‹ Prequel: I Treated You So Wrong

Lets Make It Last Forever

Eleven

The sky above was dark, leaving the stars plenty of room to twinkle above the Earth’s company.

Rae ran her brush through her hair and set it on the vanity’s counter and pulled half of it back into a small clip, leaving her bangs down. Zacky pulled a black Vengeance University t-shirt over his head and walked over, stealing Rae’s brush and brushing the strands down from the odd angles.

It wasn’t too late, perhaps six in the evening. Rae and Zacky had talked while cuddling, deciding that Zacky wanted to go and apologize to Emily and bring her home so the three of them could have a sleep-over in the living room.

“I’ll make sure that Matt doesn’t try and rip your head off.” Rae said quietly, turning on the chair to face Zacky as he placed the brush back on the vanity.

He shrugged and slipped his wallet, keys, and phone into his pockets. “If anything, I deserve it.”

“Stop it, Zack. We went over this.”

Sighing, Zacky walked over and pulled the bedroom door open. “I know, I’m sorry.”

Rae got up and followed him out of the bedroom and down the stairs. They walked hand in hand to the car, only parting so that they could each get in and Zacky could start the car. Right when he pulled out of the driveway, their hands were back to holding the other.

The drive was silent, other then the sound of quietly smacked lips at a red light. It was always like that. Whenever Rae and Zacky would fight and make up, everything would be sickeningly lovey-dovey for a while, then they would fight again.

A few minutes whirled by and Zacky pulled up along the curb in front of Matt and Val’s house. The lights were on, even the one in Ella’s room.

Zacky let out a long breath and took his hand from Rae’s. He wasn’t worried about Emily being upset, it was more along the lines of Mr. Sanders, the protective uncle and big brother. Both Rae and Zacky got out of the car and headed towards the front door. Having been staying in their home for the past few days, Rae knocked three times and opened the door to find Matt and Val on the couch, Matt’s arm on the back of the couch above Val’s shoulders.

“I’m back,” Rae bit onto her lip.

Matt knew there was more to why Rae was seeming nervous. All he’d known was that she had gone out for a while for some air; alone time.

“I talked to Zack,” Matt removed his arm from the couch and made the motion to stand, “…he’s apologized more then he needed to, and now he wants to talk to Emily. So don’t beat him up, or…I’ll kick your ass.” Rae explained, making it clear that she wasn’t afraid to take a stand against her brother for Zacky.

“He fucks up again, it’s his ass he’ll have to be apologizing to. I’m sick of it, Rae.”

Zacky stepped into the living room, taking a stance next to Rae and looking straight at Matt. “I realize that. You don’t have to threaten me, either.”

Matt went to say something, but was cut off when Zacky made his way up the stairs to find his daughter.

“I’m going to talk with Rae, you keep your cool.” Val said just before pecking Matt’s cheek and getting up from the couch, signaling for Rae to follow.

+++

Zacky made his way down the hallway to Ella’s room where he knew Emily would always stay when she was over. He heard some shuffling coming from the room.

He leaned against he door jam of Ella’s room and watched Emily study the fuzzy teddy bear with sparkling brown eyes. She sat there, poking at its nose with such concentration and pouty lips. Emily was adorable.

It looked as if Emily had grown bored and set the teddy bear on the bed of pink and purple blankets that she had probably put together for her teddy to sleep. She covered it with another blanket. Zack sighed quietly, watching his daughter move about with a small aura of sadness. In the crib laid Ella, fast asleep with her stuffed turtle.

Emily stood and looked around the room for another plush toy to play with when her eyes landed on the doorway, spotting Zacky standing there, looking just as upset as her, but not for long. Her jaw nearly hit the floor when she saw him, then smiled.

“Dah-dee! Misses you!” She whispered quietly, but was full of excitement.

Emily ran as fast as her little legs would let her and jumped into his waiting arms, instinctively laying her head on his shoulder, her nose pressed into the nape of his neck.

Zacky, he felt whole again. Emily seemed to have forgotten what had happened and was just extremely happy to have her daddy hold her again. That was exactly how Zacky felt; loving holding his baby in his arms, but he’d never forget how he hurt her.