My Green Day Adventures (True Stories)

924 Gilman Street

Growing up my cousin Andrea was my hero, I wanted to be just like her. If she told me to go shit in the corner I would go and ask "Which corner and how much?". She was a "punk rocker" I guess as you may say. She had it all the vibrant hair color that changed monthly, the band or spray painted shirts, converse, dog pile pants, and all that other shit they wear. She had the snotty "fuck you" to society and the mainstream world type of attitude and like I said all that other shit that comes along with it.

She always told me about this place called Gilman Street. An all ages music foundation where the social outcasts and music lovers had a place to bond and felt a sense of belonging. She always told me about the bands that played there, the atmosphere, and the people. I remember we would sit in a bed room and just listen to bands EP's and she would share a story that went along, one she admired most was a band called Green Day. A band that would forever change my life.

I begged my mom to let me go one night with Andrea, since it was rumored to be Green Day's last gig there ever. It took a lot of convincing and a lot of rules, since I was only a few months shy of four years old, but in the end I was going. My mom was pretty cool about it though I've been raised on music and my mom is a concert goer too. She was just a bit skeptical with me being four and it being at an underground club.

I vaguely remember that day since I was only four, but enough to where I'll never forget (Also Andrea enlightened me on a few things.)

When you walk into Gilman you are welcomed by the stench of (sometimes) spray paint, body odor, smoke, and just a musty smell, in my opinion even today it's the most welcoming smell that I could ask for. I remember getting a membership card for a few dollars, in which I still have. I remember looking at the walls covered in graffiti, seeing different people express their opinions on things. The furniture was pulverized rips, tears, and holes took it up, along with spray paint on it to boot.

Andrea surprised me with a Green Day shirt she purchased at their merchandise stand. The shirt went down to my knees, which I still have as well, it even got signed by Mike Dirnt years later which I will get too later in the story. Green Day was the first band to go, and I was ready. I remember being a bit bummed out having to stand in the back (One of mom's rules). The place was packed, which was no surprise to me. I remember seeing Billie, Mike, and Tre run on the stageish thing if you could even call it that. Before the first drum beat, the first strum I was already focused.

I don't remember all the songs they played, since I didn't know them all at the time, but I remember instantly being captivated. I'm not sure if it was the raw guitar riffs and catchy tunes that got me, or their sense of them being snotty, but brotherly at the same time. To name a few songs, they played a song called Better Not Come Around if you are a Green Day fan you can guess that this is a Pre When I Come Around. Then I remember Longview which is a bit different then the version we are all familiar with today. Then they did Don't Leave Me, Christie Road, and Welcome to Paradiseif I'm not mistaken. A few others that I can't recall.

That night a legendary Green Day record was recorded a record called [i[Green Day Live at Gilman Street. Rarely you can find a few copies on EBay, but it's even sweeter to know that you were actually at that show.

After the show Andrea and I sat on the couches watching the remaining bands. Not to far from me I spotted Mike Dirnt (Although when I was younger I got Billie and Mike mixed up, so I thought it was Billie.) and Billie Joe Armstrong. I sat there trying to look all cool I guess, who knows what I was trying to do I was four.

A few minutes later Mike Dirnt came up to me and pointed to my shirt and went "Hey it's the youngest Green Day fan ever!" and patted me on the head. Mike Dirnt instantly became my new hero.

I don't remember much of what happened after that my cousin said that Tre gave me a high five, but I don't really remember that too well. I always thought I dreamed it or something, but she says it actually happened.

Everyone has that band that band that influences them and inspires them. Green Day became "My Band" after that night. Even today I wonder the type of person I would be if it wasn't for that night.