My Green Day Adventures (True Stories)

Fort Lauderdale show part II

Michelle and I were a bit worried if people would be at the arena early due to the hurricane hence why we got there around seven in the morning. Yeah...no one showed up until 2:30 in the afternoon. We had fun though in the mean time.

We waved to everyone that walked by, just because that can come in handy sometime...

It was still pretty windy and a palm tree branch blew by. We made a sign that said "Michelle and Ellie's spot...Don't take it you losers" while we walked around the arena. We spotted the buses down below the arena and sat there for a while seeing if we recognized anyone. Micah waved to me and I saw a few security guards and familiar faces.

After a while we headed back to our spot. We sat there and listened to her IPod when we found this lady bug. We started playing it and decided to name it Stuart after the song "Stuart and the Ave", mostly because it was playing on her IPod at that time. To kill time we made him a little home out of palm tree leaves and other earthy things that blew by from the hurricane. We waved to people again, some I think we waved to a dozen times.

Later one guy came out that we had waved to quite a few times. He was on his phone and kind of eying us. We heard him say things like

"Yeah those to girls are still out here. I think we should give them some, they've been out here early. Did you you tell the band? Are they coming?" and just random things like that. I think you could imagine the things that were crossing our mind if you were in our shoes.

Then around noonish it started to pour down rain and got really windy so we took Stuart and ran under the roof of the arena and threw gummy worms out to see how far they flew by. Then we went out and played in the rain. Not long after the weather cleared this other girl came in a mini skirt and high heels. I asked her if she had floor, and she told me she did. She was definitely going to have fun...

We tried making friends with her, but she kind of blew us off. Although, we did indulge on Catcher in the Rye, because she was reading it.

Michelle and I were outside "playing" with Stuart. By this time we had dropped him numerous times and well erm sometimes we had to give him a little shove to move to make sure he was still alive. After the millionth time of dropping him (most of it was to be blamed on the wind) Michelle picked him up and goes

"Stuart your alive!"

No longer after she said that a gust of wind came and we never found him...We came up with this "R.I.P Stuart the first official victim of hurricane Katrina"

Around threeish security made us move away from the arena more, and they put up all these parades. By this time there were maybe fifty people in line. About an hour later that same guy that was on the phone earlier that day comes out with about ten passes hanging from his arm. Everyone started running up to them asking for one, when he said

"Hold on I have to give two to these girls over here, they've been out here since seven in the morning."

He gave out the rest of the passes to random people, and told us to follow him. They turned out to be VIP passes. We were going to get to go to Green Day's sound check, hang out in the VIP room, and get to go in the arena before anyone else. Pretty damn good if you ask me.

Oh yeah I forgot to say earlier remember that drummer from the Orlando show? He ended up asking to be my friend on Myspace and he said he was going to be at this show. Anyway I found him in the VIP line. He brought that crazy bassist, but he got in a minor car wreck or something on the way to the show, he was pretty pissed when he got there and saw that Nick (the drummer) and his girlfriend got a VIP pass. He got the crowd to chant "Fuck you Nick".

While we were standing there the guy that gave us VIP passes (his name is Matt) we hear Matt go

"God fucking dammit! I just stepped on a gummie worm! These are new shoes dammit!"

Michelle and I could contain ourselves and busted out laughing. Matt turns around and goes

"Did you two spill gummie worms out here earlier?"

"No...uh maybe...yes..."

"No VIP passes for you."

"No dude we're sorry it was an accident!"

"It's cool I was just kidding, but these are new shoes."

We apologized again and everything. We actually started to feel bad.

Not long after the gummie worm ordeal Green Day's security came it turned out to be Art. He told us the 101 that would basically happen. Before we walked in I heard these kids behind us whisper

"Wait their names are Billie Joe, Mike, and what's the drummers name?"

"I think it's Tre or something."

That pissed me off, because I'm sure there were much more passionate Green Day fans out there that would love to be doing what we were you know?

When we walked in they were playing "Boulevard of Broken Dreams". Then they went straight into "American Idiot" without the words. Then they went over in a huddle type and Billie grabbed a mic and went

"Test test uh Hi!"

of course everyone responded with a said "Hi"

Suddenly Nick yells

"Dude Billie I played drums in Orlando! I was good really good!"

"What's that?"

"I played drums in Orlando!"

"Huh?"

"I played drums in Orlando!"

"You played drums?"

"Yeah in Orlando!"

"Oh really? Yeah man I think I remember you."

"Yeah I was good really good!"

"If you were THAT good you wouldn't be sitting over there right now!"

Of course everyone laughed at this remark.

He asked what song we wanted to hear, and three people said "King for a Day" which they played. I thought it was kind of a waste of a request out of all the Green Day songs we could have heard when they were going to play it anyway that night anyway. It was still cool to hear it though without thousands of other people screaming it in your ear.

Another thing that annoyed me was remember those fellows before that didn't know what Green Day member from which? Well they kept yelling shit like

"Tre I want to fuck you!"

"Billie your so fucking hot I want to make out with you!"

"Mike! Mike! fuck me!"

I think Mike could hear them the best and he kind of had a "give me a break" kind of look on his face. After that they did "Longview" I believe.

After the sound check they talked to us from the stage.

"So anyone die from the hurricane?" asked Mike.

Then Tre came and sat between these two girls and put his arm around them and did typical things Tre would do. Then he gave them their drums sticks. Michelle and I didn't really get to communicate because we were at the end. I didn't really explain where we sat. We were in the arena in the first row you would sit in if you were up in seats.

After the sound check we hung out in the VIP room, but without Green Day. There was food, video games, music, and all that jazz. This ended up being sponsored by Verizon. One of the Verizon people came and sat down to Michelle and I.

"So what time did you guys get here?"

We told him at seven then he asked where we were from and everything. Of course when he heard that I was from California and Michelle was from North Carolina he asked how we met, a question that would get asked often on this tour. Then he asked where in California I lived and everything. It turns out that he lives in San Francisco and he was leaving the tour early to be with his daughter on her first day of school. We told him how we were going to the Sacramento and Fresno show (I'm not sure if I mentioned earlier that I invited Michelle to come to the Sacramento and Fresno show and I was going to show her all the Green Day places). Anyway we found out the guy's name was Neil and for us to enjoy the show and everything, because it was time for us to get patted down by security and take our places in front of the stage by Mike.