My Green Day Adventures (True Stories)

Ft.Lauderdale show part I

Michelle and I emailed back and forth and decided to meet up at the Ft.Lauderdale, Florida show. Many many interesting things happened at this show. Oddly enough Michelle has a brother that lives in Fort Myers and I had my sister near Orlando. I wasn't going to visit with my sister though. Anyway Michelle had flown in a few days before to visit with her brother, mom and I were going to fly into Ft.Lauderdale the day before the show.

As some may know Hurricane Katrina was going through Florida this day (before it went out in the Gulf and got stronger and caused the disaster in New Orleans). I remember that day before we left sitting on the computer in Journalism going on weatherchannel.com tracking the storm. I found the number to the Staples Arena (I think that's the arena it was) calling to see if Green Day was still on. It got to the point where they recognized my voice and this one women would automatically go "Yes, Green Day is still on to play".

Mom and I left that next day for Ft.Lauderdale. We got as far as our layover in Dallas, Texas where we discovered that all flights flying to the East Coast of Florida were canceled due to the hurricane. The guy said that we could get a connecting flight to Ft.Myers International Airport, I instantly remembered that that's where Michelle's brother lived, but the problem was waiting to see if there was room on the plane. Right as I thought that my phone rang with Michelle on the other line giving me news on the storm. She told us to see if we could get a flight to Ft.Myers and we could all drive to Ft.Lauderdale together.

You don't know how boring Dallas airport is until you sit there for six hours anxiously waiting to see if you'll have a way out and then I was paranoid about the Green Day show, and then excited to see Michelle.

Finally hours later they said we could take a flight to Atlanta, Georgia and then get to Ft. Myers, the only down said was that we wouldn't get in until one in the morning. Mom and Michelle's mom talked and they said they would still pick us up no matter what time it was. I thought that was a pretty cool thing to do for the mere fact that Michelle's mom had never met us and Michelle had only met me once.

We got to Atlanta and waited many hours and finally got to Ft.Myers. Our luggage was lost, which was expected. Mechelle's mom stopped at a 24 hour Wal-Mart on the way so we could get just tid pit things, then we drove through Hurricane Katrina to the show arriving at our hotel at four in the morning.

That morning Michelle and I had set our alarm clocks for seven in the morning prepared to wait outside the arena during Hurricane Katrina.