My Green Day Adventures (True Stories)

Rudy's Can't Fail and Gilman Street

Michelle and I were exhausted from the back to back shows, but there was still more Green Day in store. We woke up earlier that morning to go for breakfast at Rudy's Can't Fail cafe, aka Mike Dirnts cafe. In all honesty it was only my second time going. I only went when it first opened and then with Michelle. Now, I go to it every few weeks to where I'm friends with some of the waiters and even encountered Mike Dirnt himself there once. Of course, I'll get to that later.

Something you should know about Michelle and I is that not only were we beat down, but we were also getting sick. I didn't say much on it, because I didn't want to spoil the fun and I think Michelle was a bit shy since we still weren't all that familiar with each other. My mom took pictures of us sitting out front on the lawn chairs, sick. In the mornings Rudy's is always packed, especially on the weekends, which was when we went. Also, just to add a fun fact about Rudy's is that the street behind it is called "Holden Street", which we both got a bit of a kick out of.

After, Rudy's we took her into San Francisco. We drove around and took her on cable cars and went to Golden Gate Park. Oddly enough, there wasn't a cloud in the sky and we got perfect pictures of the Golden Gate Bridge. Then, we took her to "The Haight". In other words, Haight Ashbury, which was where a lot of hippie movements took place in the sixties, and many still believe we are in the sixties. We ended up picking up a copy of The Networks Money Money 2020, which oddly enough that night was when the announced they were playing with Green Day for those few shows.

Then, after San Francisco we went to Telegraph, which is another street in Berkeley where there are many thrift stores, music stores, and run down hippies. We showed her "Stuart Ave" (Hence the Green Day song Stuart and the Ave). We spent a lot more time at these places then I'm saying.

Finally, to conclude our night we went to Gilman Street. Once again it was my second time of going since I had seen Green Day. Some of it looked the same, and of course some of it changed. I showed her where I was when Mike came up to me and everything. I had heard that there was "Green Day Graffiti" on the walls in the girls bathroom. I highly doubt that any of it is still from back when they played there, but some of it mysteriously does look like Billie Joe's writing.

A band called Love Songs played. We had hung out with them before the show. When they found out that Michelle was from North Carolina they decided to dedicate a song to her, which I thought was pretty cool.

"Who here's from North Caroline?"

Michelle raises her hand.

"That makes one. This song goes out to you!"

After, Gilman we went back home and went to bed early so we could wake up to take Michelle to Sacramento where she would fly home, that is until we both woke up the next morning puking. Michelle couldn't fly and stayed an extra day. The day after that we woke up early and took her to Sacramento and then came back to the Bay Area so we could get to Oakland International Airport to go to Las Vegas to see Green Day again. Crazy I know.

I was still sick. I wasn't puking anymore, but still had a throat that was killing me, achy body, fever, headache, stuffy nose, and all that other shit that comes with getting sick. But Green Day was worth it.

The whole flight to Las Vegas I listened to The Network. I wanted to memorize all the songs, because they were performing in Las Vegas.

That night we got there and I crashed and got up early again the next morning to wait in line for the Las Vegas show.