Seem to Stop My Breath

This Was A Therapeutic Chain Of Events

This Was A Theraputic Chain of Events
]Gerard's Point Of View

“Hey, Pete, you’re looking a bit peaky”

“Yeah I know, I’ve got some hunting to do tonight, wanna come?”

“No, I prefer being alone, that way if I mess up there’s no one to blame but me.”

“Suit yourself”

it was a boring day, as always, at the bookstore. The town was focused on sports, making it the perfect place to go hunting. It was always so easy to pick off a straggler and attack in an alleyway, no one would realize for a couple of hours that the person was missing which gave me enough time to hide the evidence. Pete and I started to play with the magnetic poetry kits on sale in the store, out of pure boredom. It became a game of who could come up with the stupidest sentences. Eventually we got tired of it and Pete went to find another game for the two of us to play. While I was standing behind the counter, the bell above the door rang. I looked up in time to see the most beautiful girl I’ve ever seen. Her dark brown hair went past her shoulders. It looked like one of those scenes from a movie where the girl walks in at the guy is automatically whipped. Well, I am. I could tell immediately that she wasn’t from town. No one, except for everyone at The House, dressed in all black. She shook the hair out of her face which brought be back into reality. She spotted me behind the register and walked over. I did my best to no stare at her. When we were face to face I could see directly into her clear green eyes. She gave me a nervous glance.

“Hi.”

“Hi, um, I’m… Gerard how can I help you?”

“Well, I’m looking for some books.”

“You defiantly came to the right place then.”

She laughed, I tried not to hit myself on the forehead with an abnormally large dictionary that we kept on the counter.

“Yeah, a bookstore, who would think it”

“So, what can I help you find?”

“iI’s a trilogy, called His Dark Materials.”

“By Phillip Pullman?”

“Yeah, you heard of it?”

“I read it, I just don’t know where it is in the store, let me run it through the computer then I’ll
show you where they are.”

I typed the books into the computer and got the exact location.

“Kay, well, uh, follow me, I’ll lead you to them.”

STUPID! What the fuck did I just say? I don’t even think it was a sentence. She followed me though the store to the Fantasy Sci-Fi section. My finger slid across the spines of the books until it came across Pullman. I slid the book off the shelf and handed it to the girl. She smiled for the first time and it looked as if she hadn’t smiled in a long time.

“Thanks” she mumbled

“Your welcome, do you need anything else?”

“Uh… not right now.”

“Okay, well, when you’re ready you can come up to the counter and I’ll ring you up.”

“Kay thanks”

She toward the other endless aisles of books and I headed back to the counter where Pete had now reappeared

“Strip poker?”

I looked at Pete who was struggling to keep a straight face.

“I know we can’t play strip poker Gerard, anyways, I don’t want to see your sickly pale body.”

“Thanks?”

“No prob, any who, all I could find a chess set.”

“Okay, sounds like it will keep us entertained for at least twenty minutes”

We started to play, Pete was a lot better at chess than me. That’s why we normally didn’t play chess, I was saved by the dark-haired stranger though. I saw her coming from the other side of the store. Pete caught me staring.

“You know it’s not polite to stare.”

“Sure”

“G? you still there buddy?”

Pete kicked me, a harsh way to bring me back to reality but it did the trick.

“OWWW”

By this time she was already at the counter and she gave me a strange look. Pete got the idea and started to walk away.

“I’ve, got to, uh, reorder some books.”

He left me alone with the girl at the front of the store.

“So, did you find everything you need?”

“Yeah”

“Okay”
I took the books and rang them up. She gave me the cash and I put the books in a bag.

“Thanks”

“You’re welcome, come back sometime.”

I kind of mumbled the last part. Whishing I could say something more witty and no-bookstore related. I watched he walk out the door, not even blinking. Pete interrupted my little day dream though.

“Did you get her number?”

“No”

“Why not? I’m surprised she didn’t give it to you herself. Didn’t your parents ever teach you
it’s not polite to drool?”

“My parents taught me a lot, mostly morals actually, but, they’re not home right now.”

“Whoa, where are they?”

“Trip throughout Europe, to visit their favorite places.”

“Oh sounds…”

“Romantic? Yeah, that’s what they told me, I didn’t care.”

“yeah I really don’t want to think of my parents that way”

“They did leave me in charge though”

“Oh, so you’re 26 and finally man of the house!”

“I guess, but chances are I’ll never be man of the house, my parents would have to die for
that to happen”

“too true”