‹ Prequel: I Treated You So Wrong

Lets Make It Last Forever

Five

“See peanut!” Emily yelled from the backseat of the car in a sever out.

Emily was quickly put into a sour mood when Zacky snapped at her. Rae didn’t understand why Zacky acted the way he had. Honestly, he had no excuse. He could yell and scream at Rae all he wanted, but when he raised his voice to a little girl who had done nothing wrong, that’s where the very thin line was drawn.

“Soon, baby. I promise.” Rae grabbed a pink sippie cup with a rubber cap, almost like a baby bottle and handed it back to Emily, who refused it.

That was rare. When Emily was upset or sick, she would only drink from a bottle or something similar. This time, she must have been too upset to even be thirsty. Rae offered the cup again, but Emily shoved Rae’s hand away with her tiny fist. Sighing, Rae set the cup in the drink holder and continued down the street towards Matt’s house.

“See peanut…” Came Emily’s voice from the back, only quiet and a small sob at the end.

“Daddy’s sorry, sweetie. He didn’t mean it.” Rae cooed and looked at her through the rear-view mirror, but Emily vigorously shook her head ‘no’.

“Did!” She squealed and stomped her feet in the air. “Uh mean…”

Rae licked her slightly chapped lips and pulled up in front of Matt and Val’s house along the curb and shut the car off. Emily waited patiently for Rae to unbuckle her. After grabbing both her bag and Emily’s bag, Rae unbuckled her and watched her run up the walkway to the front door. Her tiny fists pounded on the hard wood, sounding like a normal knock on the door. Val opened the door with a smile, but was soon attacked with a quick hug to her leg by Emily, then took off to find Matt.

Val looked at Rae with a confused expression. “What’s wrong with her?”

Rae tucked her hair behind her ears and sighed, “Zacky snapped at her and now she’s upset.”

“What the hell did he snap for?”

“I have no idea. I woke him up so he wouldn’t sleep all day, then he was just full of himself as soon as I touched him. Emily wanted to know when he’d play with her and he kept saying now until he snapped.”

Val shook her head and led Rae in; Rae set her bags next to the door and walked into the living room, seeing Emily zoom in and instantly climb onto Matt’s lap.

“Peanut!” She mumbled against his shoulder, he arms wrapping around his neck.

Matt laughed and hugged her small body to his chest and kissed the top of her head. “How’s my munchkin today?”

Emily shook her head and buried her face in the nape of his neck, her arms still holding onto him. Matt looked over at Rae; she shook her head and headed to the kitchen with Val close behind her.

“What’s the matter? Tell Mattie why you’re sad, please?” Matt asked quietly, rubbing Emily’s back soothingly.
“Uh meanie…”

“Meanie? Who’s a meanie?”

“Dah-dee…”

Matt pressed a kiss to Emily’s temple and stood up. “Why was daddy mean?”

“Loud talk…”

“Well, I’ll tell daddy not to be mean, okay?”

“’Kay…”

Matt smiled and walked up the stairs and to Ella’s room so Emily and she could play together. “You two be good,” he gave them both kisses and went down to the kitchen with Val and Rae.

“What the hell is going on? Why is Emily saying Zacky was mean?”

Rae crossed her left leg over her right knee and sipped at her chilled water. “He was in a bad mood when I woke him up. Emily was asking him to play and he said no. She asked him again and when he would play and he just raised his voice. Emily got mad and demanded that we come here.”

“Bad mood or not, that’s no excuse to yell at her.” Matt pulled out a carton or orange juice from the fridge and took a large gulp.

“Matthew!” Val hissed and slapped his shoulder.

Matt coughed a bit and put it back into the fridge, a smile on his face. “Sorry babe.”

Val rolled her eyes and kissed his cheek anyways.

“Well, I’ll be talking to Zack. He has no excuse.”

“I know that, Matt.” Rae sighed.

“The girls are upstairs playing, I’m going to go find his punk ass.”

“Don’t beat him up, too bad Matt. Emily still needs a dad.”

Matt huffed and walked out of the kitchen, leaving Rae and Val to stare at each other.

“Is it alright if Emily stays here tonight?” Rae asked suddenly.

Val took a seat next to her and nodded. “She’s always welcome.”

“Thanks…”