My Green Day Adventures (True Stories)

Remember When?

I ultimately became obsessed with Green Day after that show. I would go to school and show everyone my shirt, and tell my friends how "Billie Joe" had liked my shirt and patted me on the head. My family would always correct me and say it was Mike, but I still didn't believe them. After a while they just let me believe that it was Billie Joe that I met instead of Mike.

I remember not long after the show I got a pair of black high top converse. I remember walking down the street to Cori's house looking down at my shoes saying "Billie Joe would be so proud right now" because I was wearing converse.

A little less then a year later Dookie would hit the airwaves and become one of the biggest albums ever. Andrea bought it for me as an early birthday gift. I remember sitting in my room listening to Basket Case over and over again thinking it was the best thing ever. Although I didn't understand the meaning behind those songs filled with boredom, masturbation, and angst that album was like what a bible is to a Christian for me.

Not too long after that I found a pink plastic guitar at a thrift store. I came home and painted it and put stickers on it just like Billie Joe's. My mom still has home movies of me dancing with it in my Green Day shirt and converse with Basket Case playing in the background.

I remember wanting to see Green Day play so bad when they came to Oakland Coliseum (Because Andrea was going), but my mom wasn't down for that yet, but Andrea got me a shirt and a poster when she went.

Then when I was what seven the Spice Girls came in the picture and I focused my attention more towards them, I don't care what anyone says basically everyone got into the Spice Girls when they came out.

When I think about it I really have Andrea to thank she kind of always got me back into Green Day when I swayed away from them. Then when I was eight Nimrod came out. Andrea had gotten me Insomniac and Nimrod for whatever reason. That then became my foundation.

I remember thinking I was getting into heavy metal, because Billie screamed "Shit" in Hitchin' A Ride, and Platypus had so much profanity. Insomniac I wasn't as impressed with at the time, but I still thought it made me look hardcore or something, because it was a bit rougher. I think that's mostly because I didn't realize the meaning behind those songs. Nimrod on the other hand went everywhere with me. I loved that album I still do. I would brake out my then red converse and pink guitar and run around my room to it, once again thinking that some how Green Day could see me through a poster and think I was cool.

About a year and a half later Green Day played Bridge School Benefit and my Mom and Dad were going. I on the other hand was foolish and wanted to go trick or treating and missed it, because it was on Halloween. Mom claims she told me Green Day was going to be there, but I didn't listen. I don't remember her saying that, but whatever. I remember throwing a fit that I didn't get too go and to this day I remember my mom saying "Years from now I doubt you'll ever still like that band." She was indeed wrong.

It wouldn't be until that next year (2000) that I would once again get to see Green Day live again. Another show that would inspire me in ways that I never would think were possible.