Fake It Like You Matter

Five

Shit. SHIT!!!

I hit the down button on the elevator, but heard the quick footsteps behind me.

"Love," He said, "Love, I'm sorry..."

I knew I should have taken the stairs. I though as I sighed and turned to him.

"Hi," He smiled sheepishly.

My stomach responded with a flip flop.

No, he wasn't allowed to give me butterflies. God, he was cute. Why was he an asshole, again? Right... He blew me off. Asshole.

"Hi?" I asked then turned to hit the down button again, "Screw you."

"I'm sorry," He tried, "Please Love, let me explain..."

"Why should I?" I crossed my arms, acting angry, and definitely not thinking about him without a shirt on.

"Because you like me?" He mumbled, and when I glanced over at him, he stuffed his hands into his pockets and took particular interest in the marble flooring, "Just give me five minutes? Please. Let me explain myself."

I heard Dr. Adams words again in my head, reminding me I had homework. Well, Pete was definitely someone I would not normally be talking to right now. Maybe just five minutes?
The elevator doors slid open but neither of us moved. They slid shut again.

"Fine."

"Really?" He looked up from the floor.

I sighed again, waiting for an explanation.

"I didn't mean to leave you hanging like that." He began slowly, "I forgot I had an early band practice that day and my cell died before I could reach you."

"You had three weeks to make it better."

"And all I can really say is that I'm sorry," He shrugged, "I should have called you and apologized or something, but I was scared you would be really upset, so I didn't call because I... Well... I guess I was kind of a douche."

"Kind of," I nodded.

He mustered up a bit of courage and kept going, "It just sort of snowballed. I've been kicking myself because I really did... I really do want to hang out with you. It was wrong not to at least text you."

I just stood there for a minute then frowned, "It was really mean too. You shouldn't be mean to girls like that. Especially when they don't deserve it."

"Can I make it up to you?" He wondered, "I know why should you trust me, but I just need a second chance. You wont regret it. I promise, Love."

Another minute passed and I hit the down button again, this time the doors slipped open right away. I saw Pete frown as I walked on.

"Pete?" I said and he looked up hopefully. I shrugged slowly, "Call me."

He cast his unbelievable smile in my direction.

Cue the butterflies.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"Hello?" I picked up my cell phone, a few hours later in my bedroom.

"Love?"

"Yes?"

"It's Pete," He chuckled, "I told you I'd call this time."

"You also told me you would meet me at the park," I reminded him, then paused, "I mean, thank you for calling."

"You're welcome," He laughed, "So, what are you up to?"

"Nothing, I guess. I was just writing," I replied getting nervous, and beginning to pace around my room, "What are you doing?"

"Studying."

"But it's summer," I realized.

"Yes, it is. And summer semesters are getting me out of collage early. One more semester and I'll be done," He yawned, "but two more tests and I'm done until September."

"I'm kind of impressed." I wandered aimlessly towards the window.

"Impressed enough to hang out with me sometime?" He asked, "Like, maybe Wednesday?"

"Wednesday..." I sighed then smiled to myself, leaning against my window sill, "I work until seven, but after that I'm free."

"Yeah?"

"Yeah."

"Can I pick you up at Starbucks?" He asked, "I live in Wilmette, so that might be a bit of a skateboard for you."

"Yeah, my legs might fall off." I giggled, "But I could drive out to you..."

"Whatever you like."

"I'll drive," I decided, and sat down on my bed.

"So," He asked after a momentary silence, "What were you writing?"

"I um... Just a song," I confessed, "I write songs."

"I write songs too," He said, "You play the guitar, right?"

"Yeah, and the piano," I tried to keep the conversation going, "Do you play anything?"

"Yeah, I play bass and piano, too..."

"Oh, neat," I cringed at myself. Neat?

I seriously sucked on the phone.

"Yeah. So, um...I should probably get back to studying," He admitted, "My big history test is tomorrow morning, and I was trying to do some last minute review, but I couldn't get you off my mind..."

"Okay, stop it," I was blushing so bad now. Why was I letting him get to me?

"Alright, alright," He said, "I guess I should let you go, though."

"Sure. I'll see you Wednesday."

"Neat," I could practically hear his smirk through the phone, "See ya, Love."

I tossed the phone at a pile of clothes and threw myself face down into my pillow.

I was such a spaz.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was in a weird mood when I wrote this chapter.
Good times.
I am SO full of cookie dough! Ughhhh.
Comments? *pouts*