My Green Day Adventures (True Stories)

I must insist on being the pessimist

Ah the joys of being thirteen and in middle school. The time when every adult seems to be after you and your life seems to be crashing down. Your best friends from Elementary school ditch you all for the popularity aspect, and then you gain new ones that ditch you in high school. I hated middle school with a Passion, along with high school, but if I had the choice to relive either I would definitely pick high school. In middle school I was that social outcast in the back of the room that everyone treated like rubbish on the side of the road, because I had different views on things, and didn't dress like every other person in that damn school. Instead I sat in the back of the room hiding the headphones under the bright blue hair and writing songs.

I had once again swayed a bit away from Green Day. I still wore my shirts every once in a while and would get the "Who's Green Day?" question from some and corresponded with others that digged them as well. I kind of tried to forget about them at times, because that was around the time it was rumored they may split up.

My new influences became Good Charlotte and Sum 41. Oh yeah, and Avril Lavigne I liked her snotty attitude, and it was pretty cool seeing a chick in the mainstream scene at the time. I think as much as some people bash those bands/people you have to get into them to get to the "real punk" at least in my opinion. Green Day was still there a bit, but my "Dookie" and "Insomniac", and the other CD's were in my closet collecting dust.

I remember coming home one day just really pissed off and bummed out. I detested school, my friends, my peers, family, parents, my town, how I looked, how I acted, and everything. I wasn't getting the guys, grades, or friends. I was sick of always feeling ashamed of everything I did.

That night I laid on my bed staring at the fan turning just trying to find answers to this long twisted road of becoming a teenager. Then I looked over at my wall and saw the ticket stub from when I saw Green Day a few years ago, and thought I'd give them a listen.

I remember finding "Dookie" in my closet the memories pouring back into my mind from looking at the cover. I climbed on the roof of my house staring at the stars listening to "Dookie". Then it clicked. It's amazing when you hear a song and suddenly you get what they're saying in the song. I could feel what Billie was feeling when he wrote "Having a Blast" and "F.O.D". I clicked with Mike's "Emenius Sleepus". Hell that whole album I finally understood. It wasn't like when I was 5 and was like 'Whoa Basket Case sounds cool!" It's "Holy shit he's telling me the story of my life."

Then I climbed back down and went into my room and grabbed "Insomniac". I felt like I was in a story and the songs were the narrators. "Armatage Shanks", "Bab's Ulvula Who?" , and "Brat" were the stories of my life as well. Both those albums were exactly how I was feeling. It just made everything make sense and I wasn't the only person feeling it.

I remember sitting there listening to those albums on the roof until two in the morning. It was all I listened to for months.

Ironically enough the next day Andrea had found an "International Superhits" promotion poster somewhere, along with "International Superhits". Yet again I have to thank her for reminding me how amazing Green Day was.