Seem to Stop My Breath

Hide The Details, I Don't Want To Know A Thing

Gerard’s point of view

I picked Cassie up around 11 ish to go to her parent’s house. We got there and the interrogation began. Cassie was actually defending me at one point because she though her parents were being too harsh on me. Honestly, if my daughter brought home some guy that looked like me I’d probably freak out and ask the same kinds of questions. I felt that I was doing pretty good answering their questions, but right before we went out to dinner, I went to the bathroom to compose myself. Actually I never got to the bathroom. As soon as Cassie’s father though I was out of earshot, not being completely human, I have excellent hearing, he started asking Cassie questions.
“How can he pay rent if he works in a small bookstore part time.” her dad asked
“He still lives in his parents’ house.”
“How sweet” Cassie’s mother added.
“He lives in this gigantic house, well; it’s almost like a manor about a half an hour away from me.”
“Cassie, there aren’t manors in this part of the U.S.”
“Yes there are dad, I’ve seen it, and I’ve been in it. The only reason he works at the bookstore is out of boredom. And the fact that it’s run by the Covens.”
That’s it, she blew our cover, I wasn’t mad at her, far from it. It would make things a lot easier; I wouldn’t have to hide it. However, I was scared for her life; I can’t even imagine having a daughter tell me that she was dating a vampire.
“Cassie, did you just say coven?”
“Yes father”
“What exactly do you mean by ‘coven’?”
This was my chance to tell him myself, I appeared in the doorway and Cassie saw me first. She looked at me like she was about to say sorry. I mouthed “don’t worry about it.” I sat down next to Cassie and put my arm around her shoulders, she was shaking.
“Sir, what she means by coven is exactly what you’re thinking.”
“Really?”
“Yes sir.”
“As a vampire what interest do you have in my daughter?
“As a vampire? Nothing. As a part human? A friend.”
“But you two are more than friends.”
“Yes sir, we are.”
“Okay, it’s about time we go to dinner.” Cassie’s mom interrupted.
“Yes!” Cassie grabbed my wrist and pulled me off the couch. Trying to separate her father and me.
Unfortunately he put his hand on my shoulder and I spun around.
“Can we talk in private?”
“Sure”
“Cassie tell your mother that we’ll be there in a minute.”
“Okay Dad. Good luck!” She whispered the last part.
He waited for Cassie to close the door before he started talking.
“Seriously Gerard, what interest do you have in my daughter? I don’t want to see her hurt in more ways than one.”
“Sir, are you implying that I am merely using your daughter like a piece of meat? I can assure you I’m not; I could never hurt her like that.”
I was completely honest, almost; I didn’t think this would be the perfect time to say that I was madly in love with his daughter. He looked at me, almost like he was trying to read my mind. After what seemed like minutes he realized I was telling the truth and we walked out the door to where Cassie and her mom were waiting.