‹ Prequel: I Treated You So Wrong

Lets Make It Last Forever

Twelve

Zacky and Emily lay cuddled under the big comforter, fast asleep. Rae had awoken early morning, unable to sleep any longer.

She decided to leave the two to sleep while she straightened up the house. Having not been home in a few days and leaving an upset Zacky behind, the house was a bit messy.

It was a mild, sunny day. The birds chirped peacefully outside, a few of the windows were open, allowing the songs to flow through the air and grace anyone’s ears that were around to hear their beautiful songs.

The house was quiet, just perfect for Rae to sit on the deck and sip her homemade mocha. At one point in her life, she’d been a barista, known for making the best coffee in the Huntington Beach area.

The sky was dimly lit, giving off the perfect atmosphere for a great day to come. Rae pulled the dark purple silk robe closer to her body, then crossed her left leg over her right knee. Watching the sunrise was one of her favorite things to do since she was little. If she was lucky, Matt would drag himself out of bed and watch with her, but those days became rare once he and Val had gotten together, then Zacky took over, which she couldn’t have been happier.

Rae was so entranced by the view that she hadn’t realized that Zacky had quietly made his way behind the lounge chair. He gently slipped his hands over her shoulders and down her chest, then back up to rest on her shoulders.

Rae smiled.

Zacky didn’t even have to ask; Rae stood up from her chair so Zacky could sit, then she took her seat in his lap, sideways so her head lay in the crook of his neck and his arm linked around her waist.

Zacky caressed the bare skin of Rae’s thighs, drawing invisible and small circles on the warm flesh. She gave him a gentle kiss on his neck and turned to face the sunrise again, setting her coffee mug on the deck table and lacing her fingers with Zacky’s other hand.

“Remember how we always used to do this?” He whispered into her hair, earning himself a soft nod. “We haven’t done this in a while…”
“We’ve been so busy…you and the guys working so hard, taking care of Emily…we just get so tired so easily that we sleep through it all…” Rae replied just as quietly.

Nodding in agreement, Zacky kissed the side of Rae’s head and pulled her robe back to cover her legs.

“Is Emily still sleeping?” Rae asked.

“Yeah…I think Uncle Matt wore her out…” he chuckled lightly.

“He does keep her very busy.”

Silence embraced them once again. The sky grew brighter and Rae’s eyes got heavier. She was far more tired then she let on. With being so full of stress and worry, then having to make things right all over again. It was a routine that both she and Zacky were getting tired of repeating so often.

Rae soon fell asleep. Zacky carefully got up and took Rae into the house, then up to their room where she slept next to Emily, peacefully. Zacky watched them for a while, then did his morning routine of showering, dressing, then his hair for the day ahead of him. He left the house after writing a note and leaving it on the coffee maker, for he knew Rae would drink more when she awoke.

Nodding to himself he walked out the door and drove away in his car.