‹ Prequel: So Kiss Me Goodbye

You and Me, Forever Young

Chapter 28

It's really hard convincing your best friend's sisters to leave so you could plan uninterrupted with everyone else, but just mentioning the term free samples and saying there was an unmarried doctor outside sent them running toward the doors (which would have been very funny had the situation not been tense).

Shelby only had to speak up before my mind began planning, plotting.

And that was where Spencer came in.

"Lilly?" He asked with a tone of surprise.

"Spence," I murmured softly, hoping not to give anything away. "We've got a small problem."

"Oh crap what?" He asked in a panic.

"No, no it's not that, Shelby's still here but... well we're hoping for a change in, er, venue?"

"Lilly, you're making absolutely no sense." Spencer muttered irritated.

I sighed. "I'll explain when you get down here Spence, just don't forget to bring Ryan with you. See you in three."

With that I hung up, knowing he'd be down here soon enough.

And it needed to be soon as I glanced over at Shelby, curled up in the fetal position in her wedding dress.

Sure enough four and a half minutes later there came a knock on the dressing room door.

Spencer breezed in, obviously wanting more explanation, while William followed him and quickly pulled me into his arms.

I would've glowed under his fiery gaze as his eyes hungrily swept over my dress, that look being more than any compliment could hope for, but the situation was far too tense.

Brendon and Pete followed after them, tugging Ryan behind them as he held his hands securely over his eyes.

"So what is this about? Shelby?" Ryan asked as I suppressed a laugh at him looking around in confusion with his hands still covering his eyes.

"Ryan I can't do this." Shelby murmured from where she was curled up.

Hearing her voice was like a wake up call, drawing Ryan out of whatever superstition he was in.

I think we were beyond the bad luck, and just proceeded to seeing the bride before the wedding, hoping all went well with my plans.

If it weren't for the warm arms around me reminding me I was loved I would've been jealous of the look they exchanged as Ryan sat down on the floor next to Shelby like their expensive clothes meant nothing.

They talked in whispers with red eyes as Shelby explained to Ryan in a way I knew she could never talk to us.

While they talked I drew everyone into a huddle, my mind already coming up with the perfect plan.

"We need to figure this all out." Natalie said before anyone else could talk.

I nodded. "We need cell phones and lap tops out now."

They all nodded conspiratorially and went off in different directions for a moment.

By the time they came back we were joined by Ryan and Shelby.

"Do you guys have any ideas?" Will asked.

Ryan nodded. "We leave."

Jamie sighed. "Honey, we've all got that idea, but there are other variables. We need escape vehicles, means to get out, not to mention we have to subdue the hundred odd guests you have in the other room."

He sighed and nodded. "Well we've got a lot of planning then huh?"

Pete, who I had forgotten was there with his out of character quietness, spoke up.

"You guys still want to get married right?" He asked.

He was answered with both of their nods.

"Okay then, now we're getting somewhere. Do you want to get married, say, within the next twenty-four hours?" Pete asked.

I caught onto where he was going with this and added to it.

"Do you want to do it low key, just you two?"

This time they paused, but then nodded.

Both Pete and I turned to each other grinning evilly.

"Get the lap top, we've got to get a flight out of here ASAP, then we need to call a cab-"

"And someone needs to get their bags, book a hotel room-"

I finished for Pete.

"And someone has to break the news to the guests."

From outside our little bubble of plotting I heard Ryan turn to Will.

"They're a little scary like this. Remind me never to let them plan ever again."

Still, we ignored them and began assigning jobs between bridesmaids and groomsmen.

I grimaced to myself at getting assigned the job of breaking the news to the guests, but Will squeezed my hand reassuringly.

Everyone else got computer or phone jobs, sending the room into a silence only broken by voices on phones, the tapping of keys, and Ryan softly murmuring to Shelby from the embrace of his arms.

Ten minutes later everything had been planned and we were smuggling thehappy couple out of the church.

"Now don't worry about anything." I consoled Shelby, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"We'll take care of anything, just go get married and be happy." Brendon insisted, pushing the rest of Shelby's fluffy wedding dress into the cab.

In response they all kissed us goodbye, murmuring thanks and offers of first born children to make this up to us as they shut the door.

As the car drove away we all held each other and waved goodbye, sighing when they turned the corner.

"Man... now we have to go deal with them." Pete sighed.

We moaned to ourselves and trudged back inside.

Our good deed had been done, but now we got to deal with the consequences and the angry people.

And there weren't enough plastic surgeons in their speed dial to make them pretty after what we were about to tell them.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wasn't going to post but... things came up, I can't bear to confide in anyone and... well I turn to my readers who I love more than anything and always seem to cheer me up even when things look their worst.
So tonight I went to the movies with my best friend (the crush) and looking at it from the outside we had lots of fun, mostly because he has a car and we drove around a bit (went to Starbucks and Party City where he got me some awesome ice cream cone glasses).
But inside our bubble, mine in particular, I was hurting terribly, to the point where I wasn't sure what to feel, what to do, or whether I could breathe freely any time soon (nor could I kick his ass at air hockey).
He has a girlfriend.
My best friend, my crush, the boy I've known since seventh grade has a girlfriend and I only find out after I spilled my feelings to him and he tells me in passing about going to surprise her at her job tomorrow.
It took every bit of energy I had to keep my cool and pretend everything was fine, and only now am I letting the tears fall.
Because I've been fearing this for so long and I knew quite well with just the thought of him having a girlfriend would hurt.
I used to be his best friend, then I had to share him with his guy best friend (who I still secretly hate), and now I'm bumped down to third, no longer even the special girl in his life because he has a girlfriend for that... and now I have no chance whatsoever.
I keep trying to find something musically, or literary, that'll help me forget this, or help this hole in my chest heal, but nothing, nothing, nothing works, it only makes me feel worse because it all reminds me of him.
My mom tried to cheer me up a little by reminding me he chose to spend Friday with me... but she fails to take in account this is the first time we've hung out since July and any other time since then it's been in the middle of class or when I had to share him in the lobby after his show.
Every other time he has plans with these mysterious other friends that even then make me feel bad cause I'm always second best next to them in every way.
Of course on top of this I'm scared for him because... technically we broke the law tonight by backing out and... kind of scraping a car, legally hit and run, and that a guy next to us saw.
He's not worried but I am, not just because of my paranoia, but because it's a legitimate fear since he's still my best friend and I love and care for him, so naturally I worry about him.
Plus I get to feel stupid with a bunch of rich private school kids tomorrow in math at my SAT Prep class, no choice not to go or not participate because my mom is friends with the teacher and I am wholly alone in that class.
This sudden unhinging at least has one good thing since it's perfect timing with a similar mood in the story I'm writing, meaning it'll be legitimate emotion in there.
But still, if you know anyway to make me feel better, or just have some kind words, I would sincerely appreciate it, because I need them now more than ever.