My Green Day Adventures (True Stories)

Tampa/Charlotte, North Carolina show

I'm just going to skip the Tampa show because nothing that spectacular happened except the usual "You again?" from Mike and now Tre started making acknowledgments. Oh and Mike said "Thank You" to me when Billie does his whole "We've been a band for the past 16 years thing".

Mom and I took a flight from Tampa to Greensboro, North Carolina, which is where my uncle lives. Greensboro is cool it reminds me a bit of Berkeley. we came in the night before and got up at 7 the next morning for the hour and a half drive to Charlotte. Something very significant would happen at this show I would meet someone that would changed my life in a way.

We ended up getting to the show at about 9ish. I sat there listening to The Distillers when this girl gets out a a car in ripped up pants and pulverized Green Day shirt exactly like my "Insomniac Tour" one. This show I wore the one I got from Gilman. The girl said "Hi people" and sat down, which is something I definitely do. You know how you just look at someone and go "Man I need to talk to that person"? That's what happened with this girl, she just seemed like someone I could connect with. I observed her and she took out a notebook and a CD player just like I typically did.

Despite the fact that my cell phone was right in my pocket I asked her if she had the time and she told me "Uh hold on I can't read my watch" (it just had dots indicating 3,6,9, or 12 O'clock" after a few seconds of observing her watch she said "10:20". Another thing that I would do. During that time I was going through that Tim Burton phase and she had a Nightmare Before Christmas watch so I added "I like you watch" and she said "I like your pants and hair". I was wearing these pants I call my Beetle Juice pants, because well they look just like them and I had a Rancid, Social Distortion, Green Day, Ramones, and a Clash patch on them. As for my hair I had just about every color you can imagine in it red, green, blue, purple, and a mixture of faded color.

I don't really know what really happened after that we just kept talking and walking around the arena. I found out her name was Michelle. I asked about her shirt and she as well was at a show when she was five! It was kind of like "At last I found a pre-American Idiot fan". We indulged on our facts and passion for Green Day. Later we exchanged screen names and email addresses.

Apparently the friend that was suppose to go with her got in trouble and couldn't go, so she was going alone. Once we got talking more she was fascinated to find out that I lived in Berkeley and wanted to know all of my Green Day experiences. At first I really didn't think she believed me, because I mean somethings are hard to believe. Then I found out that her mom was a nurse sort of toured with Green Day (hence her going to a show during the Insomniac Era) and she had met Mike and Tre as well. This was her third Green Day show.

Later Mom came and I introduced her to my mom and everything and we all went in and we both darted towards Mike's side (she didn't really have a preferred member of Green Day she liked them all the same). She isn't that keen on My Chemical Romance either so we both kinda stood there and anticipated Green Day to come. When they did I could see she was feeling the same thing I was.

Green Day came on and did there thing. I tried to help get her picked for "Knowledge", by looking at Billie and pointing to her and got everyone around to point at her, because she plays guitar and a smidge of bass.

She preferred to get picked for guitar since she didn't really play bass except a bit. She didn't get picked for guitar another girl did and she ended up getting kicked off stage, because she couldn't get it. We made another feeble attempt, but he picked another guy. Apparently the guy that got picked had already done it twice before and told Billie to give the guitar to the other girl. I thought that was a pretty cool thing to do.

That show I didn't catch a pick from Mike or anything, because if I would have I would have given it to Michelle. Nothing else that extravagant happened it was the usual set list and everything was the same. After the show my mom offered Michelle a ride to her hotel, because she didn't live in Charlotte. She accepted and we brought her to her Embassy Suites. I told her to email me and we could try to keep in contact, and she said she would.

I was highly doubtful on it, and was a bit bummed out because she was someone that as I said shared that same passion for Green Day as me and we were so much a like.

We went back to my Uncle's house and stayed for a few days and headed back to the bay area. The next show we had was Cleveland, Ohio which involves me gaining a lot more respect for Green Day's security.