The Road to Acceptance

Chapter Three

"So did you talk to her?

"Jees Bill, I've only been in the house five minutes. Give me a break will you?"

"I know Mike, but its been going round in my head all day. "

Mike exhaled deeply, but not out of stress towards Billie Joe but because Adrienne had taken it upon herself to grind her hips into Mike's whilst kissing his neck. He took hold of her chin with his free hand and made her look at him; he shook his head in no, warding off her sexual advances. She giggled quietly then bit his neck in reply, which made him groan audibly.

"Mike, buddy, are you ok?" Billie sounded genuinely concerned at the strange noises coming from his friend.

"Yeah I'm fine. Just tired." Mike's tone was more breathless than he liked. He was almost glad when Adrienne stepped away from him, but felt his heart race in excitement again when she peeled off her dress. He frantically gestured at the phone, indicating he couldn't follow suit.

She sighed emphatically and grabbed the phone from Mike.

"Billie Joe Armstrong, at nearly nineteen years old you should be able to ask a girl out by yourself. But seeing as you're too much of a pussy I'll save you and my brother a lot of time. I'm free Friday. Pick me up at seven and we'll go bowling."

And as quickly as she had taken the call, she ended it, almost slamming the receiver down and then standing to stare at Mike with her hands on her hips.

"Now can we go fuck?" she half laughed, half begged.

"You're going on a date with Billie?" Mike sounded hurt.

"No. I'm going out with Billie. Nowhere in there did I mention anything to do with a date. It may be a date to him, but its not to me."

She took Mike by the arm and dragged him out of the kitchen.

"But you two are going alone---that means its date---"

Adrienne sighed heavily as she undressed Mike herself, something which she never usually had to do.

"Like I said, for me its just two friends going bowling. Nothing's going to happen---I'll make sure of it."

Sadness swam in Mike's eyes as she gently stroked his cheek.

"Promise?" he whispered.

"Promise---now come the fuck on and do me. Mom will be in from work soon and I need to do some screaming to make up for how quiet we were this afternoon."

Mike grinned and pushed her back onto his bed with force. "You do have a way with words Adrienne Ilene Pritchard---"

Friday rolled round and Mike was surprised how anxious he felt at the thought of Billie Joe and Adrienne going out alone together.

"It's not a date," she insisted as he perched at the end of her bed, watching her get ready and staring at her pleadingly. "And will you stop giving me those puppy dog eyes. I'm going whether you like it or not."

"But he likes you Adie. I know he's going to try something!"

"Well whether he likes me or not, I'm not going to take it any further than being friends. If he tries something then its all the more reason for me to stay friends with him."

She went and sat on the edge of the bed and rubbed Mike's shoulders sympathetically.

"Trust me," she whispered in his ear. "I love you, not Billie."

He exhaled deeply and nodded, feeling guilty for doubting Adrienne. "I love you," he called after her as she kissed his cheek and went downstairs to wait for Billie.

As he heard her exit the house, his cell phone message tone rang. Wait up for me ;)< Adrienne had wrote. A smile crept on his face.

"She is one of a kind," he said aloud as he grinned again at the wink she had put at the end of the message.

A short while later, Adrienne found herself in the girls' bathroom at the bowling alley, loudly cursing about every man on the planet.

"Why can't I be a lesbian?" she pleaded with herself in the mirror. "I won't have to like neither Mike nor Billie that way!"

She had known as soon as she climbed into Billie's car and seen him in his leather jacket, that she was headed for trouble that night. And having him hold her close as he showed her how to bowl properly only made the feeling grow stronger. As she felt his breath tickle the back of her neck she had to fight to keep her knees from giving way. But it was as he fixed his emerald gaze on her as she hit a strike, that she had to excuse herself to go to the bathroom.

"This can't be happening again! Not now!" She kicked a toilet door hard, in frustration.

"Ahem---"

Adrienne was stopped her ranting to look round and se a mother stood in the toilet entrance with a small child. She apologised then pushed past the woman to go back to Billie, having to take deep breaths to slow down her furiously beating heart.

Time flew that night for Adrienne, and before she knew it, Billie was dropping her back off outside her house. She smiled discreetly as he climbed out of the car and walked round to open her door. As she climbed out, she cast a glance up at Mike's bedroom window, the light was on but his curtains were drawn. Whatever Billie was about to do, she knew Mike wouldn't be able to see.

"So I've had a good time tonight," Billie said, bringing her stare back to him.

"Yeah, me too." She stood leaning up against the side of her car, each of Billie's hands rested on the car beside her arms. There was barely an inch between their bodies.

"You know I still like you Adie don't you?"

She drew a sharp intake of breath as he traced his hands down her arms an slid them round her waist, stepping further into her space.

"Yeah I kinda guessed," she laughed and turned her head so she wasn't captured by that magic stare of his.

"Now would be a good time to tell me how you feel---" His breath tickled the side of her neck, causing her to shiver involuntarily.

"I---I--don't know---" She forced herself to look at his face. "You hurt me bad last time Billie Joe."

"I know and I'm sorry. I promise you that I've changed---"

She saw him lean in to kiss her but moved so his lips hit her cheek.

"I'm sorry Billie---I need to think about this."

He nodded and stepped back, allowing her to go into the house. But not before he took hold of her hand and kissed it gently, causing her to smile.

"Goodnight Beej."

"Night Adie."

On entering the house, she collapsed on the bottom stair with her head in her hands. She thought the butterflies for Billie Joe had long since disappeared. But as the sensation of his breath still tickled at her neck, they raged more wild than ever.

"Adie---" Mike's voice sounded from the top of the stairs,, making her jump. "Are you ok?"

She forced herself to smile then made her way up to Mike. "I'm fine now I'm back with you."

Mike looked at her sceptically but wrapped an arm round her waist as she met him at the top and kissed her softly. "You sure?"

"Of course I am." She returned the kiss with gratitude. "Are mom and dad still out?"

A devilish grin graced Mike's features. "They won't be back till morning."

"Well that's good for us then isn't it." Adrienne's grin matched Mike's.

As Mike's hands and lips caressed her skin a short while later, all thoughts and feelings for Billie had been blown out of the way. When she dug her nails into Mike's back in ecstasy, she cursed herself for thinking that it was Billie who she really wanted.