Status: Paused

Baby Come On

One Year Later

Leah Davies was going to be a sophomore this year. Notice the use of the word was. Instead of being a sophomore in college she was working as a receptionist in a hotel. Why was she working instead of going to school? Two reasons: She could hardly afford it and now she had a baby to support. You see, Leah had a baby her freshman year. She wasn't one to abandon a baby. This choice resulted with no support from her parents. Where is the father you ask? Leah didn't even know who the father was, only that his name began with and 'A'. Oh, but she loved that baby boy. She loved him more than anything in the world.

"You be good for Auntie ReRe." Leah spoke in a baby voice to her son, Nathan Alexander. She tried to incorporate an 'A' into the name. Just because she didn't remember anything about the man who should be fathering her son, didn't mean he wasn't a part of Nathan. Leah kissed her son's forehead and her newly sober sister, Marie, on the cheek.

"I'll be back at lunch, Marie!" she shouted at the last minute before she shut the front door behind her. She began the long walk to work as the sun emerged fully from the horizon

__

"Leah, you're 5 minutes late," Mark, another receptionist, said. "I need to get home on time."

"Sorry, Mark." Leah punched herself in as Mark gathered his things. Mark had the shift be fore Leah. His mother had a stroke last month and he had to be back home when she woke up in the morning. "Nate was being impossible this morning."

"Isn't he always? I would be too if you woke me up as early as you do Nathan. I'll see you later Leah." Mark hurried outside and Leah took a seat at the receptionist desk. She prepared herself for another day in her pathetic life.

__

After work, Leah returned to a screaming Nathan and a frantic Marie.

"He's been like this for twenty minutes! I can't get him to calm down!" Marie was heating a bottle. She was completely bedraggled. Her once perfect ponytail was falling out and the circles under her eyes were darker than usual.

"Re, you should go home," Leah said picking Nathan up and bouncing him gently on her hip. "You need some rest. I'll be fine. I promise." Leah smiled at her sister. Marie had been working so hard since she got out of rehab. What with going to school at night and babysitting during the day, Marie was exhausted.

"Are you sure? I mean, I could stay if you want," but Marie was already grabbing her jacket and purse. Leah merely laughed and shook her head. "You are truly amazing, big sister," Marie said with a smile before shutting the door behind her. Now all Leah had to do was get Nathan to calm down.

She honestly did love her son, but sometimes taking care of him got a little stressful. Leah continued to bounce Nate as she grabbed the warm bottle and sat down on the couch. It was mere minutes before Nate was done with the bottle and was screeching again. Leah sighed, stood and made her way to her sad excuse for a bedroom

She was living in a one bedroom, one bath apartment. When her parents disowned her, Leah was left with nothing. She was living on the streets for the first trimester of her pregnancy. When her sister, Marie, got out of rehab and learned what happened she found Leah. Marie got their parents to pay for Leah's medical bills and helped her sister find a job. Soon Leah had enough money to buy this pathetic excuse for an apartment. Marie bought a crib for Nathan, which Leah set up in her bedroom, along with some clothes for the baby. When Nathan was born she still helped Leah. She was the only person in Leah's life for a long time. Then Leah met Mark and they became friends. After a while Nathan's tantrums would get to be too much for Leah to handle and she would have to get out of the house. Tonight she needed to get out of the house. Sometimes Leah felt bad for dumping Nate on Mark when he had his mother to take care of, but Mark always welcomed him with open arms. Tonight was no different. After Leah dropped Nathan off at Mark's house she headed out in search of some kind of party.

Leah always did this. She looked for college parties she wasn't invited to, had a couple drinks, partied, and then headed home. Once again, tonight was no different.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment?
It makes me happy.