My Green Day Adventures (True Stories)

Waiting

It was that fateful day of Saturday July 1, 2000 in San Francisco. It was technically Van's Warped Tour, but I only went to see Green Day. Andrea and my Dad wanted to see some other bands, which I was fine with. I wore the Green Day shirt I had gotten at Gilman, by now it had faded, had rips, holes, and tears. Mom feared one day it would get destroyed in the wash, but I was going to keep wearing it until that day came. Most likely I would have sown it back together anyway. To preserve it I would wear in numerous times without washing it.

This time I was going to be able to see them up close. Dad and Andrea stood behind me so I wouldn't get too smooshed into the barricade when Green Day came out. I was going to be right up in front of Mike I remember the anticipation of them coming out, feeling all spastic and wound up. Then they ran on stage. I remember feeling a more intense feeling then I did when I first saw them seven years ago.

I remember looking up at them and wanting to run on stage and poke them to make sure they were real, or something you? That they weren't some type of hologram, or I wasn't dreaming and my mind wasn't playing foolish tricks on me.

At that show they made me know what I wanted to do with the rest of my life, which was to play music. I promised myself in that show that I would learn to play an instrument and focus all my attention in that direction. Something changed me about that show. Well, all of it did, but one even in particular did. At the end of them playing "When I Come Around" I caught Mike Dirnt's pick. I remember thinking that that was his way of "telling me" to play music, that right there just instilled that in me.

At the show I ended up purchasing a "Warning" single (since Warning had not come out yet) and a Warped Tour shirt, and a concert poster.

When I got back home I told everyone that Mike Dirnt (I had finally discovered that for years I was wrong saying I had met Billie) had given me his pick and was secretly telling me I need to learn to play an instrument, which is exactly what I intended to do.

That October "Warning" came out. Although, many critics say it's their worst album, but it will always have a place in my heart. Sure, I wouldn't rank it in my top 10 favorite albums or my top 3 Green Day albums, but I still think it's a brilliant album. Also, it was the first album I bought with my own money.

We were driving down to Fresno to see my grandma for Thanksgiving the day I got it, and the whole way there I listened to "Warning" pondering on how great it was. I liked how "Misery" had some sort of a story line too it and had different sounds in it. Then I loved how I would get confused for a while thinking "Waiting" had ended.

It wasn't until Christmas when I finally got a Fender Stratocaster. It was the only thing I asked for and I got it. Another part of the gift was I was going to get guitar lessons. After that I just took off, and my dreams started unfolding and I was beginning to figure out what I wanted to do with my life.