Did Superman just crash through my window? Oh no its just a Vampire.

Out to Lunch

Hayden pulled up to this downtown little café. It was decorated with French candelabras and billowy shades. The maître’d lead us to a small table in the corner of the room. Hayden pulled out my chair for me and pushed me in then sat down himself, never taking his eyes off of me. I looked around to see all of the girls were now staring at Hayden which made me feel extremely uncomfortable, even though Hayden didn’t seem to notice one bit.

“What’s wrong honey?” Hayden inquired, placing his hand over mine.

He followed my anxious gaze to all of the girls that were ogling him. He smirked and said, “Feeling jealous yet, baby?”

I nodded, averting my eyes from him, “It’s just I was thinking if you hadn’t really loved anyone before, maybe you’d think you made the wrong choice” Hayden chuckled and leaned over the table so his mouth was right up against my ear, making sure it was the side everyone could see and whispered what sounded like French into my ear, ”Si je sais ce qu'est l'amour, c'est à cause de toi, mon chéri”

“Wh-What’s that?” I stuttered, as he settled back into his seat.

“If I know what love is, it is because of you, my darling” he whispered, squeezing my hand.

I wasn’t prepared to handle something like that. If Hayden had told me that in private, then I would have had no problem crying in front of Hayden, but I couldn’t risk embarrassing myself in front of all these people. I got up and walked quickly into the unisex bathroom, closing the door, breaking down into overwhelming tears.

“Oh my God…” I whimpered, taking gasping breaths.

“Honey…what’s wrong?” I heard Hayden whisper, knocking on the door.

“Hayden...” I sobbed, scrambling up to open the door.

Hayden was staring down at me, concerned, “What is it baby?”

“I just wasn’t ready for th-that” I stuttered, taking shaky breaths.

He smirked, walked into the bathroom and closed the door, locking it. He leaned in and whispered, “Let’s try and be quiet, love”

Hayden wrapped his arms around me and kissed me, pressing me against the bathroom wall, moving from my lips to my neck, kissing every spot he could.

“I love you, Fae” he murmured, bringing me down to the floor gently and swiftly climbing on top of me, stroking my cheek.

“Hayden…I don’t think it’s…” but he silenced me with another kiss.

I let out a slight moan as he buried his face in my neck, nibbling it slightly.

“Shh…” Hayden cooed, pressing a finger against my lips, a soft look in his eyes, “Remember, honey, we must be quiet”

“I’m sorry” I said in my smallest voice. He smirked and traced my lips with the tip of his finger, gazing down at me, his eyes transfixed, “I never knew one person could be so important”

Before I could respond, Hayden pressed his lips against mine, pressing me against the floor. He held my arms above my head with one hand and continued to kiss down my neck.

Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door, and Hayden leapt up, bringing me with him.

“I’ll see you back at our table, my love” Hayden whispered in my ear before disappearing out of sight.

I checked myself in the mirror. Looking past the blonde hair and blue eyes, my cheeks looked a little too rosy to have just been freshening up. I sighed and opened the door, revealing one of the girls that were gaping at Hayden standing there, tapping her foot impatiently.

“You done?” she inquired in a high-pitched voice that made me wince.

I gave her a sweet smile and nodded, brushing past her.

“Whore” I heard her mutter as she closed the door behind her.

I rolled my eyes and sat down at our table where Hayden was sitting, staring at me amused. “She is jealous of you, Fae, that’s all” Hayden assured, holding my hand.

“I’m fine, she doesn’t bother me” I said, in forced indifference.

The waiter brought me mint chocolate chip ice cream in an eloquent glass cup. I looked up at Hayden, slightly astonished. “How’d you know I was craving this?”

“Just a guess” he chuckled, squeezing my hand.

I grinned and began eating as Hayden watched, smiling slightly. Normally, I hated people watching me eat, but I felt comfortable with Hayden, he made me feel beautiful even when I was stuffing my face with ice cream.

After I was done, Hayden paid the bill and we walked out, Hayden’s arm around my waist. The girl from the bathroom glared at me as we exited.

“She’s just jealous, honey” he whispered in my ear.

“Yeah, jealous because you’re undeniably gorgeous” I muttered.

“Actually, what I meant was that they were jealous of you, you are way more beautiful than you lead yourself to believe, you know” he said, staring down at me, wistfully.

I rolled my eyes, “Hayden you’re just saying that…”

He rolled his eyes and sighed in frustration, “No I am not just saying that, why would I say such things if they were not true? It would be like every time I told you I loved you was a lie, and if you deny that, I would truly be speechless”

I stared up at him and mumbled, “I know you love me”

“Then my point is proven” he whispered, kissing the top of my head, “Would you like to go for a walk, love?”

“Sure” I said, smiling up at him.

He smiled back and began leading me down the sidewalk by the waist. We walked in silence down the endless streets, just enjoying being with each other. Whenever I was silent walking with anyone else for such a long amount of time, I would feel awkward, but with Hayden, words were not needed. The subtlest touch, such as Hayden running his hand up and down my spine, meant so much to me. I don’t think Hayden even realized he was making my cheeks flush.

“Here we are” Hayden whispered as we approached a park. I recognized it almost immediately, having made nearly half of my childhood memories there.

“This is where I play soccer” I mumbled. A sudden lump rose in my throat when I saw my team on the soccer field, practicing. It had been so long since I’d even seen a soccer ball.

“They’re playing really well” I whispered, watching as Allie Halyard passed the ball to Gina Jaffergies who made an outside shot and made it in on the top corner.

“What was that, Fae?” Hayden inquired, placing his hand on the small of my back, looking down at me, a hint of concern on his face.

“That’s my team” I choked out.

“Your…soccer team?”

I nodded, staring blankly at my old team, remembering our coach yelling at us in Italian words we couldn’t understand, Lacey and Casey’s freak outs from the sidelines, and of course, winning the championship last year.

I felt something hit my feet. I looked down to see a soccer ball at my feet.

“Over here” I heard a familiar voice call. It was Kara DiGiacomo, the goalie. She was the one I was closest to on the team. I kicked it up into my hands and threw it to her.

She caught it, staring at me, wide-eyed, “Fae…” she whispered, astonished.

I felt Hayden’s arm tighten around me, his eyes piercing.

“I-I don't know what you’re talking about” I stuttered, backing away.

“Fae it’s me, Kara, your friend” she said, taking a step towards me, staring at me, pleadingly.

“I have to go” I said, turning and quickly walking away with Hayden behind me. “Fae if that was your old life, it doesn’t sound half-bad” Hayden said calmly, not even slightly out of breath. “Everything’s better if you’re around” I muttered, becoming out of breath as I tried to out speed-walk him.

A strong grip suddenly came over me. I turned around to see Hayden, staring down at me, “Fae, you belong with them, you’re not happy with me, I could tell by that look on your face when she recognized you; you wanted to be with them”

“Hayden can we just go?” I begged, tears in my eyes.

“Fae…” he purred, holding my face in his hands, kissing my forehead.

“Hayden please!” I whimpered, a single tear running down my cheek. I would throw everything away if it meant being with Hayden forever.

“Okay…okay…” he whispered, stroking my hair. He took my hand and we walked to the car at a much faster pace this time.

I looked back to see Kara standing on the path staring after us with a strange expression on her face. She gave me a faint smile, almost as if she understood, and I had an even stranger feeling that she did.

We drove out of town to another park that I’d never been to before. Hayden took a picnic basket out of the trunk.

“Are you having a picnic too?” I joked.

He glared at me, muttering, “Not funny” “Sorry” I said, resting my head on his arm. He smirked and wrapped an arm around my waist, whispering, “One more crack like that and you’re going to be my picnic” he kissed my neck and looked up at me teasingly, his lips lingering near my neck.

I held back a laugh and looked away from him shyly.

He smiled against my neck, regained his posture and began leading me down the path.

We stopped at a beautiful field of green grass. Hayden laid a blanket on the ground and lay down, motioning for me to join him. I smiled and lay down next to him, digging my head into his shoulder, breathing him the scent of his skin and the fresh air, and when they came together, was the most refreshing thing in the world.

“I love you” Hayden whispered, his lips pressed against the top of my head.

“I love you too…duh” I said, wrapping my arms around his neck and squeezing as tightly as I could, not wanting him to be taken away from me.

“You know, if I were human, this would hurt” he murmured, rubbing my arm affectionately.

“But you’re not, so it doesn’t matter” I mumbled, pressing my face against his shoulder.

“Tell me something about your life” he said, suddenly.

“Um…you?” I said, unsurely.

“No, I mean your life before we met” he chuckled, ruffling my hair.

“Well…there’s not much to say” I said, playing with the collar of his leather jacket, running my fingers over the stitching.

“There must be something, it’s not like you were hiding in a cave until I came along on my white horse to sweep you away to a vampire’s paradise” he said with a hint of sarcasm.

“It seems like it” I whispered, closing my eyes.

“Please tell me, I want to know everything about you” he whispered, kissing the top of my head.

“I don't know where to begin…” I stuttered.

“Okay I’ll help you….hmm…have you ever broken any bones?” he asked.

“Yeah, I broke my ankle once playing football with my cousins, and I’ve broken my fingers like 10 times” I mumbled, yawning.

“Who’s ever bullied you?” he whispered his voice hard.

“Hayden…” I sighed, but he cut across me, “I’m just curious, my love, I won’t go chasing after them, promise”

“This guy always used to grab my butt…” I whispered, trying to remember my old life, pre-Hayden. It seemed like my life had been split into two completely different time periods pre-Hayden and post-Hayden.

“Teenage boys” he grimaced.

“You were one once too you know” I remarked, digging my head deeper into his shoulder.

“I know, Fae, but some of them can be so vulgar” he said, kissing my hair. I shivered, causing Hayden to pull me closer to him. I looked up to see that the snow was starting to fall.

“Christmas is coming” Hayden whispered, his hands running through my hair.

“Dammit I have to get you gift!” I exclaimed, jumping up.

“Baby you don’t have to get me anything, you’ve already given me all of you…I couldn’t possibly want more” he said, standing up, taking my hand and kissing it. Suddenly he perked and said, “Actually, there is one thing you could do for me, love”

“What? What is it?” I asked, eager to give him something, anything.

“A picture” he said, reaching into the basket and pulling out a small digital camera.

“Hayden…I don't like taking pictures” I mumbled, hiding my face in his chest.

“Come on Fae” he murmured, turning me around and pressing my back against his chest.

“No…!” I said, giggling slightly, trying to push the camera away from my face, but he started tickling my stomach, causing me to shriek with laughter. Then, I saw a flash and heard the click of a camera and the tickling suddenly stopped. Hayden always seemed to get what he wanted by tickling me.

“Perfect” he said, lowering the camera but not letting go of me. He rubbed my stomach gently, his lips kissing my neck.

“Hungry?” he asked, sitting down and opening the basket.

I nodded and sat down next to him as he pulled out an assortment of sandwiches and a bowl of fruit salad.

“When do you pack all of this stuff?” I asked, taking a sandwich and biting into it, a little too ferociously I might add. That was another thing I hated, I always looked like such a simpleton next to the lovely, well-mannered Hayden.

“You’re beautiful” he murmured, wiping some mustard from my lower lip, “And you sleep for a long time, I could leave, feed, go back home, and be back to the hotel all in the time you take to get a good sleep”

“You leave?!” I asked, my voice rising, my whole body tense.

“Honey I have to…you don’t want me to feed in front of you do you? I always have my eye on you Fae, whether you see me or not” he soothed, stroking my cheek.

“How?” I asked, a slave under his cool touch.

“When you became mine, I sort of…gained another sense…a sense that allows me to watch you in my mind when I can’t see you with my eyes” he explained, watching how my face moved whenever his hand moved, reveling in the control his romance brought.

“Is it strange that I’m not freaked out by that?” I asked, my eyes closed, reveling in Hayden’s touch.

“Yes” he sighed, kissing my forehead.