The Road to Acceptance

Chapter Two

"You were out of bed pretty late last night Michael Ryan Pritchard," Sheryl, Mike's mother, observed the next morning round the breakfast table.

Mike threw Adrienne a sideways glance and tried to ignore the smile on her face.

"I hope you weren't smoking pot out of the bathroom window again," Sheryl carried on.

"No mom, I smoke it in my room now."

"Michael! It's not even funny to joke about it!"

"Yeah Mike," Adrienne snorted laughter.

"Keep out of it you." He punched her playfully in the arm.

"MOM! Did you see Mike just hit me?!"

"For God's sake Michael, you're nearly nineteen years old. Isn't it time you grew up?!"

Mike sat open mouthed as Adrienne looked on laughing.

"And you Adrienne Ilene are just as bad. Stop winding Michael up so he wouldn't have to hit you."

Her laughter ceased immediately and she hung her head, pretending to be sorry. She glanced at Mike through her hair and grinned at him. They both knew what they were doing; acting like any other normal siblings would so no one was none the wiser about their relationship

"Shape yourselves you two, Billie Joe is here," Sheryl told them, making them both jump up from the table and grab their school bags.

Although the pair of them were nearly nineteen, both Mike and Billie Joe had decided to take their final year of High School again seeing as they both failed miserably the first time around. Mike didn't care though, he got to be around Adrienne.

They both kissed their mother goodbye and then headed out to Billie's car. Pulling back the front seat, Mike allowed Adrienne to climb in the back; discreetly pinching her ass as she did so. She winked at him seductively as she sat back and fastened herself in.

"Morning ladies," Billie said, cigarette hanging from his mouth as he pulled out of the drive way.

"Morning," Adrienne replied, leaning forwards and taking the cigarette from him and taking a deep drag herself.

"Hey! Mike! Control your sister."

"Believe me I've been trying for the last sixteen years. I've given it up as a lost cause." Mike then made the cigarette his own and then threw the last bit out of the window.

"HEY! That was my last one!"

"They'll only give you cancer anyway Beej," Mike told him as nonchalantly as possible as Billie glared at him angrily.

"Remind me to make both of you walk to school from now on. You fuckers."

Adrienne giggled, tickling the back of Billie's neck through the head rest. "You don't mean that BJ. You love us too much."

Billie snorted and ignored them as he drove.

They arrived at the school not five minutes later, where Adrienne left Mike and Billie Joe to go meet her other friends.

"See you at lunch," she called, never turning back towards them as she walked away.

Mike and Billie stared after her for a few seconds before they both realised what they were doing and blushed deeply.

"Sorry dude," Billie said, rubbing the back of his neck. "I still think she's hot you know."

Mike felt his stomach lurch, he felt that Adrienne would finish with him in a second if she knew Billie still liked her. After all, being with Billie wouldn't be a crime.

"Well---uhh---I don't know what to say to that man," he stuttered at him. "I mean, you upset her pretty bad at Valentines. She's only just started talking to you again hasn't she?"

The bell rang, interrupting their conversation; so the two boys sauntered over to where registration was held.

"Yeah, I know I upset her, and I've apologised for it, surely she knows I'd never hurt her."

"I already think you have."

"Shit Mike don't say that! I really do like her."

"Well what're you telling me for? Why not tell her that?"

"Coz she won't listen to me. Can't you talk to her for me."

Mikes heart pounded furiously. If he refused to help Billie then it'd look suspicious. But if he accepted and told Adrienne, then it looked like it was all over for the two of them before it even began.

"I---uhh---I---don't know. Let me think about it."

"What's there to think about? I'm your best friend?!"

"And she's my sister. I don't like seeing her upset."

Billie grabbed Mike by the shoulders and stared hard into his eyes. "Michael Ryan Pritchard, this is the one thing I'm only ever going to ask you to do. One thing. Please, please talk to Adrienne for me. If you do---I'll owe you big style, I'll do anything you want me to!"

Mike could see that Billie wasn't going to stop whining any time soon so shrugged his shoulders in defeat.

"You are the greatest friend a guy could have!" Billie exclaimed, planting a wet kiss on his lips.

Mike groaned in disgust and wiped his mouth. "You do that again and Adie will never go out with you!"

Billie laughed and practically skipped into school, leaving Mike shuffling solemnly behind him.

Adrienne practically threw her diner tray down on the table next to Billie and Mike. It had not been a good morning for her.

"What's up with you?" Billie asked, amidst a mouthful of fries.

"Math is what's up with me. Fucking Mr Carter, yelled at me coz I couldn't do some simultaneous equation---the ass."

Mike wrapped his arm around Adrienne's shoulders, smiling inwardly when he felt her shiver at his touch. "Never mind sis, I'll help you out with it tonight."

Adrienne shrugged off his arm, resting her head in her arms on the table. "I hate school. I can't wait to leave!"

"Mike might have some news that'll cheer you up Adrienne---" Billie began, heavily nodding at Mike to follow his lead.

"What news?" she said from her arms.

"I---uhh---I better tell you outside---"

Billie grinned broadly at him as Mike gently lead Adrienne from the table. 'Thank you,' he mouthed as they headed outside.

Once out of the way from everyone, Adrienne wasted no time in planting a deep kiss on Mike's lips. He pulled away, startled, she had never shown him this kind of affection at school.

"Adrienne, don’t do that! Someone could see us!"

"Right now I don't care---" She went to kiss him again, but he instead diverted her so they fell into an embrace instead. "What's your problem Mike?"

"In case you didn't realise, we're not at home! People could see us and start spreading shit round. I don't want you to get hurt that's all---"

She shrugged half heartedly. "So what's this news?"

"It's Billie---"

"What about him?"

"He wants me to tell you that he still likes you---"

She was surprised with the way her heart flipped when Mike said this, but Mike's solemn look brought her back to focus again.

"Well what am I supposed to do with that?"

"I dunno---he wants to know if you'd be willing to give him another chance---"

"And how do you feel?"

"This is nothing to do with me! This is you and your feelings---if you like Billie, then go ahead. I can't stop you from seeing him."

"Do you want me to see him?"

Mike sighed heavily. This made Adrienne smile and she wrapped her arms around his waist. "Why would I want Billie when I have someone like you?"

She looked up and saw a tiny grin grace his features.

"Jealousy brings out the best in you big brother," she giggled as she reached up to kiss his cheek. Mike surprised her by moving his head so she kissed his lips. "I thought you didn't want me to do that---"

"To hell with it---I can't wait until we get home."

He took her hand and lead her back inside school, down the corridors to the boys' locker room.

"I can't go in there!" Adrienne hissed as he pushed open the door.

"The jocks are out till the end of lunch. We'll just have to be really, really quiet---"

He held out his hand, nodding in reassurance. She gingerly took it, smiling as he kissed it and lead her inside and into one of the changing cubicles.

"Whatever you say big brother---"

"Oh I love it when you talk dirty."