The Road to Acceptance

Chapter Ten

Billie felt sick. No matter how much cold water he splashed on his face, he couldn't shake off that ominous feeling of nausea. It all made sense to him now. Why Adrienne wouldn't go out with him because she was in love with someone else. He would have never expected that someone else to be her own brother.

He wished so hard that he was overreacting; that it was his imagination playing tricks on him. But he knew what he saw; the discreet way Adrienne had caressed Mike's thigh in the limo, and the way they had hastily pulled apart when he entered the kitchen.

'It's sick,' he thought to himself. 'It's sick as well as a crime. Do they not realise that they could go to jail if they got caught?'

A new thought entered Billie's head. 'Should I report them?'

The idea that he could send both of them to jail somehow satisfied him. It would be payment for Adrienne breaking his heart and Mike's deception. But then, he couldn't condemn his best friend and one-time lover to prison---could he? Staring hard into his reflection in the mirror above the fawcett, he searched for the answer in his own emerald gaze. Amidst his soul searching, he did not realise that someone else had entered the boys' bathroom.

"Billie, man?" queried Tre, "what're you doing? It's time to go play."

Still between reality and dream, Billie lazily nodded and slowly turned to leave with Tre. His head still swirling with ideas.

"What's up with Bill?" Mike asked Tre, as they took a short break between songs. "He's not as energetic as usual."

"I dunno. He's been quiet all night. I mean, he was really stoked to be coming her with Adie, but I've noticed that he hasn't paid her one bit of attention all night. Have they fallen out?"

Mike felt strangely glad at the prospect of Adrienne and Billie falling out. Tre noticed his sly grin and beckoned him angrily over to his drum kit.

"This is to do with you two isn't it?! Does he know?!"

"No! Of course not! Do you really think I'm stupid enough to tell him?! You know how much he likes Adie, it'd break his heart. And then he'd break my neck! I'm not going to put my best friend through that---not just yet anyway."

Tre frowned, unsure whether or not to trust his words. "Well Billie's pissed at something, and what pisses Billie off, pisses us all off so you better hope he doesn't know about you and Adie."

As Tre finished, Billie stepped back up to the microphone. Mike quickly took his place at his mic and repositioned his bass, ready to play.

"Now this next song, I wrote especially for a young lady who's very special to me---"

Mike saw Billie look over in Adrienne's direction, and for the first time that night he saw a smile form on his face. Jealousy coursed through his veins as Adrienne returned the smile.

Everyone waited for Billie to open up the song, but instead he remained quiet, still looking over at Adrienne.

"These lyrics are for you Adrienne Pritchard," he began again. "I refrained from showing them to the other guys because I wanted them to be a surprise."

Billie made to play a chord, but again stopped and looked round at his audience.

"But you see ladies and gentlemen---I now don't think that I'm the best person to be singing this song---because there's someone else in this room who's also vying for Adrienne's attention. And I really don't think I can compete with this person."

Adrienne felt like she was suffocating from the stares that people were giving her. Up on stage the remorse look on Billie's face proved to her all too well who the other person was. And from the way Mike had quickly paled, he knew too.

"Please don't do this Billie," she pleaded silently, desperately trying to connect her eyes with his.

"Billie what're you doing?" Tre hissed at him over his kit. "Just play the damn song!"

"I would Tre, But I really don't think I can. Not now. It'd all just be a waste---because I know she'd much rather have the other person sing my lyrics to her."

Billie scanned the audience, confused stares glared up at him. He could sense the restlessness coming from the different people packed into the main hall. He didn't want to have to do this, but he was so angry at the two of them, and so embarrassed at the way they had played him for a fool that he couldn't see no other option that to out them.

"Adrienne," he called over to her. "I'm going to let you decide. Who do you think is best to sing my song?"

"Billie, please---don't---" her choked plea was barely audible. "Can't we just sort this out in private?"

Billie then felt a strong hand on his shoulder, then Mike's voice whispered in his ear. "Adrienne's right Beej---let's just leave it and we'll sort it out together."

"I don't think any of you understand do you?" Billie shrugged Mike off. "I don't think you really comprehend how much I actually don't want to do this. But you've really left me no choice." He directed his attention back to Adrienne. "You know how much I care for you Adie. I've told you more than enough times. But none of that matters now does it---not now you've got him."

"Got who for fucks sake? Get on with it Armstrong!" a random voice called from the back of the hall.

"Ok then ladies and gentlemen---enough of the game. Let me introduce to you, our new guest singer."

Tears streamed down Adrienne's face as Billie lifted his hand in gesture. Mike noticed his movement and felt as though he would just be sick.

"No," he whispered as Billie moved his hand out to him.

"Michael Pritchard," his tone was cutting and harsh, "would you care to do the honours?"