You Love to Hate Me

Even With His Flaws

A couple of weeks had passed since that dreadful incident with Frank. I hate to admit it, but it would be a lie to say I hadn’t thought that much about him since then.

Well,how could I not have, when I had people asking me (not so nicely) what happened to my face? Every time I saw a mirror or reflective surface the only thing in my mind was "damn you, Frank Iero."

Well, being a girl and not wanting a crooked nose all my life, (that’s not THAT vain, is it?) I had requested to come back a few weeks after my “accident” so they could check up on how it was healing.

As the automatic door to the hospital opened and the horrible surgical smell enveloped me, I notice a dark shape in the corner. How cliche. A young man with dark hair, sitting with a beautiful bouquet of flowers on his lap, his eyes glued to the floor. He looked so sad and worried; my heart reached for him. Maybe he knew what it was like to lose and therefore be lost.

Just as those words crossed my mind I heard a scream of my name

“JAMIA!!” I looked up to see...Lauren.

She had come to surprise me and see how it went. How nice of her .

As she yelled my name two heads turned. One was my own and the other of the man in the corner.

"Oh, bugger," I whispered as Lauren tugged at my arm.

"We're in the way!" she hissed. Indeed, we were still standing at the door of the hospital, blocking the way of some patients. I let her drag me out of the way.

The man in the corner was the one an only Frank Iero.

Why the hell was he here? Was he trying to rub it in or something? What a jerk.

Completely blanking Frank, I pulled Lauren's arm and started strolling calmly to my ward; my hands, however, were balled into tight little fists.

Frank, to my dismay, followed us. He was clearly here to take the piss outta me.

Wait...How did he know I was gonna be here? Does he stalk me?

Goddamn.

"'Mia, I think the man behind us wants to talk to you," Lauren whispered, noticing that he was following us.

I gritted my teeth, shook my head slightly and walked at a pace that had Lauren jogging to keep up. I didn't want to talk to him.

Despite my fast pace, he eventually caught us up just as we got to my ward waiting room. He came over to us as we sat down and was about to try to speak when, thankfully, my name was called to go for my check up.

I turned my back rudely for what I thought would be the last time on Frank.

--

So the check up went well. They said my nose should be fine and all that stuff.

Lauren and I were just getting in the car when a strong hand grabbed my arm, preventing me from walking any more. Panic filled my head as the stranger steered me into a dark, shadowy area.

“HELPP!!! HELP!!” I screamed. Why wasn't Lauren helping me?!

“Jamia, calm down it’s only me! Frank!” I heard Frank's voice behind me

“ HELPPP!! ATTACKK!!!" I screamed louder than I had been before, which I didn’t think was possible. Where was Lauren?

She finally appeared, and I noticed that a crowd had started to form around the scene. Lauren looked amused.

“Is this man bothered you?” a obviously rather slow stranger asked. I mean, no, I’m screaming for no reason, right? Of course, before I could express to this certain gentleman quite how stupid he was, Lauren stepped in.

“Don’t mind her sir, she's only being silly, aren’t you, Jamia?” she gave me a very pointed look.

Knowing I had to agree I nodded glumly and shook my arm free of the now very red faced Frank. Slowly the small crowd gathered moved on to go around there daily business.

“So, I came here today to give you these," he said, holding out a bunch of oriental lilies. “I thought you seemed like a lily person and these are my favourite kind. I thought you might like them too and yeah now I seem kinda sad to have favourite flowers and I got you red centred ones because... I don’t know, I thought you’d like them," he rambled, growing still redder

Well, he’d got me pretty much right. The flowers were so beautiful; I couldn’t not take them and I would feel terrible to throw them back in his face. So I accepted them as graciously as I could, considering I still didn’t like him, then left to get to the car.

As I got in I looked up to see Frank talking to Lauren . A feeling ran through me that I never thought I would feel in any situation to do with Frank.

Jealousy.

I thought he liked me, but now, as he asked my friend to write something which I assumed was her phone number up his tattooed arm, as they giggled about something, I knew that he either never had, or I’d blown my chance. Which was worse? ... I didn’t know.

Lauren stepped back in the car after about ten minutes of Frank flirting.

“He seems nice!” she exclaimed

“Just drive,“ I replied quietly before turning to face the window, my eyes welling up.

You don’t know how much you’ll miss something till it’s gone and I loved to think I had the attention of someone as amazing as him.

Even with his flaws.