Food Poisoning

Food Poisoning [STANDALONE]

Ryan took his usual seat at the back of the classroom right in the corner. Following shortly behind him was his best friend, Brendon Urie, who sat at the desk to the right of the older boy.
The bell rang and Mrs. Caner got to work teaching the boys and their fellow classmates something to do with Biology. Brendon picked up his pen and proceeded to make notes on the teacher’s babbling about the male and female productive systems.
Occasionally Brendon would steal glances at the older boy, sniggering quietly. Ryan would send a friendly smile back to him and continue to take notes.

It was getting on to at least half way through the lesson when Ryan felt a sickly sensation in his stomach. He shook it off just thinking it was his mind playing him up. He looked up at the screen and watched as Caner pointed to the ovaries on the picture of the female organs, talking on about how ‘these release eggs’ or something like that. He continued to take the notes he was supposed to but he couldn’t shake off the sick feeling in his stomach, which was steadily getting worse. The room was getting hotter and hotter by the minute and Ryan felt like he was suffocating. He looked over at Brendon to see if he could get his attention; the younger was too busy writing notes to notice how Ryan looked.
Ryan shakily raised his hand. The teacher huffed annoyingly,
“Yes Mr. Ross?” She prompted.
“Um, can I… er go to the nurse? I don’t feel well.” He asked her, praying silently she’d let him; he was boiling now. He heard snickers from the other people in the class, maybe they were laughing at him because the time he put his hand up corresponded with the fact there was a picture of a naked woman on the screen. Everyone knew of Ryan’s orientation.
Caner huffed again,
“I suppose so, hurry up and get back as soon as you can.” She snapped and went back to pointing at the screen.
“Thanks.” He mumbled and got up quickly. He gave Brendon a glance who returned it with a worried look. He rushed out of the room. He didn’t want to really go to the nurse, he never liked her; so he just stood up against the wall and let his head fall backwards, breathing deeply, wishing the sickness to subside.

Meanwhile, Brendon was giving Mrs. Caner the best sweet boy look he could. He’d just asked her if he could go out and see if Ryan was okay. Caner had always liked Brendon, then again most teachers thought the sun shined out of his ass. She smiled at him and told him to go on. Brendon picked up his pen and walked out of the classroom, depositing his work on the teacher’s desk as he walked by.

He closed the door quietly and scanned the hallway, his eyes landing straight on Ryan. Said boy was leaning against the wall near his locker his head raised, resting against the wall and his eyes were closed. He was breathing so deeply Brendon could hear him from where he was stood, some 7 meters away. He cautiously approached the elder and rested his hand on his shoulder,
“Ryan, you okay?” he asked in concern. Ryan shook his head softly,
“No.” he whispered. Brendon raised his hand and placed the back of it on Ryan’s forehead.
“Jesus Ry, you’re burning up. You want me to take you to the nurse?” Brendon suggested. Ryan didn’t have any time to reply as he pushed Brendon out of the way, winding the boy who fell on the floor a few meters away. The elder then threw up violently; right in the middle of the hallway. Luckily the bell wasn’t due to go for another 25 minutes, or else this may have been more embarrassing for Ryan than it already was.
Brendon, ignoring the pain that was coming from his chest, stood up and made his way over to Ryan, who was doubled over with his hands resting on his knees. He was breathing erratically and staring at the floor, totally embarrassed and willing himself not to burst into tears. Brendon knew Ryan hated puking, if anyone else was sick he had to look away and busy himself or else he’d start to panic and cry. The younger boy placed his hand on Ryan’s back, rubbing softly,
“It’s okay.” He reassured him. He received no reply from the elder.
Ryan heaved forward again and retched, his body wanting to rid it of the nasty bacteria, but nothing came up. Brendon rubbed his back soothingly,
“Do you want to move? Maybe go to the bathroom or somethin’?” He asked. Ryan nodded, moving to stand up properly. Brendon moved his arm to wrap around the sick boys waist and helped him towards the boys bathrooms, ignoring the grumblings falling from the janitor’s mouth about how he ‘could have been sick somewhere else’.

As the two boys entered the bathroom, Brendon leant against one of the sinks and pulled Ryan to lean against him, his back to Brendon’s chest. The younger put his chin on the other’s shoulder, his hands massaging Ryan’s stomach lightly. Ryan let his head loll back onto his best friend’s shoulder and closed his eyes.
“I’m sorry.” Ryan croaked out.
“It’s okay Ry. Everyone gets sick; fuck the janitor, that’s what he’s there to do. If he doesn’t like it he should get a better job.” Brendon replied, making a joke out of the situation. He made Ryan laugh a little. That’s good right? He wondered.
They stood there for a few more minutes, Brendon continuing to rub soothing circles over Ryan’s stomach, until he felt it give an involuntary jerk,
“Brendon, let go. I’m gonna puke again.” Ryan informed him. Brendon let go straight away and Ryan ran into the stall in front of them, leaning over the toilet. Brendon watched as Ryan’s shoulders heaved forward, but nothing came up again. Brendon wandered over to Ryan again and rubbed his back.
“I fucking hate this.” Ryan said, his voice cracking slightly at the end.
“I know Ryan.” Brendon replied. Kicking the door shut with his foot and kneeling down in the stall when Ryan did.
“I can feel it at the back of my throat.” He whimpered. Brendon’s heart just about shattered in two at that comment. He knew how scared Ryan was at the moment, but there was nothing he could do to help.
Ryan’s shoulders heaved forward again and he retched. Ryan was getting annoyed, and it wasnt helping the fear inside him. No matter how much he hated it, he gave up and stuck his fingers down the back of his throat; making him heave and send bile racing up to his mouth. Tears began making their way down his cheeks, smudging his make up, leaving colored lines down his face. He was gasping for breath between each bout of vomit and sobbing. Brendon felt useless just sat there next to him rubbing his back.
Once Ryan had stopped throwing up again, Brendon leant against the stall wall and pulled Ryan into his chest. The sick boy was grateful for the gesture. Sobs wracked the elder’s body as he cried. Brendon put his chin on the top of his head and lulled him quiet again with soft ‘shhh’s’. Ryan hiccupped softly,
“Do you want me to take you back to my house? See if you can sleep it off? Mom and dad aren’t around, they’re on business trips.” Brendon suggested. Ryan shook his head against the younger boy’s chest, still gripping his shirt.
“No, you don’t need to do that I’ll be fine. It’s probably something I ate at lunch.” He whispered.
“Yes I do.” Brendon said. “You feeling okay for now? Do you think you can make it the 4 blocks to my house?”
“I dunno.” Ryan replied quietly. Fearing if he talked loud enough it could spur on another wave of nausea.
“It’s okay if you don’t. we can stop.” Brendon assured him.
“Alright.” The sick boy agreed and Brendon helped him up.

They got to Brendon’s house some thirty minutes later. It normally took ten to fifteen minutes to walk it, but they had to stop three times for Ryan to puke again. I don’t think Mrs. Patterson will want to weed her flower bed anytime soon.
They entered the house and Ryan was damn near exhausted so Brendon swooped his left arm under Ryan’s legs and carried him up the stairs to his bedroom; lying him down on the bed before going back downstairs to get a bottle of water and a bucket.
“Okay, you know where my bathroom is, but if ya can’t make it there’s a bucket there.” Brendon offered, shooting a grin at Ryan. Ryan returned it with a small smile.
“Anything ya need, just holler. Try to sleep, it’ll help.” Brendon smiled and turned to exit the room.
“Brendon.” Ryan called out. The boy being addressed turned around.
“Yeah?”
“Stay with me. Please.” Ryan asked in a small voice like a child.
“Of course.” Brendon replied, getting onto the bed, pulling Ryan against his chest so his back was on it. Brendon placed a small, soft kiss on Ryan’s temple before closing his eyes and waited for the other boy’s breathing to regulate, signalling he was asleep; before drifting off himself.