Seem to Stop My Breath

My Broken Bride

Gerard

“We can’t have it here if Cassie isn’t well, you know that” My dad said closing the refrigerator door.

“We have but one option then” My mom whispered.

“You can’t cancel it!” I exclaimed

My parents looked at me like I was crazy

“Invitations are yet to be mailed, we’ll simply change the date” my mom said looking at me
oddly

“OH, oh okay right.”

“You can go back to her side” Dad said.

I left the sitting room that my parents were in on the first floor and headed up a back
staircase to Cassie’s’ room. She looked just like I had left her, sill unconscious, but otherwise completely healthy. Cassie should have woken up by now; it had been about two weeks. It didn’t bother Bert or Amy that she wasn’t conscious yet, they kept reassuring me that everything would be fine. Knelt next to the bed and gently ran my fingers down the disappearing scar on her neck. I sighed and cupped her face in my hand. She groaned, and then nuzzled my hand. My eyes widened as hers barely opened.

“Oh my God, Cassie?”

Her eyes focused on me and I saw a smile form on her lips.

“You’re awake!”

I leaned forward and kissed her lightly on the lips.

“What happened?” she asked.

I paused, unsure of how to tell everything that had gone on in the past few weeks.

“What was the last thing you remember?”

Our fingers intertwined as she spoke.

“Waking up and thinking I saw you, then everything fading to black as he bit me.”

“We saved you, that’s all that matters.”

I leaned in and kissed her forehead.

“Thank you” She sounded really weak still, her voice was barely above a whisper.

“I have to tell everyone you’re awake, Bert and Amy wanted to know when you woke up just
to make sure you were okay.”

“Bert and Amy?”

“Your doctors.”

“Wait, how long have I been out?”

“Two weeks.”

“After you talk to Bert and Amy, I need to tell you something.”

She looked worried and anxious.

“Is something wrong?”

“No, I just, it’s time that I tell you. But don’t worry it’s nothing that bad.”

I kissed her forehead and got off of my knees. I slowly let go of her hand and walked out of
the room. Everyone was moping around on the first floor. But I was on a mission. I found
Bert and Amy who jumped up at the news and ran upstairs. They introduced themselves and asked Cassie a bunch of questions. When they were done, they left us alone again. Cassie scooted over so that I could get on the bed next to her.

“What did you want to talk about?”

“My ex. I shouldn’t of kept it from you for so long, but well, I didn’t want you to know.”

“Why?”

“It’s way to much baggage. My ex and I well… We had started to get close, rather soon after
he asked me out. We had sex rather early in the relationship. When it started to go sour, I didn’t know what to do.”

“Cassie, sweetie”

She closed her eyes and continued “he started to get abusive, and near raped me a few
nights.”

My blood started to boil

“Where is he?”

“One night I ended it and he stalked me for awhile. I got away, I moved here, I met you, everything seemed like I’d turn out okay.”

“Seem like? Cassie, where is he now?”

“I killed him.”

I blinked as she looked up at me.

“When?”

“He was my first victim, the first person’s blood I ever drank. I think he had found out where I was living, and decided he was going to pay me a visit. Because I was living here at the time, I think he took to roaming the town looking for me.”

“Cassie, he’s gone, you don’t have to worry about him now. What even brought this up?”

“I don’t know, I dreamt it before you rescued me.”

“Well, lie down and relax, nothing can harm you here. Plus, someone probably called your
parents, and well, I’m sure when they get here they’ll exhaust you.”

“They know I’m here” she said in barely a whisper, snuggling close to me.

“Yeah, well, your dad was sorta there when we realized you were missing. And they were
here when the stitches came out of your neck.”

“Oh.”
♠ ♠ ♠
seems like she's been out for months doesn't it?