Seem to Stop My Breath

It's Kind Of Funny How You're Not Listening Anyway

Cassie’s point of view

My dad took the news that Gerard was a vampire surprisingly well. I didn’t think he’d accept the fact. Actually, it’s quite weird, normally he gets angry or annoyed when I bring a guy home from another town, and Gerard was his own separate subspecies. Something was wrong though, he couldn’t be that okay with it. He probably was just too shocked at the time. As Gerard and I got closer I spend more time at his house. Often it would be just hanging out or watching a movie. There were several rare occasions where I was invited to play paintball, one of their weird obsessions. I went home heavily brushed and sore. I did end up getting a new job though. Gerard suggested that I work at the bookstore like everyone else did. At first it seemed weird, because I was the only human there. Eventually I got used to it. Sometimes it seemed like Gerard was trying to make me apart of the coven without actually making me a vampire. I talked to Tes one day and she told me that if Gerard and Mickey’s parents were home, I wouldn’t be allowed to do half the stuff I do. The Way’s had left on vacation three weeks ago. I met them once, about two months ago. They seemed like nice people, but I couldn’t help feel like I was being interviewed for something. I had this big false hope that they were going to make me a vampire, but nothing happened afterwards. One day, I was at then House when Gerard came home and announced that there would be a party six months from then. It would me more like a ball than a party though. I heard Ana mumble to Crash that I couldn’t attend unless I was a vampire. It would be “too risky” because someone would end up biting me. My only question was why I hadn’t been bitten. At that point, we had been dating for a little over two years. I was talking to Tes and she said that Ray had bitten her. I decided to confront Ray; maybe he had an insight onto Gerard’s mind. I cornered him one day when we were working in the bookstore. No one was there, and we were playing Connect Four.
“So, Ray”
“Yeah Cassie?”
He needed to get one more to connect four, he realized it and smiled.
“When did you decide to make Tes a Vampire?”
He was surprised I asked, he jerked his hand right before he let go of the red checker and it slipped down the wrong row. He froze for a second then looked up at me.
“Why?”
“Just wondering.”
“Liar”
“So what if I’m curious?”
“First of all, you shouldn’t be talking to me about this.”
“Why not?”
He looked down at the Connect Four Game I had just won. He pulled the release and we started separating the checkers. I put my piece in; Ray sighed and looked up at me.
“I can’t be the one to tell you all this.”
“All what?”
“All that happens if you are approved to be made a Vampire.”
“Approved?”
I caught him, he didn’t realize it.
“Yeah, you have to be approved; otherwise there would be a lot of us around. Also, the process you’d have to go through is really hard. Pain beyond any pain you can ever imagine. Not just physical, it stresses you out a lot. In fact, that’s another problem. Some people get so depresses that they commit suicide.”
“Oh”
My voice actually squeaked when I said that. He said suicide, as in death. Was he exaggerating? I sure as hell hoped he was.
“Yeah, that’s why whenever someone in our coven bites someone it’s a big deal. We end up watching them for the entire month making sure they’re okay.”
Before he could say anything else, Gerard walked in. He ran up to me and kissed me. Then he picked me up and spun me around. A little confused, and a little dizzy, I looked at the gigantic smile on his face.
“What?”
“Guess what I got”
“Fire?”
He put me down trying not to laugh.
“No, no fire, yet.”
He said the last part quite seductively. I was about to guess something else when he spoke again.
“Tickets”
“NO WAY!”
I had been trying for weeks to get tickets to a play that was going to be in a town about an hour away. I didn’t succeed. Obviously Gerard did.
“When?”
“Friday night”