The Title is Absent

Moving On

"Sharpies..." Check. "Highlighters..." Check. "Paper..." Check. "Straightener..." Wait, where? Oh yeah. Check! "...and.." I looked around and grabbed the sharp object. "...scissors. Check." With no more than a dry laugh, I shoved in the requested items on my mental list from my mussy bed to the inside of my plaid sack. As the broad sunlight seeped through my raggedy red curtains tacked up onto the cheap wood, my body paused its actions along with the immediate silence. Atop the overlapped sheets, a line of golden sun streamed across the rather uncomfortable mattress. Memories told me that the view of such rays brought a strange sense of melancholy behavior inside me to boil. I could feel it already, and it was the last thing I needed before this trip. Though, as I continued my sharp gaze onto it, I found it a comfort to feel such rage and anger. It brought me back to my old self, and how things used to be. I didn't want that. She told me I didn't want that. So, for the contentment, I reassured myself mentally that I wanted to have a fresh start in life. Without further quarrel with myself, I shook my head, a chuckle bellowing out from my empty stomach. God, I was so hungry. I slowly got up from my hovering position over the bed, my jade-stricken eyes keeping close attention to the "bag" I had put together before those events had happened.

A small jingle came from the sack as it swayed a little, my body's position as straight as a nail. I looked at the bag and checked for any fallen items. None. "Good," I took a satisfied sigh of relief, "No worries." In past attempts of keeping things in there, I was simply out of luck. Whenever I moved the damn thing around, it usually ended up exploding across the floor and hid the items in the giant mess of clothes and cans. Now coming to realization that I had finished my original goal, I faced the open door's crease with another drifty sigh. "Anna, I'm coming to the better side of hell now." There really was no reason for me to say this unless it was for the pure benefit to listen to my shallow and chapped voice, but I said it anyways. My bags were all packed, as I noticed when I turned around, and I was ready to leave hell's core. I loosened my tight clench around the tip of the bag and pulled out one of my little safety pins from my pocket. Where the ends of the cloth met, I carefully poked the sharp tip through and connected it together. For now, the bag would stay shut. I pulled the bandana cloth out from my back pocket and carefully looped it through the hole of the safety pin, remarkably managing to tare through it and cut it in half. As the rip came to an end, my eyes shifted down to the floor as the other end of the material cascaded down atop some empty Heinken bottle. The remainder of the cloth was through the safety pin hole, so I tied it around the handle of a bag of luggage in my possession.

"We're off to see the Wizard!" I cheered with a small laugh, shoving my arms quickly into the straps of my heavy, black backpack. I grabbed a hold of the other two bags full of luggage with each hand and took a big huff. Carrying this outside would be a hassle, and I needed to hurry and get this out before Mars came home from his whereabouts. I began to trudge along the dusty, formerly white carpet hall until I saw the cushioned, old couch that had once belonged to a friend of Mar's. Thank god his friend had spared us some furniture or we would be living on the tile and rusty mats we called a carpet.

As I turned my body around, I set the bags down carefully and reached into my left pocket. Instantly, I pulled out a set of keys; one for this shit hole, and another for the beaten down car I couldn't even drive a mile with. I slid my fingers over to the golden key, and quietly tip-toed to the brass knob. I didn't need the key just yet, but I did need to look and see if any familiar cars were in front of the driveway. A few minutes passed by of staring out at the front yard, and I finally felt my breathing pattern return to normal again. I was as safe as a kitten in a mill. I walked over to my bags and picked them up with as much strength as I could let out inside of me, my back hunched in ache as I stumbled back over to the front door. I was so glad I forgot to lock it for once; there was no way I was going to struggle to get these bags up again while inside. I used my elbow with a gruff and short grumble to turn the knob open, and backed away as the door flung out towards my direction. I could instantly feel the summer heat beating down on the old patio, and it let me tell you that it was far from pleasant. I squinted my eyes with an agitated look on my face and shuffled through the contaminated air. Shortly after, I dropped my bags with a muffled bang on the hard wood and slammed the door shut, enclosing the room where I had once shared many memories in. My key jammed into the knob and turned counter clockwise, the sharp sound making me assume it was locking the door. Just in case, I turned the knob to be sure what the noise had made was really telling the truth of what it was meant to do. I turned around and dragged my bags over to the curb of cement, my body slumped down between them next to the mailbox. This was the waiting moment for when my life was about to supposedly change.

Oh joy, waiting out here was going to be a blast! Pfft...