skin. I felt like a prisoner in my own home. He had these parties quite often; typical for a man that lacked a brainstem.

“Adele!”

I groaned and Frank held my hand tightly and started to lead me to my room down the hall.

“Adele. Get over here! Someone you should meet.”
I rolled my eyes and strolled into the living room, dragging Frank along with me, towards my father, who was already half drunk, no surprise there.

“Adele, this is Al, my co-worker, Al, this is her,” he slurred.

The way this “Al” guy was gawking at me, following his eyes as he looked down and up and slowly back down again was like eye rape or something. It was like if he stared at me long enough, my clothes would fly out the window. He had a devious glint in his eye that wasn’t right.

“So, you’re the bitchy daughter, eh?” Al questioned, with a sick smirk glued to his face, still checking me out.

Disgusted, I looked over at Frank. If you didn’t know him, you couldn’t tell that he was completely pissed off. He kept his cool and just nodded his head, as if he read my mind.

“Dad, Al, my boyfriend Frankie,” I bitterly introduced them, quickly wanting to leave the presence of the two disgraceful men. Frankie wrapped his arm around me very protectively.

“Your what?”
“My boyfriend,” I repeated slower.

My father knew Frank, however, like he considered all my friends, he was a social stage lower then scum, yet higher then me.

“Why her?”
That was a real confidence booster, thanks Dad.

“What’s that?” Frankie questioned quite calmly.
“You’re a halfway descent one, why her?” he replied, looking at me in clear disgust.

“Because she’s the closest thing to perfection and it feels like she’s my other half. Do you even look at her? Do you know who the hell she is?” anger started bubbling in and around his tone, “Apparently you don’t, cause if you did, you’d see a gorgeous sixteen year old daughter that is so goddamn full of talent and potential that it’s scary. Anyone would be so fucking proud; you don’t even deserve a daughter like her. She’s a better person then you and if you don’t see it, then start eating your fucking carrots, pal. Come on Aid,” with that he tightly gripped my hand, gritted his teeth, and led me away from the two men with theirs mouths gaping and looking completely flabbergasted.

“Bandit,” I whistled, calling my Pomeranian puppy along.
Frankie yanked the door open, allowed me in and as soon as me and my puppy were in, he angrily shoved it closed. He threw his balled fists behind his head, exhaled through full cheeks, and looked down at his feet.

I was still half in shock at how Frankie stood up for me like that, without any hesitance at all. He stood in front of two fully-grown men, drunken men, at that, and told them off. He could have gotten pummeled, yet he stood there quite defiant and without any hesitance in his voice at all.

“Frankie, than…”
“Don’t you dare thank me, Adele Marie Armstrong,” he stated in a warning tone. He looked up wide-eyed, shaking his head. He quickly walked over to where I sat on my bed. He slowly hunched over and held my hands tightly to my sides.

“Don’t you dare think about it, either. Why do you let him talk to you like that? How do you take that?” He asked in a softer tone, almost hurt.

I looked everywhere but his desperate eyes.

“I dunno, just, bad habits, I guess. I…I can’t Frankie, when I do he hurts me and just…”
“Hey, hey, Adele, please look at me, babe. Don’t ever say you can’t because you can. You have all the guys backing you up. You deserve more then this and you should never be spoken to like that, ever, by anybody,” he tilted my chin and made me sink into his powerful gaze.
“You are so beautiful and so talented. Don’t doubt it. I meant every last word. Aid, you’re hilarious and you always cheer me up with your lame jokes. Your grin lights up an entire city let alone my day. You’re so smart and you put your soul into everything you do, I admire that. You are one of the most determined people that I have ever met. I am so fucking proud to be able to say that you’re my girlfriend. When I said that it felt like you were my other half, I meant that you’re so much of me, it’s not just on the outside, but it runs through my core. It’s like you’re a piece of me. I feel it everywhere and I always have, Adele. It’s like you’re my drug, whenever I’m around you or thinking of you, I feel better. I don’t care how cheesy this sounds. I know we just started a relationship, but I’ve always felt it.”

My eye started swelling up. Nobody ever spoke to me like that. A lump was lodged in my throat, preventing me to make any noise at all. All I could do was open my mouth, but my vocal box had shut off entirely.

“Aw, Munchkin, don’t cry,” he cooed as he swiped away the warm wetness from my cheeks. He grinned as he lay on my bed, pulling me into a firm hug that I never wanted to be released from. He knew what he did to me and I knew that because he smirked which turned into a huge grin.

I grinned and apparently he noticed.
“Ah, there’s my grin, you know what we say, “bring a smile to survive”,” he replied smiling.

“Frankie?”
“Mhm?”
“You’re my half that I’ve been missing,” I croaked through the lump.

He lifted my chin up and placed me on the bed. He cautiously hovered over me and slowly lowered himself onto me. His lips instantly connected with mine. It was the most passionate kiss that we had ever shared.

I fell so hard for him and I think it was obvious.