Status: Paused

Baby Come On

Meet My Son

"Come on. I'll take you home." Alex grabbed Leah's upper arm and began leading her through the crowd. She stumbled once.

"Why are you doing this? Being nice to a complete stranger, I mean."

"I don't know. Maybe if you told me your name we wouldn't be strangers." Alex helped her down the front steps and down the street to her car.

"It's Leah."

"Thank you." Leah headed toward the driver's side but Alex stopped her. "I don't think you and driving make a good pair right now," He said taking her to the passenger side. Leah slid into the seat and reluctantly handed Alex her keys.

"You're not gonna try to sleep with me are you? I don't need another kid."

"No. I wouldn't do that to you."Again

"How'll you get home?" Leah asked slumping in her seat. She was getting tired.

"I'll get a cab I guess."

"You need to stop somewhere first," Leah yawned. Alex gave her a sideways glance.

"Alright. Navigate me," he spoke.

Leah gave Alex directions to Mark's house. She fiddled with the radio dial, never settling on one station for more than one song. Alex hated that about the radio. There was never any really good music. It was always what was hip now or what was hip in the 70s 80s or 90s. It was never just good music.

"What house is it?" Alex asked turning onto the street Leah mentioned earlier.

"It's coming up on your left." Leah mumbled. Alex could tell she was sleepy. She needed to sleep off the alcohol in her system. "That's the one."

Alex stopped the car quickly causing Leah's body to jolt forward along with his own.

"Sorry." He gave her a sheepish grin. Alex heard Leah mumble a response before exiting the car. Alex didn't know if he should follow or not.

Tap. Tap.

Alex turned to his right. Leah's face was on the other side of the passenger window. She mouthed 'Are you coming or not?' Alex nodded before exiting the car. The pair walked up to the front door of the house. Leah raised a fist and knocked on the door twice. Less then a minute later, Mark opened the door. Alex eyed him up. He wasn't that great.

"Leah! I didn't think you'd pick up Nate until tomorrow." Marks face matched his surprised tone. "He's sleeping in the den." He stepped aside to let Alex and Leah inside.

"Mark this is Alex, my," Leah trailed off. What was Alex?

"New friend," Alex finished for her. He flashed a smile and Leah returned one before heading towards what Alex assumed was the den. He reached out his right hand which Mark shook. Mark's face was ridden with concern. Alex could tell he didn't trust him and he was okay with that. He could prove him wrong.

"Alex," The men had not broken each other's gaze since Leah left the room but when she spoke they looked up. Leah smiled tiredly at Alex.

"Meet my son." Alex's heart rate increased at those words. She had no idea that she was introducing Alex to his son as well. He was meeting his son. A baby boy was resting on Leah's hip. Alex almost stopped breathing. This was his son, even if was hard to tell. He looked almost exactly like his mother. The only thing the boy had in common with Alex was the light brown hair that was barely covering the baby's head. The boy's head was resting on his mother's shoulder and his eyes we closed in sleep. Alex was in awe. This was his son.

"What's his name?" Alex asked trying to regain his composure.

"Nathan." Leah had a look of nervousness cross her face before she answered.

"Well we should probably get going," Alex said heading for the door.
Leah followed after giving Mark a hug and a 'thanks'. Alex and Leah made their way to the car, Nathan in tow. Leah strapped the baby into a car seat Alex hadn't noticed was there. Leah got in the seat next to her son.

"You're not sitting up front?" Alex questioned.

"Not when I can sit with my baby, no."

"So where do you live?"

"I live in Millinger apartments. It's right down the stre-"

"From the college." Alex interrupted. "I live there too." How had he not seen her before? Leah was living right under his nose the entire time! Alex knew them living so close would aid in his getting to know her.

Alex was tired of being considered the party boy. He was tired of keeping up appearances. He was tired of having a 'rep to protect'. He was tired of all of it. But that one night he had with Leah, he wasn't burdened by any of those things. He was just Alex. He didn't know why he was himself around Leah. She just had an effect on him. Alex liked it. That was why he was determined to befriend Leah. He could be himself around her. He could be with his son. Most young men would run from the responsibility of a child, but not Alex. He was never one to run away from anything. Even though it was hard for hi to admit, Alex was actually glad to be part of his son's life. Even if the boy never knew Alex was his father.

Alex knew his thoughts would seem messed up and confusing to others but he didn't care.

"Thanks for this." You really didn't need t do any of it. If there's anyway I can-" Leah started as Alex pulled into the Apartments parking lot.

"It's no trouble at all, believe me," Alex paused. "Leah," his tone was serious. "I think this whole going out and getting drunk thing isn't something you should be doing. Treating your son like that isn't good. What if you drove yourself home tonight? And got in an accident? What if you ended up dead? I know you weren't that drunk but it could have happened." Leah's head was in her hands. "Do you know what that could do to a kid? It could fuck them up. Nathan would go to Social Services, then to a foster home, then another and another!" Alex's voice was rising slightly with every statement. "You can't keep doing this shit! It's messed up! You'll be hurting yourself and your ba-"

"Shut up!" Leah cut Alex off. Nathan was crying now. "Shut up! Shut up! You just met me! How can you judge me like that? You have no idea what my life is like! You don't know how I live or how hard it is to raise a kid! Do you think I never thought about that stuff? I do! I think about it every time I go out!"

"Then why do it? Why do it if you know all those things could happen? I know I just met you but I'm still concerned! You have a baby to take care of! I'm not gonna sit back and watch you ruin his life!"

"Oh! Now you're telling me how to take care of my kid? How would you know? Do you have a child?"

Yes. You're holding him.

Nathan was full out wailing now. Leah and Alex both exited the car. Leah grabbed Nate out of his car seat. She started bouncing him and making shushing noises to calm him down.

"Look, I'm sorry. I'm just worried." Alex said softly looking down at his feet.

"Why? You just met me," Leah said from the other side of the car. Alex could only see her from the chest up. She was still bouncing Nathan slightly, now with a rocking motion.

"This probably sounds weird and stalkerish but I feel like I know you." Alex dared to look up. Leah's face was calm now, as was Nate's.

"Yeah. You're right. That does sound weird and stalkerish." Leah laughed a little, which surprised Alex. "Look, I'm sorry I blew up at you. It's just, I hate when people judge me or treat me different because I'm a mom. Just because I have a kid doesn't mean I'm a whore or can't do things. Ya know? It just frustrates me to no end."

"I'm not gonna say I know how you feel, because I don't. I just want to say I'll understand. If you ever need someone to talk to I'm in 24A. I just want to be your friend." Alex gave Leah a hopeful look.

"Thank you, Alex. It means a lot." She smiled and Alex returned the favor. "I think he's asleep. Thanks for all this. You didn’t need t do it," Leah spoke walking to the apartment building B.

"It was no problem."

No problem at all.
♠ ♠ ♠
The last line makes Alex sound evil. Its not meant to.
It just means that he was glad to help her if it gets them friends.
That one was pretty long. I like the fight.
Comment pretty please?

Vee