‹ Prequel: I Treated You So Wrong

Lets Make It Last Forever

Four

“Zack,” Rae patted his butt to get him out of bed. “Your damn phone keeps beeping and it’s time to get up.”

Zacky growled from under his pillow and lazily waved her off, not wanting to get out of bed.

“Come on, now.” Rae made sure his bottom half was clothed before she threw the comforter off of his body which made Zacky growl loudly and sit up.

“What the fuck is your problem?” He shot up, causing his neck to ache severely, having slept wrong during the night.

Rolling her eyes, Rae went to the wardrobe and pulled out a green summer dress and a pair of white leggings at the bottom of the legs. She slipped her outfit on and tossed a pair of her heels towards the bedroom door so that she wouldn’t have to dig when she wanted to leave.

Zacky pressed his finger into the knots in his neck, hoping to rid the tension so that the ache would go away.

“You can’t stay in bed all day, babe. If you do, you may just get a new cell phone number. I’m sick of hearing that thing beep every two minutes.”

Zacky rolled his jade colored eyes and laid back down, laying on his stomach. “Just shut the damn thing off, it’s not that hard.”

“You shut it off, it’s your phone.”

“What the hell, Rae?” Zacky growled, sitting up and looking straight at her as she pulled her bangs back.

Rae looked at him through the vanity mirror with a raised eyebrow and a clip between her lips.

“Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, or what?”

Rae clipped her bangs back and turned around. “Actually, I couldn’t. Your ass was in the way of that happening.” She walked out of the room, taking her heels with her.

Zacky sighed in aggravation and got out of the bed, then left the room after slipping on a pair of plaid pajama bottoms.

“Dah-dee!” Emily yelled from her doorway, wearing a similar outfit to Rae’s only a pink dress.

Zacky stopped and looked at her, brushing his bed-head down.

“You play?” She stepped up in front of him and craned her neck to look into his eyes.

“Not right now, Emily.” He patted her head and continued down to the kitchen, leaving Emily to stand in the middle of the hallway by herself, a questioning look on her slightly chubby face.

“Why don’t you do us all a favor and go get laid.” Zacky heard Rae from the kitchen.

“I tried last night, but the other half was a fucking rock.” He glared and walked past her, grabbing a mug from the cabinet for coffee.

“Oh, HA-HA.” She rolled her eyes and sat at the kitchen table, sipping her French vanilla creamed coffee.

Next to the coffee pot, Zacky phone quickly beeped three times, signaling that he had a new text message, maybe even more. Not wanting to listen to Rae bitch even more, he snatched his phone from the counter and slid it open, reading on of the five messages.

Dude we need to work on some new chords. Call me back. From Brian.

That was what every message said, only some were worded differently.

“Emmy, come get some breakfast.” Rae called out to Emily.

Fast, but some stumbling little foot steps zoomed through the living room and into the kitchen, abruptly stopping at Rae’s side. Emily held her arms up for Rae to set her in her lap so she could eat and watch Rae read the comics from the newspaper.

“Show peanut to Mattie.” Emily giggled.

She loved the Peanuts comic strips. In some ways, Charlie Brown reminded her of Matt; his round head which was sometimes shaved. Sometimes she called him peanut which was the cutest thing in the world in Rae’s eyes.

“I see Mattie ‘day.” She picked up a few dry Cheerios and stuffed them into her mouth.

Zacky leaned his head against the cabinet and shut his eyes, wanting to drown out every sound in the house. His neck ached, a headache slowly was making an appearance. With Emily talking so much, nothing was helping Zacky’s nerves.

“Daddy…” Zacky huffed. “Play ‘day?”

“No, Emily.” He said lowly, a tone Emily wasn’t used to him using.

“Ho’come?”

“Because I said no, Emily. Just not.” He growled. “Go play or something.”

Emily blinked, her green eyes swimming with confusion and hurt. Rae kissed both of Emily’s cheeks and set her down, quietly whispering for her to go into the living room. Emily sniffled and walked away slowly, disappearing through the doorway. Angry, Rae walked up behind Zacky and took a hold of his hair in the back and turned him around, a death glare gracing her face.

“What the fuck is wrong with you?” She hissed, careful not to yell.

Zacky pushed her hand away and glared back at her. “I’m not in the mood, alright, just leave me the fuck alone.”

“I don’t give a shit what mood you’re in. That is no way to talk to a little girl, let alone your own. She’s a damn toddler, for fuck sake. She just wants to be with her daddy, but no. You have to be a jerk to her.”

“Whatever, Rae.”

“Yeah, whatever.” Rae rolled her eyes and walked out of the kitchen.

She got Emily ready, slipped on her heels, then left the house, leaving Zacky to deal with himself.