Fake It Like You Matter

Eight

"Wait, Love..." Jessa stopped me on Friday morning, "Did you say Fall Out Boy?"

I nodded, "Yeah, he said they got the name at one of their first shows. They asked the crowd what they should call the band and someone yelled out 'Fall Out Boy', from that episode of the Simpsons. Apparently they already have a real CD out."

"I know," She was looking at me incredulously, "Pete is Pete from Fall Out Boy? I can't believe I didn't recognize him when he came in. Well, I guess I haven't been to a show in a while, but Love, he's huge. I mean his band is."

"Why didn't I know this?" I wondered leaning against the counter, in thought.

"Well, their videos don't exactly get played on MTV..." She responded smirking.

"Maybe I should google them or something." I thought out loud.

"Do you remember the band I snuck you in to see at Moes?" She reminded me, "That would have been them. Except when they sucked."

"Oh," was all I said. I guess that explained why he looked kind of familiar.

"You have a date tonight with a local celebrity and all you can say is 'oh'?" She looked at me like I was crazy, "More than just a local celebrity, Love. A lot of people know who he is. He's kind of a big deal."

I shrugged, "I guess...?"

"Wait, why is a celebrity going to see a shrink?" She paused after a little rush of people, "Actually, do you really think its a good idea to go out with anyone that you met in therapy?"

"Dude," I frowned, "I'm in therapy."

"Okay, not what I meant," Jessa rolled her darkly lined brown eyes, "But do you know he's not psychotic or something?"

"Yeah, I do," I stopped her and said seriously, "He's a really nice guy. I like him a lot."

She crossed her arms but smiled, "So then he actually is kind of a big deal for you. I mean, you never date. You barely even talk about guys."

"And I think I'm done talking about this right now." I decided and she pouted.

"But Love!" She whined, trying to annoy me into talking, but I ignored her and got back to work.

"Have fun tonight," She giggled as I left that day, "I want to hear every detail on Monday morning!"

I waved and skated off, this time absolutely loving the summer sun on my freckle filled cheeks.

The house was all mine for at least one more week. Since my dad had taken some time off to go to L.A. with Diana, I was taking full advantage of their absence.

I took showers at three in the morning, watched movies with the volume as loud as I wanted, and the previous Saturday morning I had climbed onto the roof with my electric guitar to serenade the whole neighborhood with Welcome to Paradise at 6am.

Today however, I just took a nap, then got ready for my date.

I didn't get dressed up all fancy, I just wore my favourite jeans, and a very comfortable tank top, leaving my hair curling softly down my back.

I saw headlights pull up in front of my house a few minutes after 7:30 and grabbed some cash, keys and lip chap, stuffing it in my pocket and I was almost to the door with a hoody in hand when Pete knocked.

"Hey," I smiled opening the door.

"Hi." He almost looked a little nervous, as I followed him out to his moms car. "Hows it going?"

"Not bad. How are you?" I asked as we got in and I buckled my seatbelt.

"Better now."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes, and instead asked what the plans were for the night.

"Uh... First dinner at that Italian place by the old movie theater, and then... The House of Blues for the show." He informed me.

"The House of Blues?" I turned to him as I remembered who was playing there that night, my eyes wide and I breathed, "Dashboard?"

He nodded and laughed, "Yeah, a friend hooked me up and put me on the guest list, plus one. But, you know, if you aren't interested, we could always just find something else to do. I heard the bowling alley across from your park gives out coupons for a free lap dance at the strip joint next door if you break 100..."

"Dang, 100?" I shook my head, pulling a face, "That'll make you throw gutter balls on purpose."

"True that." He laughed again, "So, I take it you are up for the show?"

"I'm just letting you know, I sort of want to smack you right now for even asking," I warned, then glanced over at him, "... And maybe hug you a little bit too."

"I think I'm okay with that," Pete admitted.

Dinner with Pete was great. We talked non stop like we'd done at his house 2 nights earlier, and after an hour we were still sitting at the table.

"Is it too soon to ask you when you're free again?" He wondered as I finished my lasagna, "Because I really like being around you."

"It's probably too soon," I blushed at him, "But I like spending time with you, too..."

Yeah, so if we were in high school we'd be like, practically married already.

"When can I see you next?" He wanted to know.

"I have the whole weekend off," I said, "And this time I have the house to myself, so you could keep me company for a little while, if you aren't booked..."

He sat back pushing his plate away, "When you put it like that, how could I say no?"

"I guess you cant."

Pete paid for dinner, despite my protests, and on the way to the show we both got a little quieter than we usually were around each other.

He parked a few blocks away and as we walked towards the House of Blues, I let my hand graze his, ever so subtly.

He looked over at me then looked away all shy.

"Hey, Pete?" I asked quietly after a block or so, "How many times am I going to have to do that before you hold my hand?"

A big smile broke across his face and he slid his hand into mine.

I was experiencing more than just butterflies. I was really more concerned that I just might explode at any moment. I had no idea it could feel that amazing just to have him touching my hand. I also couldn't help but notice how nicely our hands fit together, and when I realized how lame I was being, I kind of wanted to gag.
♠ ♠ ♠
*gag*

haha