The Road to Acceptance

Chapter Eleven

Mike felt the nausea rise up from his stomach and settle in a cold lump in his throat. The confused murmurs of the crowd boomed in his ears as he froze, unsure of what to do next.

Mike's silence angered Billie. "Tell them Michael, exactly what you and your sister have been doing."

"We---I---we---" his words were lodged in his throat.

"Cat got your tongue?" Billie sneered, still talking through the mic. "Alright then, seeing as you won't bite the bullet, we'll let Adrienne explain what's been happening."

He directed his attention back over to Adrienne who still had tears furiously streaming down her cheeks as everyone stared at her as they waited for an explanation.

"Adie---baby---would you like to tell all of our school friends exactly what you and your brother have been doing?"

She shook her head.

"Well let me do the honours seeing as you're both chicken shit."

"Don't do it Billie," a new voice piped up.

"What the fuck does this have to do with you Tre?!" Billie snapped at his drummer. "The pair of them have broken my heart---"

"I'm just trying to save us all a lot of trouble."

"Fuck trouble, I don't give a shit. I'm not the one in the wrong. I'm not the one having sexual relations with my own flesh and blood---"

Adrienne sobbed. Mike sweat. Billie glared.

Gasps of realisation reverberated around the hall as people understood what Billie had revealed.

"You're kidding right? Adrienne and Mike have been fucking?"

"But they're brother and sister, isn't that like---a crime?"

"Are they fucking sick in the head or something?!"

The questions rang in Adrienne's head like thunder, her peers' stares burned her like a fire in winter. Unable to withstand all the pressure she turned and ran from the hall.

Mike immediately jumped from the stage to follow her out.

"There we go ladies and gentlemen, that there is your proof---Mike and Adrienne have been in a relationship right under our noses," Billie continued to address the audience, who were in a state of shock.

Tre sat with his head in his hands behind his kit, knowing all too well that Billie had just opened the biggest can of worms.

"You can both run from this, but you can't hide. You've both committed a crime and now everyone knows about your seedy affair, and you will both as sure as hell pay for the way you've deceived everyone---" Billie shouted down the mic, making sure that Adrienne and Mike would hear him outside of the hall. "Believe me---you will both pay ."