When Your Hope Is Gone... Just Hold On.

Chapter 15

"I said get the fuck up! Are you deaf?!" She yelled.
"I will be because of your loud mouth." I snapped.
"Thats bold words to be saying to someone with a gun." She spat.
"Annamolly, just do what she says." He whispered roughly into my ear.
I rolled my eyes in protest of having to follow this strangers orders.
"Who are you?!" She yelled when we were standing.
"I'm Annamolly, you might know him, but this is Joe." I said. "Whats yours?" I asked as she kept the barrel pointed at us.
"Venitia." She said.
"Ah, Italian for Mercy." I answered.
"Too bad I don't have any for you." She retorted. "Are there others?" She asked.
"Yes." Joe replied.
"How many?" She asked never letting the gun fall.
"Seven." He answered.
"Lead me to them." She said and Joe grabbed onto my upper arm to lead me.

I wasn't willing to be pushed around by someone whether they had a gun or not. At this rate we we're doing her a favor by helping her. At least thats how I saw it. Maybe company even if she was alone. We reached our group and some were sleeping. She looked around and the look on her face wasn't promising. She looked at the locked doors that were now barricaded as zombies tried to get them open. She growled real low, but it was loud enough for me to hear.

"What the hell is the matter with all of you?" She growled.
"Excuse me!?" I exclaimed.
"Why would you lead them here?! Probably one of the many few places safe now is a death trap." She spoke angrily.
"Its not like we planned for them to." I retorted.
"Yeah. You didn't plan or think at all." She said in response.
"Why are you taking all this out on us?" I asked.
"Everything was perfectly fine here until you all showed up. Now look at it out there. Its the kind of people like you who run around like a chicken with its head cut off thinking that just because you have a gun that it will save you." She replied.
"We made it this far alive." I spoke.
"Yeah? How many have died?" She spoke harshly and my mouth shut.
When I didn't speak she laughed a bit. "Thats what I figured." She said.
"Is anyone here with you?" Linzi asked.
"No. Its just me. There we're others but they did what you all just did. Tried to find other survivors. Not the smartest seeing as in now they are all dead and zombies along with the rest. By the way she responded" She said pointing to me "I'm sure you have experienced the same thing twice or more."

I kept my eyes to the ground. I was trying not to think of all the people who died. For whatever reason I felt part of the blame. I didn't understand it. I guess it was because I felt I didn't do enough or fight enough to stop it.
"Look, Why don't you join us? The more people the better. It can keep us alive another night." I suggested.
"Ha! I do better on my own. More chaotic with more people." She replied.
"At least think about it. You can't kick us out!" I was about to beg.
I watched as she pondered. "Fine. I'll think about it. Stay here the night." She said and walked down back the way we came.
Everyone let out a breath of relief. Joe sat by me when I chose a place to sit. My head rested on his shoulder as I found myself drifting to sleep.

Kevin's POV:
I watched Alexis's sleeping form in my arms. I moved the stray hair out of her face. She passed out as soon as we got here. I knew she hadn't been getting much sleep since the shock of being attack when I found her. She seemed to be doing better though. I looked over at Joe and Annamolly and saw they had fallen asleep along with everyone else. nick came over and sat beside me.
"She alright?" He asked referring to Alexis and I nodded.
"How are we going to get out of here?" Nick asked.
"I have no idea. There has to be something we can do to get out of this mall." I replied.
"Even if we got out of the mall, we have no idea how many are in the streets, we'd never survive out there." He said.
I sighed and looked back down at Alexis. I knew I had to do whatever I could to protect her. I felt the need to protect her. I have to protect her. I need to protect her. I didn't understand how Joe could have fallen so fast and had that need to protect Annamolly until now. I was understanding better what he felt. The feeling of doing everything in your own power to keep the person you care for safe. I may not be in love with Alexis, but I'll still do whatever is necessary to protect her.
"We're going to get out of here Nick. All of us..."